• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Using The Universal Unbricker To Unbrick / Downgrade / Restore Any PSP To 5.00 M33-4

supaquickt

you have to type mspformat in the correct directory otherwise it won't be able to find the folder/files.

Are you sure your 'backspacing' with "cd .." (without the quotes and include the space)?

EDIT: Acer beat me to it

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Guys when i try to go to comand window of course i go to run i type "cmd" but it does only opens a comand window saying:
c:\Documents and settings\My Name>

I type mspformat after the arrow because it won't let me backspace to the C:\
and it gives me a message: mspformat is not recognized as an internat external comand

it wont let me do the first steps of the guide what should I do then?

Im using windows XP home edition

thanks in advance

when you open up the command shell, you type "cd C:" in order to get the root of your harddrive.assuming you have put the extracted folder at the root of C: then you can follow the rest of the instructions normally :)

EDIT: haha,acer beat me to it as well...ah well

komplexq

Hey guys,

So I already have the magic stick, and the battery. I tried putting 3.71M33 to a 3.71OFW Fat PSP, installation appeared to be fine, but on powering up, the XMB screen only shows the date, time, and battery for about 5 secs, then shuts down.

It does let me get into recovery though...

Suggestions?

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Hey guys,

So I already have the magic stick, and the battery. I tried putting 3.71M33 to a 3.71OFW Fat PSP, installation appeared to be fine, but on powering up, the XMB screen only shows the date, time, and battery for about 5 secs, then shuts down.

It does let me get into recovery though...

Suggestions?

Is the PSP shutting off by itself or is it just the LCD that goes black? Some people have had this happen, where the screen turns off after bootup and they have to press the brightness button a few times.

If it is indeed the PSP shutting off, I'm not sure what to suggest other than to try installing 3.71 M33 again.

komplexq

Is the PSP shutting off by itself or is it just the LCD that goes black? Some people have had this happen, where the screen turns off after bootup and they have to press the brightness button a few times.

If it is indeed the PSP shutting off, I'm not sure what to suggest other than to try installing 3.71 M33 again.

PSP shutting off. I just tried running the installation again, and restoring it to 3.71OFW, but the same thing happens.

Was gonna try formatting Flash 1, think that may do anything?

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
PSP shutting off. I just tried running the installation again, and restoring it to 3.71OFW, but the same thing happens.

Was gonna try formatting Flash 1, think that may do anything?

Try formatting flash1, I don't know if it'll do anything, but its worth a try.

komplexq

Try formatting flash1, I don't know if it'll do anything, but its worth a try.

So flashing did the job. I guess this is another successful error reporting and fix for the archives. :smile:

***Should also add that I also put my friend's fat psp to 3.71M33, and the same thing occured, and I had to format flash1. Could it be that I have some warped pandora battery or memory stick since I now know it wasn't a 1-time hardware/software malfunction?***

Acerthief

There's a weird thing.
I have a phat, but i don't have a menu.
I went through everything blind just like a slim PSP.

can it be MINE hardware issue? (I've tried a few memory sticks and it all came up the same, no menu)

Ch!MaB00

okay even though I have managed to get my battery back working by choosing 'restore battery to normal mode' im still wondering what the difference is when i would have chosen "flash battery from eeprom from ms0:/eeprob.bin" I did backup the eeprom before doing anything tho

Acerthief

okay even though I have managed to get my battery back working by choosing 'restore battery to normal mode' im still wondering what the difference is when i would have chosen "flash battery from eeprom from ms0:/eeprob.bin" I did backup the eeprom before doing anything tho

i would recommend flashing back your eeprom, mainly because restoring back to the normal battery without your normal eeprom might cause side effects.
but i said "might" :D

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor

Not all batteries still work after choosing the normal mode. You can still flash back the eeprom but since the battery is working fine no reason to really.

Friscoway

guys i followed every step to create the magic memory stick but in step 12 i get this in the "cmd" window

C:\pandora\msinst>msinst X msipl.bin
PSP MS IPL Installer
Load IPL Code msipl.bin
Cant't load msipl.bin

By the way when I write with ">" it says pandora\msinst its not recognozed as a internal or external

but i replace with "\" and it loads the...
PSP IPL Installer
Usage: pandora\msinst\msinst driveletter ipl_block_file

but once again I get this....

C:\pandora\msinst\msinst X msipl.bin
PSP MS IPL Installer
Load IPL Code msipl.bin
Can't load msipl.bin

and I alredy copied msipl.bin to the msinst folder as the guide says to do it.

heeeeeeeelp:eek:hmy:

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
guys i followed every step to create the magic memory stick but in step 12 i get this in the "cmd" window

C:\pandora\msinst>msinst X msipl.bin
PSP MS IPL Installer
Load IPL Code msipl.bin
Cant't load msipl.bin

By the way when I write with ">" it says pandora\msinst its not recognozed as a internal or external

but i replace with "\" and it loads the...
PSP IPL Installer
Usage: pandora\msinst\msinst driveletter ipl_block_file

but once again I get this....

PSP MS IPL Installer
Load IPL Code msipl.bin
Can't load msipl.bin

and I alredy copied msipl.bin to the msinst folder as the guide says to do it.

heeeeeeeelp:eek:hmy:

Don't write "\" or ">"

In my CMD window it already has that for some reason, I guess depending on the Windows version the display might be a little different.

So, just write msinst X msipl.bin

where X is the memory stick drive.

Friscoway

Don't write "\" or ">"

In my CMD window it already has that for some reason, I guess depending on the Windows version the display might be a little different.

So, just write msinst X msipl.bin

where X is the memory stick drive.

Thank you for your help

I just did typed the same way what the images in the guide shows.

But it seems that the only problems is that it can't open the msipl.bin

I get this message..

PSP MS IPL Installer
Load IPL Code msipl.bin
Can't open msipl.bin <-----------------this is what i get

and im stuck in the same step 12

if you ask me if i have the "msipl.bin" file in my msinst folder? YES I do

so why it can't open it????

thanks

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Thank you for your help

I just did typed the same way what the images in the guide shows.

But it seems that the only problems is that it can't open the msipl.bin

I get this message..

PSP MS IPL Installer
Load IPL Code msipl.bin
Can't open msipl.bin <-----------------this is what i get

and im stuck in the same step 12

if you ask me if i have the "msipl.bin" file in my msinst folder? YES I do

so why it can't open it????

thanks

How are you loading the msinst.exe, did you go through Start -> Run -> CMD

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Yes I do.

Try this - move msinst.exe and msipl.bin to C:\

Then go into C: in command prompt and run the command. All I can think of really I'm not sure why this is happening since its just trying to load a file. It's either there or not :/

Friscoway

sorry to bother you again,

I used pandora's box installer I created my ms and battery to pandora's that way...
then I just copied the "despertar cementerio" to GAME and the 150, 340 and 371 pbp's to my psp root
I launched despertar cementerio it did its work and enabled usb and erased 150 and 340 only,

then I tested to do the unbrick with my working fat psp running 1.50 and now it has 3.71 33m

(i mean I unbricked my working fat psp yes it was working LOL)
do you think I did wrong? do you think I messed up something with it??

ok my other corncern is that if i do the same thing with the slim it will work to downgrade it to 3,71 m33 ??

one more important question do you think I will be able to use the video out put function with the slim if I downgrade it?

I downgraded my nephew's slim but I don't remember if he lost that function. i can't reach him he's out of town at this time.

thanks

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
sorry to bother you again,

I used pandora's box installer I created my ms and battery to pandora's that way...
then I just copied the "despertar cementerio" to GAME and the 150, 340 and 371 pbp's to my psp root
I launched despertar cementerio it did its work and enabled usb and erased 150 and 340 only,

then I tested to do the unbrick with my working fat psp running 1.50 and now it has 3.71 33m

(i mean I unbricked my working fat psp yes it was working LOL)
do you think I did wrong? do you think I messed up something with it??

ok my other corncern is that if i do the same thing with the slim it will work to downgrade it to 3,71 m33 ??

one more important question do you think I will be able to use the video out put function with the slim if I downgrade it?

I downgraded my nephew's slim but I don't remember if he lost that function. i can't reach him he's out of town at this time.

thanks

yeah, if you used despertar cementerio it will work with the Slim. Also Video-out works fine on 3.71 M33.