• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PSN Sony Gives Update On PSN Outage, Says Normal Service Will Resume In A Couple Days

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
i can't imagine this is being caused by the same anonymous group as before, otherwise they probably would have made some stupid youtube video about it by now if it was.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
I don't think it's Anon either. Could be the influx of users coming on due to Portal 2's release. Hard to believe Sony wasn't prepared for it though.

ultimakillz

Teh Fett Mawn
maybe is has something to do with the cross-platform gaming, after all it did go down right after portal 2 was released. anyway, i dont think it would have anything do to with too much traffic. surely with large online games like black ops they are prepared for huge influxes of users, but idk.

this all sounds a little fishy to me, and regardless it sucks for all of us :argh:

Alex

if its anon, i think its wicked. i actually hate sony with a passion, but i do like my ps3 lolol
either way, Sony should be prep'd on this.
if they can spend millions suing geohot, they shouldve alteast been prepared.

Dan

Contributor
Anonymous stated after their first attempt that inconveniencing gamers was the last thing they wanted to do, and that they had 'other plans'. Then again, the raids on Sony stores were anything but successful.

TeamOverload

Anonymous stated after their first attempt that inconveniencing gamers was the last thing they wanted to do, and that they had 'other plans'. Then again, the raids on Sony stores were anything but successful.

To be fair they did have a few stores in Europe closed down from what I saw, so that is a loss of sales for Sony which is what they wanted.

Anyways, the problem seems to have originated in Japan based on Twitter comments and what I've read on N4G, so we'll see how it goes. Must have been some sort of hardware failure I would imagine. Can't see maintenance being planned when Portal 2, Mortal Kombat, and SOCOM4 came out.

Richlando

I personally think it is so they can make some much needed changes to the network overall. At least adressing sp-int and the q dev networks. Complete restructuring imho. $ony is going to at the very least state they don't know what the problem is but I believe that as much as I believe anything written up in their newest TOS.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Pretty surprised to hear about how severe the outage was this morning. Reminds me when Xbox Live had network difficulties a few years back, although at least then you could at least connect now and then

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
I personally think it is so they can make some much needed changes to the network overall. At least adressing sp-int and the q dev networks. Complete restructuring imho. $ony is going to at the very least state they don't know what the problem is but I believe that as much as I believe anything written up in their newest TOS.

This could be the case too... people logging onto sp-int and prod-qa is a major security issue. They've probably received lots of complaints from devs about it too.

Craig Fairfax

illuminati Vereran
Lol "$ony". I thought we all agreed that replacing an s with a dollar sign wasn't cool back when people were doing it with Microsoft.

Hellcat

Contributor
Maybe PSN isn't down at all, maybe PSN works totally fine.... they just BANNED EVERYONE xD

At least adressing sp-int and the q dev networks. Complete restructuring imho.
Yeah, on a more serious note, maybe they fix the sp-int leeching of the kindergarten hackers out there.