• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Team Fortress 2 | The Orange Box Discussion Thread

Moose

Meta Moose
Just got this game the other day... I really like it, but so far I have only played on two maps. 2Fort and another I can't remember the name of.

My favourite character is the medic, but sometimes I will use the scout or sniper. What's your favourite character and which do you use more often?

Anyone else play this game on the PC? If so, post your Steam ID so we can play together.

Mine = mantripp95. It's my bro's account so it's rarely me who is online.

Joey

I used to play a ton until Gears 2 and Left 4 Dead came out. Haven't even fired it up for a couple months...

It's awesome though, and it's on sale for $10 right now on Steam, so there's no reason not to play it. It'll run on pretty much anything.

Colm

Favourite: Scout
Most often: Medic, Pyro, Engineer
Favourite Tactic: Offensive Engineer ("capture" an area within the opposition base, secure it with sentries, add teleporters. job DONE.)

Moose

Meta Moose
I used to play a ton until Gears 2 and Left 4 Dead came out. Haven't even fired it up for a couple months...

It's awesome though, and it's on sale for $10 right now on Steam, so there's no reason not to play it. It'll run on pretty much anything.

I bought it of Steam for $19.99 the other day... lol. :(

Sousanator

Shockingly Delicious
Just got it today with the $10 deal.

I can't get my joystick working with it though

EDIT:
Steam: GAS25x
Class: Pyro (Medic when needed, and Scout on 2fort)
I don't have a favourite map yet

Sullivan

I got this for the PS3, but haven't really touched TF2, I loved portal!

Slasher

Suck It
I got The Orange Box on my steam account the first day it came out. I bought it on PC because there's no way in hell I would ever play a valve game on a console. They're completely meant for the PC imo. I can't imagine playing CS:S, or even Left4Dead on a console, it just doesn't suit it at all. I play the various games from time to time, though not too much lately

Seth

MD Party Room
I dont understand you guys and your keyboard and mouse style games...It a major pain for me to use it...THo I do live the 360 controller works on Pc and is almost flawless..

Btw Slasher I kinda even shocked you can run left4dead on your pc...

Sousanator

Shockingly Delicious
I have better control using a joystick than I do with mouse and keyboard.
My finger movements are just way to slow. It's stopped me from being able to master the keyboard, or even play guitar hero. It's a lot easier for me to move my thumbs and single index fingers when needed, than all my fingers on both hands.

If you ever played a game with me on TF2 [PC], you'll notice I go all over the place, and have horrible aim. Where as with a joystick on a console I can maneuver myself a lot better and avoid constantly running into the wall, and have much better (but still bad) aim.

There's also the fact I like playing on a much larger screen, and I don't like staring half a foot away at the screen.

I have always been a console gamer, so I'm still trying to get the hang of PC gaming.

Chathurga

I dont understand you guys and your keyboard and mouse style games...It a major pain for me to use it...THo I do live the 360 controller works on Pc and is almost flawless..

What? Comments like this always just make me go wtf.
You can't you 180 turn in a console game easily. There's nowhere as much buttons on console (I like my buttons). A mouse just is more precise, you can do far finer movements.
Keyboard and mouse destroys the gamepad every day of the week.

I use to play this a lot and this thread gave me the drive to reinstall it. I'm not looking forward to downloading all the updates though. :(

Slasher

Suck It

After a little bit of tweaking, it runs fine on my PC with very little drop in quality too. I'd have to hand it to my graphics card for doing most of the work I would imagine though. I sometimes just play it on my laptop (the processor and ram is way better than my PC), but the quality isn't as good.

Whisper

Logic :(
I got The Orange Box on my steam account the first day it came out. I bought it on PC because there's no way in hell I would ever play a valve game on a console. They're completely meant for the PC imo. I can't imagine playing CS:S, or even Left4Dead on a console, it just doesn't suit it at all. I play the various games from time to time, though not too much lately
L4D is pretty good on the console, they really tweaked it to feel right.

Colm

*bump*
Do you still have your dedicated server up, Hardrive?
If you do, I suggest the ULTIMATE map rotation:
cp_dustbowl
gas_kaboom_beta3
pl_goldrush
ctf_turbine
tc_hydro
cp_steel
pl_hoodoo
ctf_mach4
cp_lazytown
pl_badwater
There's no two of the same type next to each other and it has a mix of both official, community (custom maps that ship with the game) and custom maps.

We should also organise matches to be held regularly via the Steam group.
The game is only $10 on Steam until January 2nd, so we should be able to get a lot of people up to play.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
I'll play, but I am hot garbage at this game. I've become console-ized and am slower with a keyboard and a mouse now....

I'd finally be able to try my headset I got off of Woot a couple months ago.

Joey

Once you get used to where the keyboard buttons are, it'll feel as natural as a controller... Trust me, for the first week or so using a keyboard, I struggled. You'll get used to it though, I promise, and for some FPS's, it's definitely better, I don't care what half assed argument you make.

There is no Source game that isn't better on PC. Half-Life was made for a keyboard.

With COD4? I acutally like playing on 360 more.

But with TF2 and L4D, Keyboard is a must.