• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PC Valve Hasn't Thought About Generating Money from DOTA 2

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
dota2.jpg

In a rather frank response during a Gamescom interview with GamingLives, Valve's Erik Johnson has said the company hasn't factored money into the equation with DOTA 2 at all. First and foremost, the team has been focused on making the game fun, to get it in the hands of as many folks possible.

"I mean, right now, we've got our hands full making sure the game is fun and exisiting DOTA fans want to play it," said Johnson.

He added, "We haven't really thought about how we'll make money off the product[...]

Continue reading: Valve Hasn't Thought About Generating Money from DOTA 2...

Adiuvo

As much as I like Valve saying something like this just sounds completely ridiculous and untrue.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Well, Valve is in a unique position. It could opt not to charge for anything in DOTA 2 and it'd still be beneficial for them, in bringing new users to Steam. Maybe that's what they're aiming for. Shareholders would probably shudder at such an idea, but Valve doesn't have to worry about that either being a private company.

Hard to believe we won't see an in-game store for items and such eventually though.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Well, Valve is in a unique position. It could opt not to charge for anything in DOTA 2 and it'd still be beneficial for them, in bringing new users to Steam. Maybe that's what they're aiming for. Shareholders would probably shudder at such an idea, but Valve doesn't have to worry about that either being a private company.

Hard to believe we won't see an in-game store for items and such eventually though.

That would go against the core mechanics in DotA so they probably won't want to offer in-game purchases like HoN or LoL

El Diablo

It's Valve so I wouldn't be surprised if everything is free for a while, then they start patching in skins or hats or some little thing that you can buy if you want to change your look but doesn't benefit you in any way and supports them.