• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PSN Sony Reaches 'Important Step' Towards PSN Restoration

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
psnetwork.jpg

While there's still no firm ETA other than "this week," Sony Computer Entertainment America spokesperson Patrick Seybold gave an update today on the company's exhaustive effort to restore PSN and Qriocity services. This comes following a large scale intrusion that exploited server software*vulnerabilities, leaving approximately 101 million accounts compromised across multiple SCE regions.

"Today our global network and security teams at Sony Network Entertainment and Sony Computer Entertainment began the final stages of internal testing of the new system, an important step towards restoring PlayStation Network and Qriocity services," read a statement on the official PS Blog.

Seybold further noted that "We will provide additional updates as soon as we can." While it's hard to say for sure, it sounds like Sony is approaching the final hours of bringing the network back online, so here's hoping we'll have access by this weekend[...]

Continue reading: Sony Reaches 'Important Step' Towards PSN Restoration...

MenaceInc

Staff Member
"This week"? It's Friday already here in the UK. Need to hurry up a bit to make it "this week"

Biggy204

By "this week" means a week from now according to Sony standards lol.
I to would hope for a friday opening, theres alot of DLC i wantes to download. So hop to it Sony.

Bran

Yell
It's about 11:30am in japan right now. Maybe they will have it up by tonight their time.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
it's now 6:21 PM Friday, May 06, 2011 in japan so it's the end of the working week for most companies. :S

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Just play offline people! xD Is that so hard?

I hope this time they have decent security though, after what I've learnt in the last few hours, I have no intention of buying again from the PSN anytime soon.

NeilR

eXo Admin
Enforcer Team
Probably should read something like "the recently formed security teams at Sony Network Entertainment and Sony Computer Entertainment" ;)

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
That is hard when I want to play game online with my friend.

I never said I was NOT playing offline, I just want to play ONLINE as well.

I also want to play Portal 2 co-op with my GF (Steam and PS3, she can't get used to PS3 controls), but we have to wait... We've been playing offline multiplayer games likes SSFIV and Scott Pilgrim to keep us entertained while we wait. Yeah it's fucked, but it's not like we have much of a choice =\

Dan

Contributor
Has anybody else seen the news about Sony using outdated server software and the lack of firewalls? They knew about it for months, and were warned about it, but couldn't be bothered doing anything.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Has anybody else seen the news about Sony using outdated server software and the lack of firewalls? They knew about it for months, and were warned about it, but couldn't be bothered doing anything.

Yep, Math and a number of other people warned them apparently and they ignored it.

ultimakillz

Teh Fett Mawn
damn, i was just reading something about that on one of these forums somewhere, or it might have been irc logs from after the attack, and now i cant remember where it was :\

Biggy204

I hear there is or has been another attack to the so called security of the PSN and SOE servers. So i dont think we'll seethe PSN up for til the end of this month or maybe more, unless Sony pulls a rabbit outta their hats.

TeamOverload

DC Universe Online said their servers wouldn't be back up online, I know they're technically two different infrastructures, but I would assume that PSN will likely be in the same boat.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
DC Universe Online said their servers wouldn't be back up online, I know they're technically two different infrastructures, but I would assume that PSN will likely be in the same boat.

Isn't DC tied to the SOE Infra instead of the PSN one? I believe PSN could be back up without DC being back up...