• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Should I get a DS?

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
How expensive is the console and its games? Is it worthy at this point 3DS at the door?

Moose

Meta Moose
If I were you I'd hold my ground and wait for the 3DS. There are some cool games being released and it would be annoying to miss out on them because of impatience.

EDIT: The only thing I'd be weary about is the fact that you might not be able to 'hack' (buy a flashcart) for the 3DS for quite a while after release.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Definitely not worth buying it now. Best to save up for the 3DS when it comes out, seeing how it has backwards compatibility and the 3D is simply amazing. While you can find one for about $100-120 now, it's not worth it at this point.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Will DS/GBA games be retro compatible though?

Moose

Meta Moose
It will certainly be DS/DSi backwards compatible, but I wouldn't be so sure about GBA... since the DSi it doesn't really look like they are bothered with supporting games further back than the DS on their newer handheld consoles.

Serideth

I'd definitely hold out for the 3DS, I was about to buy a DSi before the announced that and I'm glad I didn't.

Riorio99

If you want to pirate, get a DSLite, and a cheap flash cart, Acekard 2i is the best for a decent price right now.
If you're staying legit, wait for the 3DS and get a GBA on ebay if you really wanna play GBA games. The 3DS is unlikely to be hacked for a while, especially after what is happening with the Wii and DS right now. I don't know anyone that actively pays for games on those consoles except me, since I went legit a few months ago.

El Diablo

I was looking on ebay yesterday at dslites and saw one for 50 dollars I could have bought if I had the money. If you can find a decently cheap ds lite I would definitely suggest buying it and a flash cart. There's quite a lot of good, fun games for the DS and if you can get one fairly cheap I would say you should buy one while waiting for the 3ds.

Adiuvo

I can't imagine it will support GBA. Nintendo seems to only support one generation earlier in backwards compatibility and not the previous.

As for buying it, I would wait for the 3DS as well. The DS is still a fantastic system but the 3DS isn't that far away assuming Nintendo doesn't pull something out of left field. If they do, go for it.

ultimakillz

Teh Fett Mawn
only the ds and the ds lite have gba compatibility. the dsi doesnt have it, so im sure the new 3ds wont either. as far as backwards compatibility with regular ds games, im sure the 3ds will have that but im not certain.

i have a ds lite. i do not have a flash cart for it, but i still enjoy it a lot. the system itself it pretty cheap (now-a-days), and the games are cheap as well, usually something like $30-$40 brand new. the main reason i bought one if mainly for the rpg remakes, but it has plenty of other good games for the mature gamer.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
only the ds and the ds lite have gba compatibility. the dsi doesnt have it, so im sure the new 3ds wont either. as far as backwards compatibility with regular ds games, im sure the 3ds will have that but im not certain.

i have a ds lite. i do not have a flash cart for it, but i still enjoy it a lot. the system itself it pretty cheap (now-a-days), and the games are cheap as well, usually something like $30-$40 brand new. the main reason i bought one if mainly for the rpg remakes, but it has plenty of other good games for the mature gamer.

Just a thought but GBA compatibility with 3d effects would be interesting...since the game screen is made of layers, it should be feasible.

@Kezra, I'd recommend waiting for a 3DS with it's DS compatibility and get a GBA SP for gba games ;)

shikamaru

Senior Member ~ Trolololo
Wait for the 3DS but for now, pick up a cheap GBA SP. I really don't think you should buy a console when the successor has been announced.

TheMysteriousThug

An Annoying Motherfucker
Wait until the 3DS. It will have support for DS games. For hacking you may have to wait. But it should be worth it because Nintendo has a lot of support for launch this time around.

LocutusEstBorg

If you actually like the games, you can't go wrong with any Nintendo console. However wait for the 3DS. Getting a DS now is like buying an iPhone 3GS instead of the iPhone 4.

phoenixv5

I'm a complete newbie in this matter. But i need to know something.
I plan to buy a ds lite or dsi. Which is better?
Does a flash kart work in both? I'm talking about one with a microsd slot.
Do i need to hack the ds or something with else, or is the flash kart be all i need?
Also does it support multiple roms, sine microsd have 2gb storage? (4 gb and above is sdhc). And do i just put an nds file in the card and it'll work or any folder structure required?

phoenixv5

not interested in 3ds

Really?

Well in that case, it's up to you. The DSi has a camera and unique downloadable titles (like this), whereas the DSLite is most likely cheaper and has GBA support.

Most flash carts should work with either model, just confirm before buying.

phoenixv5

so .nds files and homebrew will work if used with a flash kart, right of the bag?
You don't need to apply seperate hack like psp?

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Nope, that's what makes the flashcarts so popular. For most of the carts you just need to drag-n-drop them onto the microSD card and play them. Some of them may require "fixes" to the ROM to work but that's only more recent ones and aren't that common