• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PSP Sony Hints at 'Non-Game Apps' for PSP Go

Moose

Meta Moose
Engadget

We've been hearing rumors about a non-game app store for the PSP since the launch of the PSP Go, and it sounds like the wheels are turning -- in an interview with CNET, Sony's Al De Leon said that while PSP content "will mostly be games, there's an opportunity to look at non-gaming applications." Sure, that's not exactly a hard confirmation, but it's certainly suggestive -- maybe we'll see something at Gamescom in August after all. Video after the break.

Interesting. I would love for the PSP to sport Apps such as the ones the Apple App Store have. We can hope... :D

If Sony creates some sort of developer incentive like Apple have then there will be a large chance that developers would develop for the console. However, if the Apps are planned to be made by Sony and Sony only, then I will be disappointed.

Adiuvo

Very nice. I always wanted some non-game based applications for the PSP. Homebrew for the most part filled that gap, but the Sony made ones will most likely be better made.

Moose

Meta Moose
Among other things, what I would like to see most is an IM application like IM+ or Beejive in the Apple App Store.

LocutusEstBorg

I read its still only for official developers who've paid for the SDK. Its no different than if you buy the regular SDK and decide to make an app instead of a game.

Roe

Would be pretty cool if they get something like the iphone's app store going on. If not, I'm guessing there wouldn't be all too many apps in it :/