• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Softmod Your Wii without Zelda or Modchip

eighty4

NOTE: This will brick any LU64 or newer Wii's
Some apps are now capable of bricking the Wii, please refer to this guide before installing anything: Apps that BRICK now. - GBAtemp.net

82b6799064a7f10ae29295369a232ede.png

[FIELDSET="Mod your Wii?"]Modding your Wii will grant you the ability to play homebrew games and "backed up" games. It will also allow you to apply game mods, similar to those of Brawl+, which makes Brawl a more suitable game for those who know the entire chemistry behind it. If you don't think this guide will do you any justice or doesn't tickle your fancy, please press the back button as I don't aim to waste time. [/FIELDSET]

This will brick lu64+ wii's..... There's other methods you should use that are safe on all wii consoles.

Banner Bomb -> Homebrew Channel -> Trucha Bug Restorer -> Install Cios R14. -> Play backups / homebrew.

As there's not even a word of warning about lu64+ wii's your likely to brick people with this guide and have some unhappy kids crying at mformature.

Materials:

• Nintendo Wii
  • SD Card
  • Wiimote
  • Common Sense
  • This download

Guide:

If you are NOT on 4.1 or 4.0, PLEASE update before following this guide.

1)
Make sure you delete EVERYTHING off your SD card. Leave nothing on it, if you choose to format it - format as FAT, not FAT32.
2) Copy the contents of the file you received to the root of your SD Card. For example you should have /apps/wad manager etc etc
3) Go to your Wii Settings, then go to Data Management, after that choose Channels, then finally SD.
4) Answer "yes" when asked to load boot.dol
5) This is load LoadMii, press A afterwards.
6) Press "A" on DowngraderIOS35.dol
7) Choose Downgrade IOS35 and then exit. You do not have to worry about the PatchMii and DVDX installations.
8) You should be back in LoadMii now, so go to WAD Manager and go with the normal settings.
9) Install the IOS35.wad
10) Exit (press Home) and go back to LoadMii and then Wad Manager.
11) Choose IOS35 when it prompts for which IOS to use.
12) Install CIOSv7.wad then exit again.
13) Choose IOS249 and then install the IOS36.wad and HBC.wad

You now have the HBC installed and fully working. :)

If you want to install StartMenu patches you will need to do the following:

1) Run HBC and load up the WAD Manager and install IOS60patched.wad
2) Exit that, go back tot he HBC and run the cIOSrev10 Installer.
3) Exit, run IOS DOwngrade from HBC, then exit that and run CIOSCORP.
4) Now here you can install either Preloader or StartPatch. StartPatch allows you to freely move the disc channel, if you ever choose to.

twelve

I'm not dead
Great guide. Stickified.

I would +rep but apparently I have to spread it around before I can give you any more.

Lampworker

This will brick lu64+ wii's.

Banner Bomb -> Homebrew Channel -> Trucha Bug Restorer -> Install Cios R14. -> Play backups / homebrew.

This the quality you can expect from mformature. They post guides that represent the site without checking any of the content or without any understanding of it.

Rather brick your console and laugh at you then assist you. Beware.

eighty4

I used this method on a friends Wii the other day which he got brand new from Gamestop, which implies it was a LU64 or above. It couldve just been him, but no matter towards it. Will add disclaimer when I can access a computer.

acidmc

I folllowed this to a T and now it says system files are corrupted it looks like its all jumbled up... HELP

SeanyP

im on 3.2e and installed HBC and a backup launcher a while back, recently i tried playing new backups and was getting an error with them, i assume cos my channels werent up to date, i've installed countless IOS's and had no luck, if i start over, update to 4.0 or 4.1 and reinstall the backup launcher will this fix it?
sorry i cant give much more info, wii softmodding confuses me!

Seth

MD Party Room
It be worth a try

eighty4

im on 3.2e and installed HBC and a backup launcher a while back, recently i tried playing new backups and was getting an error with them, i assume cos my channels werent up to date, i've installed countless IOS's and had no luck, if i start over, update to 4.0 or 4.1 and reinstall the backup launcher will this fix it?
sorry i cant give much more info, wii softmodding confuses me!

Please don't give info on what you don't know Seth. :/

Anyways, look up Waninkoko 4.0 Updater. It will update your console to 4.0 while still retaining the softmod.

SeanyP

Please don't give info on what you don't know Seth. :/

Anyways, look up Waninkoko 4.0 Updater. It will update your console to 4.0 while still retaining the softmod.

thanks! I'll try it out at the weekend :)

jbizzle420

Thank you!

Thank you this worked perfect for me I just wanted to be able to play my backup games and they all finally worked except mario super sluggers and mario kart I cant figure out why. The only thing is I dont have the homebrew browser just the channel did i do something wrong? I also would like to be able to play dvds will the dvd program that you can get in the homebrew browser work after I get it on the wii. Oh and can I update my wii or homebrew or do I always say no? Any help would be appreciated.

jbizzle420

?

Ok but u didnt answer why I dont have a homebrew browser. Also is there a diffrent way I need to load mario kart and mario super sluggers other than the game channel cause every backup ive made works except those two and Im getting the same error (cant load disc) as I was with all my games after I followed the first part of your instructions. Then when I did the start menu patches part i got to like step 2 or 3 and theres a part missing about which option to choose so I stopped there then all of a sudden all the backups work except mario ones. Im so confused.:confused: