• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PSP "simple" AV cable or component AV cable?

Hellcat

Contributor
Hey guys :)

About to order an AV cable for my PSP (go).
Can't decide which one, the "simpler" one (the 3 connectors FBAS one, Yellow plug, red and white) or the component one.

I remember there was some catch with the "simpler" one....
Although I'd be able to use it on more displays, as the FBAS input is way more common than the component one....

Any suggestions?

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Hey guys :)

About to order an AV cable for my PSP (go).
Can't decide which one, the "simpler" one (the 3 connectors FBAS one, Yellow plug, red and white) or the component one.

I remember there was some catch with the "simpler" one....
Although I'd be able to use it on more displays, as the FBAS input is way more common than the component one....

Any suggestions?

The component one is the only one supported officially so to use the other with the RCA cables, I think you need to use a plugin. That's from what I remember, please don't take it as definite until someone says I'm right for sure. I'm about 95% sure though :D

Just double checked and the RCA cable cannot display game output (still not 100% on if you can with a plugin but I'm pretty sure) but it can output movie playback and show pictures. Just to make sure, I'd get the component cable.

Adiuvo

Doesn't the component give a better picture?

Hellcat

Contributor
Yes, component is a better picture, but I'd have taken a slightly "unbetter" picture for the ability to use it on most common displays - unfortunately, as MenaceInc stated, I think to also remember (now that he mentioned it), only the component cable supports game output.

Since it's the PSPgo, there's also no plugins for me to counter that ;)

So, I'll get the component one and only use it on my bigscreen TV then.... good enough.

AV cable + wireless SixAxis hooked to the PSP = WIN :D

Adiuvo

Ah, so it does mean that. I wasn't sure since you were trying to decide between them, and that put what I thought in doubt since component is pretty much always superior.

Component cables also prevent the bad stretching you get with composite in PSX games. If you use the latter text is unreadable.

LocutusEstBorg

You cannot play games on a composhite cable; you need to use the FuSa plugin. Get component. Plus on component homebrew can output native 720x480p. Games will still be letterboxed 480x272 on component, so unless your TV is intelligent enough to upscale ignoring letterboxes its not going to touch the edges of the screen.

Buy something like this instead:http://www.consoleshop.com/product.php?productid=20666

MenaceInc

Staff Member
You cannot play games on a composhite cable; you need to use the FuSa plugin. Get component. Plus on component homebrew can output native 720x480p.

Buy something like this instead:http://www.consoleshop.com/product.php?productid=20666

Very nice alteration to the word composite there. Very appropiate.

But yes, Torch brings up a valid point that if you have the capability, you should use the component cable+FuSa plugin instead.

LocutusEstBorg

Very nice alteration to the word composite there. Very appropiate.

But yes, Torch brings up a valid point that if you have the capability, you should use the component cable+FuSa plugin instead.

?? You only need FuSa to play games over composhite. Component is officially supported.

Hellcat

Contributor
Yup, got the component cable :)
Unfortunately I can't use FuSa, unless some one gives me CFW for the PSPgo :p

Can't use it on composite input displays, but being unable to play games on it would make that useless anyway.
So what, works perfectly fine on my big TV :)

LocutusEstBorg

You can't connect component to a composhite input without an active converter box. FuSa makes the PSP output games through a composhite cable.

Hellcat

Contributor
Yeah, typo, my fault xD
Wrote "Can use" but meant "Can't use".

Well, like said, composite output is useless w/o being able to play games on it, and I can't use FuSa.

Besides, component gives better quallity anyway and I'm pretty much only going to use it on my TV at home.

So all cool :D