• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

The Last Remnant

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
Has anyone else been keeping tabs on this title? I can think of a few members here who have similar RPG tastes as myself and might be interested in playing this. Here are a few Japanese TV spots that recently hit Gametrailers:

[gt]37441[/gt]

[gt]42544[/gt]

[gt]42991[/gt]

[gt]42993[/gt]

It releases universally in Japan, Europe, and North America today if I’m not mistaken.

Pre-battle commands and some action.
[gt]42975[/gt]

Greyone

Funny Little Green Ghouls
I'm going to buy it, but i'll be waiting for the ps3 version.

I have no idea how it got an M rating.....

Trigun

That guy, who Records Music.
yay for M rating lol
i'll be waiting for the ps3 version as well

Noriyuke

Well, i'm in the process of obtaining this game, 2 disc game, so it must be long, and knowing square enix, i bet its good.

twelve

I'm not dead
Well, i'm in the process of obtaining this game, 2 disc game, so it must be long, and knowing square enix, i bet its good.
You mean knowing Square Enix, I bet it's a disappointment.

The game looks good but hasn't got outstanding reviews. I might pick it up at a later date but I've not really enjoyed many RPGs lately. Enchanted Arms and Eternal Sonata are the only two I've really played much. Blue Dragon was crap and Lost Odyssey was too much of a grind.

I'm looking forward to White Knight Story though and want to pick up Valkyria Chronicles.

Joey

Is this turn-based? I've never really gotten a straight answer.

I've people use the word "action" to describe this games combat, which immediately piqued my interest.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
Is this turn-based? I've never really gotten a straight answer.

I've people use the word "action" to describe this games combat, which immediately piqued my interest.

Mostly. From what I've read, you set your attacks prior to the battle starting and then just watch it play out. Apparently you have to pay attention because their are sequences where you can counter stuff with a button press, etc.

I've lost interest in this game after reading all of the reviews.

Noriyuke

The game looks good but hasn't got outstanding reviews. I might pick it up at a later date but I've not really enjoyed many RPGs lately. Enchanted Arms and Eternal Sonata are the only two I've really played much. Blue Dragon was crap and Lost Odyssey was too much of a grind.

I'm looking forward to White Knight Story though and want to pick up Valkyria Chronicles.

Ay! frankly, i thought eternal sonata was crap! and i couldnt stand 20 minutes of Enchanted Arms, and i honestly don't play RPG's for the gameplay aspect, i just like how square enix do their story lines.

twelve

I'm not dead
So against my better judgement I bought this cos it was cheap.

And so far it's great. Reminds me of Final Fantasy XII in parts (character design, cities, getting quests from a pub, having a guild to do quests for).

Some of the reviews said the battle system wasn't good but so far I love it.

Craig Fairfax

illuminati Vereran

haha Blue Dragon i forced myself through 75% of the game and couldn't take it anymore.

I still have yet to even open enchanted arms (which i brought well over a year and a half ago)
I kinda still want to play this game. but i need to read up on it more before i even bother.

twelve

I'm not dead
Ok I've sunk about 30 hours into this so far and am nearing the end of the first disc.

I'm going to do a mini review of sorts and steal Kotaku's style of Love/Hate and not put a score on it.

[Fieldset=Love]Story. I've not got bored of it yet and just had a major event happen that really wound me into it. Characters could do with some more back story but they're certainly easy to bond with.
One of the main characters dies :eek:

Graphics. The game runs on the Unreal Engine so the graphics are of course very crisp and clean.

Battles. Your team consists of up to 18 people spread across up to 5 "unions". You allocate commands to the unions as a whole rather than each individual member. The combat is turn based but doesn't use action bars, you lay down your commands to every union and then the turn starts and you watch it play out. There are quick time events in battle to trigger critical attacks.

Grinding. There is a large selection of side quests you can do that distract you enough that you don't realise you're grinding. By the time you've done a couple of side quests you'll be a high enough Battle Rank (level) to be able to move on with the story.[/fieldset]
[fieldset=Hate]Loading screens. Endless loading screens.

Slow down. This happens so often with the big scale battles, I can only assume because there are so many characters on screen at once and they're all so detailed.

Texture Pop-in. This is something I've not seen before from an Unreal Engine game but it happens a fair bit when entering/exiting towns.[/fieldset]

The good news is that all of the bad points can be improved significantly by installing the game onto the 360's hard drive.

This is apparently getting a PS3 release some time in the future so it might be worth holding out on that and seeing if the flaws are improved. But I definitely recommend it to any JRPG fan.

Sinfulfate

I just picked this up from target today. Was on Clearance sale for only $15 lol. I'm gonna beat Star Ocean 4 before I start playing it tho.

twelve

I'm not dead
I gave up with it. Around 35 hours in I realised I had been convincing myself I like it because of how much time I'd spent on it. At that point I tried to carry on but couldn't. I've still got it but cant see myself going back to it anytime soon.

Sinfulfate

I gave up with it. Around 35 hours in I realised I had been convincing myself I like it because of how much time I'd spent on it. At that point I tried to carry on but couldn't. I've still got it but cant see myself going back to it anytime soon.

How would you rate Last Remnant among all the jrpgs on 360?

Pokemanz master

Lowering your IQ
waiting for pc version on Steam

twelve

I'm not dead
How would you rate Last Remnant among all the jrpgs on 360?
I haven't played Star Ocean 4 as that's not out here. But The Last Remnant is the one I spent the most time on so far. Blue Dragon and Lost Oddysey I hardly played at all. I've still got Eternal Sonata waiting to play but I have to really be in the JRPG mood now to play any of them.
waiting for pc version on Steam
9th April.