• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PS3 Sony Believes OtherOS Plaintiffs Involved In 'Hacking Conspiracy,' Wants To Inspect Hard Drives

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
otherosligitation.jpg

Sony has moved to dismiss claims made in a class action lawsuit by avid PS3 Linux users, a litigation*that was prompted earlier last year following the company's removal of Other OS. In a filing dug up by Groklaw, Sony is asking the court for permission to inspect the hard drives of those involved in the suit, on the basis that they may possibly be involved in a 'hacking conspiracy.' Additionally, Sony wants access to the data to determine if their claims of actually using the Other OS feature have merit.

Interestingly, in the court documents, SCEA claims that it had no say in the decision to nix Other OS, that it was all SCEI's doing[...]

Continue reading: Sony Believes OtherOS Plaintiffs Involved In 'Hacking Conspiracy,' Wants To Inspect Hard Drives...

TeamOverload

If the courts give them permission to do this, we're all doomed. Say goodbye to privacy, I'd say this is a bit extreme to say the least.

Spiros

Maiki
Absolutely, though I would hope that there's no way in hell the courts would allow this.

Hellcat

Contributor
I think Sony is finally loosing it.... they really are.... is this EVER going to end?

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
It makes a whole lot of sense to make this request from the people tied to the class action suit. I'm sure whoever is representing the group must have assumed this request would be made eventually.

It's like a medical class action suit asking for doctor's records so people not affected don't piggyback on the potential favorable ruling. I have no problem with this.

ultimakillz

Teh Fett Mawn
i think the whole scea vs. scei is very interesting in this article (and even more-so in the source). it seems obvious to me that they are playing both sides of the fence. hopefully a judge will notice this and say they need to stick with one or the other as the situation is a major factor in multiple lawsuits.

TeamOverload

It makes a whole lot of sense to make this request from the people tied to the class action suit. I'm sure whoever is representing the group must have assumed this request would be made eventually.

It's like a medical class action suit asking for doctor's records so people not affected don't piggyback on the potential favorable ruling. I have no problem with this.

Ehh, how much do class action lawsuits like this actually give to people though? Most payout like $3 a person and don't even bother asking for proof. Technically any PS3 owner could have been impacted, as they could have wanted to install otherOS and never gotten around to it, but purchased it when that feature was still advertised.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
Ehh, how much do class action lawsuits like this actually give to people though? Most payout like $3 a person and don't even bother asking for proof. Technically any PS3 owner could have been impacted, as they could have wanted to install otherOS and never gotten around to it, but purchased it when that feature was still advertised.

Yeah, anytime I have ever received a check for any class action rulings it has been only a few dollars. But that's really not the point. The point is that the judge will see Sony asking to do proper due diligence for their defense and I'm sure he will allow it.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Was down earlier today. I've no longer got any respect left for that group of kids, I liked some of their previous actions but can't agree with any of the crap they're pulling

EDIT: Dan, I like the black color choice for your gamercard

Dan

Contributor
Thanks, I'm wondering why there is a random '0' on the left hand side, though.

rianchio23

If sony gets this passed then it just proves how fucked up our justice system and country are right now. its ok for sony to lie and commit crimes as long as they pay lawyers to manipulate words and the law in ways that benefit them and only them. this is really sad to see. what kind of example does the show to people? that if you are a big company (bully) you can pick on the weak (consumers) and get away with anything because hey we are sony. Sony expects everyone to contimue to think they are a good company with good morals and that they are a company we should buy stuff from and support yet the message they send out is fuck you we dont care about you just the money. They obviously feel they can lie cheat and steal and in the end its ok cause hey they are sony and they have billions of dollars to throw around to manipulate the law and justice system which is already fucked up. Think of this....if a black guy was driving around coked out and on meth and crashed their car and left they would go straight to jail no questions asked. shit we would probably try to have him put in jail for life right? well guess what lindsey lohan has done that and been caught fucking up many more times and lying etc yet she keeps getting chances. why? cuz she has money plain and simple. sony is using this same"celeb status and power" to buy favorability when they have obviously comiitted the same crimes they are accusing others of. I'm really sorry for all you that will think i'm just bitching.....i'm just stating the plain and simple facts. sorry for the long ass comment but i'm fed up with companies thinking they can do whatever they want like they were above the law

Adiuvo

How is Sony lying and what crime have they committed?

Also no, the black guy wouldn't go to prison for life, nor would he probably even go to jail depending on his record.

january39

eXo Staff
Way i see it, this step is the logical one for SCE - I too, am struggling to see what crime they are commiting.

El Diablo

The crime of stealing otherOS.