• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

360 Soft modding

B

Bizarre

Ok so since I have 2 consoles I decided I want to soft mod my 360, but before I do I have some questions.

MS can't detect soft mods right? Only hard mods?
I have a 2009 Dell Inspiron, does it have a DVD burner already in it?
And how many people here have theirs modded in any way?

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Ok so since I have 2 consoles I decided I want to soft mod my 360, but before I do I have some questions.

MS can't detect soft mods right? Only hard mods?
I have a 2009 Dell Inspiron, does it have a DVD burner already in it?
And how many people here have theirs modded in any way?

What's the difference.. there is only one way to mod your 360.

Yes MS can detect it. You won't get banned instantly, but your account will get flagged, might be banned a year from now who knows. Almost everyone I know that modded their box has been banned from XBL and yes they used stealth dumps etc.

Robby

Los Doyers!
They can detect it but its highly unlikely. The only way I hear people of being banned is if they play bad rips, or had a bad stealth patch.

I have modded 2 of my 360s and over 20 of others.
I even play games early when ever I can, and still no ban.
If the game is ripped correctly, there is a very very slim to no chance microsoft can tell the difference from a retail game.

I read having your 360 modded but playing retail games can not get you banned. Because Microsoft can't tell if your dvd drive is modded or not. I don't know if this is true.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
The 360 logs data everytime a game is played. Data that is sent to MS, revealing the disc ID among other details on Live connect. Meaning if you play a game a week ahead of street date, that greatly increases the chances of being flagged..

They haven't done a ban wave in awhile though. Waiting for the next major update, I guess. At least the ban only affects a single console though, not your Live account.

There is no foolproof way to not get banned. Even if your dumps are all "good," it can still happen, the chances are just decreased. There are other factors at play and not all of them are known.

B

Bizarre

They can detect it but its highly unlikely. The only way I hear people of being banned is if they play bad rips, or had a bad stealth patch.

I have modded 2 of my 360s and over 20 of others.
I even play games early when ever I can, and still no ban.
If the game is ripped correctly, there is a very very slim to no chance microsoft can tell the difference from a retail game.

I read having your 360 modded but playing retail games can not get you banned. Because Microsoft can't tell if your dvd drive is modded or not. I don't know if this is true.

What do you mean by bad rips how would you know if you have a bad rip?

Robby

Los Doyers!
The 360 logs data everytime a game is played. Data that is sent to MS, revealing the disc ID among other details on Live connect. Meaning if you play a game a week ahead of street date, that greatly increases the chances of being flagged..

They haven't done a ban wave in awhile though. Waiting for the next major update, I guess. At least the ban only affects a single console though, not your Live account.

There is no foolproof way to not get banned. Even if your dumps are all "good," it can still happen, the chances are just decreased. There are other factors at play and not all of them are known.

Street release dates get broken so the real retail game is out and about.
Madden 10 was a recent one, it was released a week early. The 7/11 around the block was selling them. So no, playing games early will not get you banned all the time.
My friend has had a modded console since the invention of ix firmware. He played tons of games early that were available to download before release and he survived past a couple of ban waves.

I know the 360 logs data but how can they tell the difference between a retail copy from a exact rip/burn?
The only people that I know that have been banned played games that did not verify. I made it through the last ban wave also.
But if you are going to mod your xbox, keep in mind that there is a chance you can get banned. But from all the money you save from downloading games, you can easily sell your banned console for $80 and buy a used one at gamestop for $150 which is nothing since you save so much from not buying games you would have normally bought.

---------- Post added at 04:10 PM EST ---------- Previous post was at 04:08 PM EST ----------

What do you mean by bad rips how would you know if you have a bad rip?
Run the iso through abgx and it will compare the SS file I believe with a real retail copy and if it matches it will pass, if it doesn't it will tell you in red letters verification did not pass. Those are the games you stay away from.

Sousanator

Shockingly Delicious
I also got to say there is no sure way to be safe. My friend and I all play the same games (same copies and everything) and during the last big banwave I got banned and he didn't. You can find 360's so cheap nowadays that it doesn't really matter if you get banned though.

Lachrymose

smokeMeth();
I sometimes think M$ will go through warez sites to look at sigs to look at modders gamertags and ban them like that :p

I haven't been banned yet. I have a question though. What have past banwaves been from? What were the big things that flagged consoles?

Craig Fairfax

illuminati Vereran
If you don't want to get banned don't mod your console. And if the ban wave doesn't stop you the inevitable hardware failure will.

B

Bizarre

Ok guys sorry for the bump but I'm going in a couple of hours to mod my system, do the newer laptops(mine is 2009 model) have a dvd burner built inside?

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Ok guys sorry for the bump but I'm going in a couple of hours to mod my system, do the newer laptops(mine is 2009 model) have a dvd burner built inside?

You'll need to provide us the model number of your computer for us to accurately identify what kind of drive it uses

dewser

hey just got onto this site but you do not want to burn your copys on a laptop i hear that they do not burn a gunuine copy and most of my friends that got the banhammer had burned games from a laptop but who really knows just a thought

B

Bizarre

Laptop has nothing to do with it, it's all about the rip of the game you got, if it's a good or bad.