• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Upgrading PC help

Sinfulfate

I recently bought a new desktop off ebay and want to do some upgrading. The guy I bought it from upgraded the graphics card from the cheap stock intel card to an ATI 5770 but left the 400watt power supply so first I want to upgrade to at least a 600 watt power supply. Also I'd like to add a blu ray drive and possibly a SSD just to store the OS.

What I want to know is does it matter what type of power supply I get? There are so many and Im not sure whats the difference between them. Same goes for a blu ray drive. And if I get a SSD can i just copy my OS over to it from my current HDD?

Im pretty sure my desktop has the slots for all these upgrades but just to be safe will I be able to do these upgrades with this case?

Thanks.

Adiuvo

The PSU is the most important component you can buy. Cheap ones can kill your PC very easily.

Anyways, what's your budget and what case do you have?

El Diablo

There's diffrrences in their ratings in how efficient tbey are. A 600w gold will be more than a 600w bronze. Technically you can copy/ghost the hdd to a ssd if you got one but its highly recomended that you do a reinstall on a new hdd, especially moving to a ssd.

Adiuvo

Power supply.
Blu-Ray drive.

If you don't want a modular PSU you can get one with more wattage, but with your case (any case really) a modular power supply is kind of a necessity.

Also if you plan on upgrading your PC to a gaming rig you're probably going to need a new case. Airflow isn't great in that one.

Sinfulfate

Power supply.
Blu-Ray drive.

If you don't want a modular PSU you can get one with more wattage, but with your case (any case really) a modular power supply is kind of a necessity.

Also if you plan on upgrading your PC to a gaming rig you're probably going to need a new case. Airflow isn't great in that one.
Thanks. I'll probably get a new case when I do my next round of upgrades.

BurtonBee

With exciting new PC game titles coming out constantly, you might find your trusty old PC coming up short in the Frames Per Second department. If you're experiencing screenlag, stuttering or having to resort to low/medium graphics settings to keep a game playable, these are clear indications that it's time for an upgrade. You don't have to buy a complete new system to be able to enjoy your brand new games.
Step 1: The Basics of a PC
  • Computer Case
    The case of your PC houses all the hardware components that do the work, this is where the magic happens. Computer cases come in many shapes and sizes, but usually they will look like a tower made from steel or aluminum. To access the components inside of a case, you can safely remove one or both of the side panels and have a look inside. It's recommended to make sure your PC is turned off and disconnect all cables that are connected to the case before you open it. Go ahead, take a look!
  • Components inside
    The components you find inside your case will vary per PC, but it will always contain these basic ingredients that are essential for a computer.
    1. Motherboard
    2. Central Processing Unit (CPU)
    3. Random Access Memory (RAM) modules
    4. Power Supply Unit (PSU)
    5. Storage in the form of either Hard Disk Drives (HDD) or Solid State Drives (SSD)
    6. Graphics Card containing the Graphics Processing Unit (GPU)*
      *This is optional, as some systems might have an integrated graphics chipset, which means it is integrated on the motherboard or in the CPU.
    7. Cables, LOTS of cables.
  • PCI-e slots on Motherboard
    We won't go into unnecessary detail here, but what you need to understand is that every single component is connected to the motherboard in one way or another. Dedicated Graphics Cards for consumers are almost always connected to the motherboard by a PCI-Express (PCI-e) slot. pinoy tv network There are multiple variations of PCI-e slots, the most common are x16, or x4. Always remember that a Graphics Card needs to be placed into a x16 slot, which is physically the longest PCI-e slot.
    Step 2: Getting ready
    • Buy a new graphics card
      This might be an obvious one, but make sure you buy a graphics card that will be able to run the games you want to play. There are plenty of tech websites that provide performance test results of graphics cards like Tom's Hardware. Our current lineup of Twin Frozr VI series graphics cards are powerful enough for playing the latest games.
    • Toolbox
      Even though a PC is a digital computer, replacing any component will still require you to 'go under the hood' and physically replace something. For upgrading your graphics card, we recommend that you have a set of Phillips screwdrivers close.
    • Uninstalling old VGA drivers
      Before you go ahead and start physically replacing the graphics card, it's important to uninstall your old graphics card drivers. Check to see if your old graphics card is an AMD/ATI or NVIDIA based one, then uninstall the old drivers as described on the links below:
      - Uninstalling AMD graphics drivers
      - Uninstalling NVIDIA graphics drivers
    • Power off your PC, unplug all the cables
      Once you have successfully uninstalled your old drivers and shut down your PC, make sure you unplug all the cables that are plugged into the case. Most power supply units have a manual I/O switch on the back of the case, make sure this is set to O. Then proceed to unplug the power cable from the back of the power supply unit.
    • Dusting - While you're in there
      After using a PC for months or even years, it can get quite dusty on the inside. The dust can affect your PC's performance and cause all kinds of problems, so it's best to carefully clean it by using a vacuum cleaner to suck up most of the dust. Be careful not to hit any components while you do this!