• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

TimeSplitters 4 in trouble?

Freshmilk

is Over 9000
Damn. This is sort of really good news, and really bad to me at the same time; I had TS2 and TS3 both on my PS2, spent countless hours playing them. Literally, I spent my entire life on them before I got the internet, in '05. Still, I always thought Future Perfect would be the last Timesplitters game. When I saw this I was like, 'OMFG TS4!', and now I'm like 'OMFG TS4! :( Noooo...'.

Colm

This could be Christmas Miracle if the following events happen:
1. Pumpkin Beach, and associated IPs, bought by Sony Computer Entertainment
2. Free Radical's IPs bought out by SCE
3. Sony and Pumpkin Beach release TS4 for PS3 and PC via Steam (and NOT GfW)

Joey

Come on Free Radical... My 360, PS3, and PC are hanging in the balance... Make the right move o_O

Vee

I dont think everyone should get all emo yet. I'm sure this will go down the Ghostbusters route. Theres people constantly looking for IP's that can be churned out and will sell alot. Thats why Ghostbusters got snapped up so quickly, compared to Wet.

Hopefully, someone will help these lot out. For the sake of Timesplitters that is.

twelve

I'm not dead
The problem with that is FRD are the developers not the publishers. Ghostbusters development wasn't shut down, Activision as a publisher just dropped it (in favour of crap it can churn out on an annual basis). All they needed to do was find a new publisher. The TS4 IP may be up for grabs but it wont be the same staff working on it unless it goes to Pumpkin Beach or the devs are all hired by the company that purchases the IP.

So basically two [strike]small[/strike] miniscule chances.

Joey

I dont think everyone should get all emo yet. I'm sure this will go down the Ghostbusters route. Theres people constantly looking for IP's that can be churned out and will sell alot. Thats why Ghostbusters got snapped up so quickly, compared to Wet.

Hopefully, someone will help these lot out. For the sake of Timesplitters that is.

Well, here's the problem, with ghostbusters, the people who make the same still exsist, they just didn't have anybody to publish the game.

In this case, the people who actually make the game are closing down. Kinda makes it hard to make the game, and then there's problems with IP rights and all that, so even if the guys make a new company, there's no telling if they'll be able to attain the rights to making "Timesplitters".

Colm

The fact that TS4 won't be "TS"4 won't bug me so much so long as the FRD team is working on a new title, I'm confident that FRD will still be able to deliver a brilliant multiplayer game, like Haze was. If Haze had 4-player splitscreen, I'd own it by now.
I thought that FRD owned the TimeSplitters IP anyway? As you said, EA published TS3, meaning that the IP doesn't belong to Ubi or any other publisher (ie. EA). If this was the case, wouldn't it mean that either FRD or Ellis would own TimeSplitters and as the FRD team and Ellis moved to PB, this means that PB retains the TS IP?

Noriyuke

I guess I'm the only one, but I absolutely hate the Timesplitters games. I played Timesplitters 2 on the PS2 with my cousin, and I didn't enjoy more than 30 seconds of it.

So, I'm not sad to see TimeSplitters go by the wayside, but it is disappointing to see another company in the gaming industry potentially fail in these tough times.

Yeah, I was afraid to say that I don't like it for fear of being ripped apart by the majority that like it. I played the first and second and I really don't understand what people like about it... I didn't enjoy playing it at all.

Agreed, i picked up the first two out of the bargain bin one day, mainly because these guys designed perfect dark, which for the 64 was an awesome shooter, they also did Golden eye i think. But they never really made the transition to the next gens as i would've hoped, it was more like they took all the code they remembered from perfect dark and Golden eye while trying to add on it and make additions, that at the time were unique and good, but they were not well implemented, or well designed. Like their attempt at a map editor, was like, lame, compared to the Far Cry Map Editor which i became addicted to and played soooooooooo much Multiplayer splitscreen on the 360.

But they do have a hope, i mean they just need to realize they need to go mainstream a little more. Get out of the whole cult fascination they have, make a game thats going to catch more than the eye, but the heart of people. Microsoft has done it, EA is still doing it, and Capcom is also, at least from the top of my head, but alas, im off to walgreens to pick up some live cards for me and my little bro. Peace out

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
I have no beef with EA and I hope they buy them just because you people don't want them to buy the IP.

Mraellis

Probably because majority of shovel ware, and coping of game ideas but done wrong, and DRM rubbish and other issues come from EA?

EA ruin a lot of IP's, they only get a couple right.

Joey

Probably because majority of shovel ware, and coping of game ideas but done wrong, and DRM rubbish and other issues come from EA?

EA ruin a lot of IP's, they only get a couple right.
Don't buy the damn shovel ware then... Who gives a fuck if they release some shitty games, they also release a lot of good games.

The shovel ware pays for the good shit like Dead Space and Burnout.

Fuckin' shit. Even if activision picked this up (who is 2000x worse than EA, don'tcha know), I'd still support it. It's still Free Radical making it. If they want to make a bunch of shitty annual sequels, who cares? Don't buy them.

As for DRM, everybody who isn't Stardock uses DRM.

I dont' even know what your second comment was in reference to.