• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Some mild concerns about hdmi

ilyace

This is my first time using hdmi, so I'm not sure if the following is normal or not: I'm noticing that the quality of the hdmi picture is a little fuzzy. I have my ps3 hooked up to my monitor (Samsung T260HD) using hdmi, using 1080p atm, and it does this on every res below 1080p as well. I don't think that it's a problem with the screen since I have my pc hooked up to it via dvi and it works perfectly. Is the fuzziness of the picture normal through hdmi? Could it be the quality of the hdmi cable?

That seems odd, I have a HDMI setup for my PS3, and the image doesen't get fuzzy on low resolutions, I would check your panel's settings, it may be using some post-processing which screws up the picture. There should be a 'Game Mode' or something. It probably enabled it by default when using DVI.

On the topic of HDMI, does the quality of the cable really matter that much? Apparently, the high-quality ones 'improve picture' somehow, but if it's data, the quality shouldn't affect the image should it?

Sousanator

Shockingly Delicious
On the topic of HDMI, does the quality of the cable really matter that much? Apparently, the high-quality ones 'improve picture' somehow, but if it's data, the quality shouldn't affect the image should it?
From my readings, there is no difference between $3 monoprice cables to $80 monster cables since HDMI is digital (only sends a 0 or 1, no in-between like analog), but bandwidth may vary (which right now doesn't look like it matters).

ilyace

That seems odd, I have a HDMI setup for my PS3, and the image doesen't get fuzzy on low resolutions, I would check your panel's settings, it may be using some post-processing which screws up the picture. There should be a 'Game Mode' or something. It probably enabled it by default when using DVI.

I've been playing around with the monitor settings and haven't seen any improvements yet, but i'll keep trying.

Maybe the monitor is defective? I tried component but it wasn't getting a signal :(

If it's only resolutions other that 1080p/i that are affected, maybe try setting 1080p/i as the only supported setting? Even games that don't support 1080p will be bumped up. That may work as a temporary fix. What content exactly is fuzzy in lower resoultion modes? like what kind of game goes fuzzy?

From my readings, there is no difference between $3 monoprice cables to $80 monster cables since HDMI is digital (only sends a 0 or 1, no in-between like analog), but bandwidth may vary (which right now doesn't look like it matters).

Exactly. That's what I always thought.

Greyone

Funny Little Green Ghouls
yeah, you only need a 1.3a certified hdmi cable if you are running the cable a long distance.

Also, did you hold down the power button till it beeped twice ? The reason you might not have gotten signal with component is because the ps3 was set up for hdmi still.

Does your monitor accept 1080p through component ?

ilyace

I'll try out component again tomorrow.

And I've tried out every res, including only ticking one at a time.

EDIT: Just tried out component, held the ps3 power button till it beeped twice, and still no signal...Looks like things are pointing to a defective screen :(

explosions

Have you tried a HDMI -> DVI adapter?