• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PC Time for some Tribes 2! =D

DrLame

Ham Eater
Okays! Well, it appears vivindi has shut down the authentication servers for tribes 2... what does that mean for us? More free awesome stuff to play! The community has come together and released a patch to connect to community run auth servers... No more cd key needed to play!

Tribes 2 is a sick first person shooter. It's match-based, always with two teams (like tf2), but it's on a HUUUUUGE scale. Maps literally stretch for kilometers in each direction. So how do you get around on a scale that big? Easy! Jetpacks! =D The game adds in the 3rd dimension in an awesome way, where you can fly up in the air, then 'ski' down and back up the faces of mountains to assist you in getting around faster. There's vehicles, a huge selection of gear, and MANY game modes, from CTF, to 1 vs 1 pvp, to base infiltration and destruction, and a LOT more. The game uses a massively moddable engine, so there's more content that I could possibly list.

Anyway, it's really freaking easy to get this. Just go to:

TribesNext - Multiplayer Tribes 2

Download the game client and the patch, and bingo, you're ready to get started.
With this game, tho, additional files are definitely recommended, but not required. This is a nice pack of addons to make gameplay easier:

AngryPack.zip

There's a lot in it, more than you would prolly need, but it gives you a very nice assortment. Once you unzip them to the base folder (instructions are included), you set them up in Launch->Scripts inside the game. I'm not gonna go into the ones that get configged outside the game. If you don't know what something does, I'd look it up before you enable it. A lot of them are obvious what they do between the name and settings, tho.

As soon as i get an MfM T2 server up, I'll update this post. We're prolly gonna add some maps in, so i'll add links to them too. (ArenaDome is HUGE fun)....

Anyway, I hope you all get a copy, especially all you TF2 heads, this'll be a great addition!

---------- Post added at 05:30 PM EST ---------- Previous post was at 05:00 PM EST ----------

A couple tips for playing the game:

Rebind the walk keys to WASD first thing. I think that scripts pack sets them to ESDF which can be very akward.

Hold down spacebar to 'ski'. It makes you glide on the ground. You should be doing that a LOT to get around outside, usually. When you combine that with mountains, you can do some crazy traveling!

Enter on the numpad brings up inventory favorites. Select one, and then run over an inventory station in your base to get equipped. You should always hit an inventory station first thing after you die! They have a black circular base, and a T shaped thing that sticks up out of the base with a couple blue lights. When you stand on it it goes "WHOOOSH" and you have your stuff! Before you do that you're pretty naked. And make sure you hit save changes after you customize one of the favorites =)

Make sure you use health packs when you're low on health! You get one every time you hit an inventory station, and from a lot of bodies you run over. Default key to use one is Q.

And the final tip: Don't get shot in the face with discs!

With all of that you should be able to get started pretty fast =)

Cryox

Bro.
I think i'll try this out. Downloading now.