• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Thinking of getting an iPod Touch 3G.

TotalRocker

Right. Im thinking of getting an iPod Touch 3G. 64GB model hopefully...
Been looking around a few places and reading up on 'jailbraking'?
Wondering if its possible to do on the iTouch 3G. I hear its possible on the iPhone 3GS, is it basically the same?

Wondering what the main benefits are as well and if its worthwhile and if anyones knows if it voids warranty?

Any help or advice would be great!

Thanks.

Scorned

From what I recall, you should be able to.

It doesn't really void the warranty, because you can easily just go back and install a regular firmware, and it has its benefits.

You can put themes, mod it out, and it has its own unique app store. So basically you'd have 2 app stores.

I haven't actually jailbroken anything in a while so my knowledge might be outdated as to whats been added and the new additions, so my bad if it is off a bit.

eldiablov

Contributor
Right. Im thinking of getting an iPod Touch 3G. 64GB model hopefully...
Been looking around a few places and reading up on 'jailbraking'?
Wondering if its possible to do on the iTouch 3G. I hear its possible on the iPhone 3GS, is it basically the same?

Wondering what the main benefits are as well and if its worthwhile and if anyones knows if it voids warranty?

Any help or advice would be great!

Thanks.

Use blackra1n to jailbreak. It's a great music and video player, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Cryox

Bro.
If you are still looking to get a new ipod, apple is having a sale for the touches (and other stuff) today only. You save $41 if you buy the 64gb, $31 for the 16gb, and $21 for the 8gb.

eXo.Gear

凸'へ'凸 [A.K.A] xBlean
Use blackra1n to jailbreak. It's a great music and video player, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

I have always used "QuickPwn" to jailbreak my iPod/iPhone. It was decent. Just sucked making sure you got the right IPSW, updates, or even program that supported the iPod/iPhone version. I have not used them for awhile, so I don't know about any updates they have.
[I've used this method, and it's verified to work]
Link to QuickPwn's Website
----------------------------------------------------------------
Then, I tried out "Blackra1n" not to long ago. I would have to say that it's one of the best jailbreaking programs. All you have to do is press one button. Now, this is the most recent program I have used, and found it quick and easy.
[I've used this method, and it's verified to work]
[FIELDSET="About BlackRa1n"]The BlackRa1n jailbreak will work with the latest 3.1.2 firmware; however, it will not hacktivate your iPhone. This means that if you are not on an official Apple approved carrier BlackRa1n cannot activate it.

For those with the new iPod touch, BlackRa1n only supports a tethered jailbreak. This means that once jailbroken you should not let your battery die. If it does die you will need to reconnect it to the computer and use BlackRa1n to boot it.

WARNING: Even though the GeoHot jailbreak supports 3.1.2 do not update if you are on iPhone OS 3.0.1 or 3.0. You will lose your unlock. Use PwnageTool (only for Macs) to safely update to 3.1 without performing a baseband update. If you really must have 3.1.2 then wait for the next version of PwnageTool. If you have already updated to 3.1 or 3.1.2 without using PwnageTool then you've lost the ability to unlock for the time being. You can now use BlackRa1n to at least regain your jailbreak[/FIELDSET]
Link to Blackra1n's Website