• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

thinking about getting a DS

Hanzo_f19

[insert custom user title here]
So I have a few questions:

(Optional) - Does anyone know do they sell flashcards in Portugal?
1- Nintendo removed the GB slot and I don't really need it since I already can emulator GBA on my PSP, but is it useful for homebrew?
2- Should I get DS Lite or DSi? (it would save me 20 euros :p)
3- Since I already own a hacked PSP (1000 series, btw), is worth getting a DS? (games and homebrew wise)
4- How is the the DS homebrew scene? Active or almost dead?
5- A little curiosity, is it easy to code for the DS?
6- Do you often use your DS?
7- Can I access the interwebs on the DS Lite or do I have to buy some accessory?

J

jx233

FearEvil19 said:
2- Should I get DS Lite or DSi? (it would save me 20 euros )
I suggest the DS Lite, the camera in the DSi is cheap ( in a bad way),and the DSi is not region free for their app store for DSi.

4-How is the the DS homebrew scene? Active or almost dead?
It seems almost dead to me, it seems only developers dedicated to the DS are the only ones keeping it alive. Also, it is very small compared to the PSP Scene.

5-A little curiosity, is it easy to code for the DS?
You need to know C++, and be familiar with the DS's libraries. The DS has poor RAM and has underpowered CPU. Homebrew can't really take that much advantage of the DS because of that.

7-Can I access the interwebs on the DS Lite or do I have to buy some accessory?
I think you have to buy an accessory to have an Internet Browser installed.

Hanzo_f19

umm...that doesn't sound good :/
DC makes DS sound sooooooo awesome :p

PS: Are flashcards such as R4 or M3 illegal to sell? o.0

J

jx233

FearEvil19 said:
umm...that doesn't sound good :/
DC makes DS sound sooooooo awesome :p

PS: Are flashcards such as R4 or M3 illegal to sell? o.0

Its the touchscreen that makes the DS awesome.

Can't answer about flashcards, because I'm not sure if discussion about is allowed here or not.

Darkchild

The Doctor
So I have a few questions:

(Optional) - Does anyone know do they sell flashcards in Portugal?
1- Nintendo removed the GB slot and I don't really need it since I already can emulator GBA on my PSP, but is it useful for homebrew?
2- Should I get DS Lite or DSi? (it would save me 20 euros :p)
3- Since I already own a hacked PSP (1000 series, btw), is worth getting a DS? (games and homebrew wise)
4- How is the the DS homebrew scene? Active or almost dead?
5- A little curiosity, is it easy to code for the DS?
6- Do you often use your DS?
7- Can I access the interwebs on the DS Lite or do I have to buy some accessory?

Yes they do, www.discoazul.com or use www.dealextreme.com (its cheap, but takes a while to be shiped and you have to pay with visa)
1-The DSL has a GBA slot, you can put more ram in it for some homebrew and the opera browser.
2-If I were you, I'd stay with the DSL... The DSi has flashcarts but they have been fixed in the european DSis so... Its worthless (For the moment that is...) so yeah... DSL
3- Well...DS games are awesome, no loading times =D and homebrew is ok. not saying its the BEST homebrew scene, but its enough to let my psp gaining dust.
4- Active, and very easy to program.
5- YES!
6- All the time =D
7- Depends, you can use wireless in it, but the DSL only supports Protection untill WEP, while the DSi supports up to WPA2.

Hanzo_f19

meh, forget about. I'm buying something else
**googles**
can't find anything, I have extra 150 euros and there's nothing I ned/want to buy, it's the first time this happens to me -.-

J

jx233

FearEvil19 said:
meh, forget about. I'm buying something else
**googles**
can't find anything, I have extra 150 euros and there's nothing I ned/want to buy, it's the first time this happens to me -.-

Go to the good old USA and you might find something cool there.

Hanzo_f19

My parents don't let me order anything from the interbutts -.-
Which pisses me off since my sister orders her stuff (makeup, etc) online -.-

Darkchild

The Doctor
who says they have to know? :]

mine never know, I'm even the one who withdraws it from the mail office

Hanzo_f19

who says they have to know? :]

mine never know, I'm even the one who withdraws it from the mail office

I don't have a banc account (yet, gonna make one this month). But, anyway, I'll try asking one friend of mine if they can order it for me (he's a WOW nerd, he buys everything online) and pay him later.
Gonna get DSi white tomorrow (I just received more 30 euros YAY).....or black.....I dunno.....

Hanzo_f19

sorry for the double post.

The browser loads pages actually faster than my phat PSP o.0 (unless, I use the optimized homebrew browser)
But you can't see big images or flash content T_T (every time I try to see an image on google, I can only see test with symbols :p)

cyrus

just to af=dd stuff to your thread if i may. ^^

i have a dsi and a flashcart with it the acekard2i and it works perfect..i have no complaints about it its just that im still digging the dsl atm due to the expansion ram on the slot 2.. that thing rocks + use it for my retro gaming needs which the dsi doesnt support atm like. but yeah, just thought i would add a lil info. ^^

Hanzo_f19

yep, just ordered acekard2i from chipspain.com.
I got a bit confused with some stuff:
1- Apparently there is a new flashcard that works with the DSi, it's the R4i. Wasn't the R4 discontinued? Aren't all the new R4 fakes?
2- Another card works with the DSi, DSTTi. Whats the difference beetween this a an AK2i? I'm asking this because their about the same price :p.

Darkchild

The Doctor
R4 did become discontinued, Those are imitations ;) Made in China =P
DSTT has compatibillity issues, Acekard is fast and all works, so I'd go with Acekard...