• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

[Verizon] HTC Droid Incredible

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
I pre-ordered this phone a few days ago and should get it in a few days at home (although will have to wait till the weekend to get my hands on it). I'm super excited to be getting a real smartphone. Previously had the HTC Touch Pro for two months and have been using my LG Chocolate 3 for roughly two years now so it'll be good to get a new phone and better smartphone.

So far from what I've read it's the best Android phone out on the market now (even beating the Nexus One even though sharing a lot of the same hardware).

Anyone else planning on getting it or am I all alone in this venture?

Seth

MD Party Room
Seems like a really nice phone, I got a feeling that people are waiting for Apple to show there cards, plus it has a 8-megapixel cam and it pretty dam GOOD and as always HTC Sense is bad ass as well.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Seems like a really nice phone, I got a feeling that people are waiting for Apple to show there cards

Yeah, I was thinking about waiting but I decided against it for one main reason: iPhone OS. The software/OS is lacking and doesn't provide much room for customization. I want my phone to be representative of me and be very flexible. The one thing I enjoyed about my Windows Mobile phone: I could see my upcoming tasks/appointments on the home screen/today screen - you won't be able to do that on an iPhone.

The iPhone 4G hardware is indeed very sexy and probably very good, but the processor and screen resolution should be similar to that of the HTC Droid Incredible. For me the HTC Droid Incredible is equivalent to the iPhone 4G in Android-terms

Robby

Los Doyers!
I'm happy with my rooted Motorola Droid from Verizon... having it rooted is amazing, you can bump up the CPU speed and it makes playing emulators awesome. Plus I can customize the look pretty well and the rom I am using for my Droid has some new features in it including more homescreens, 3d cube like application selector, wifi tether, and the list goes on.
Although the Incredible does look amazing, I can't live without a physical keyboard even though the Droids keyboard isn't so good

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
I'm happy with my Motorola Droid from Verizon...
Although the Incredible does look amazing, I can't live without a physical keyboard even though the Droids keyboard isn't so good.

Yeah, my roommate has the Motorola Droid and it's a solid phone. Same screen size and even a larger resolution than the Droid Inc. and N1 (although not AMOLED). I would've preferred a physical keyboard as well but I'm a sucker for power and the Droid Inc. is the best in that category right now (plus a nice Sense UI).

EDIT: Wasn't aware that you could "overclock" the M Droid, might have to look into that for my roommate

Robby

Los Doyers!
Yeah when you root it, you can install custom roms which are basically different custom firmwares. And the one I have overclocks its to the max 1ghz I think it was, but then you can download a CPU control app from the marketplace and you can adjust how much you want to overclock/underclock it or set it to normal.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Yeah when you root it, you can install custom roms which are basically different custom firmwares. And the one I have overclocks its to the max 1ghz I think it was, but then you can download a CPU control app from the marketplace and you can adjust how much you want to overclock/underclock it or set it to normal.

Yeah I'm very familiar with custom ROMs (they really start on Windows Mobile). I don't think I will root my device unless there's a real benefit in doing so with a new ROM since the Droid Inc is reportedly very fast in operation and that's usually one of the main reasons to use a custom ROM - improve overall speed/responsiveness

Robby

Los Doyers!
Yeah there is no real reason to root the Incredible since its already fast.
I'm stuck with my Droid til next summer so hopefully a better, new Android device comes out by then.

Craig Fairfax

illuminati Vereran
Yeah there is no real reason to root the Incredible since its already fast.
I'm stuck with my Droid til next summer so hopefully a better, new Android device comes out by then.

considering the rate android phones come out i don't think that will be a problem.

explosions

Looks like a nice phone. I really like the Android UI on my moto droid, even though I still haven't updated to 2.1

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Moto Droid pisses me off. The physical phone itself isnt that well crafted. It has its ups and downs.

The physical construction on the phone is very solid I'm not sure what part is not well crafted? I mean the keyboard isn't the greatest but it's a solid phone overall

Robby

Los Doyers!
Yeah I think its built strong and I live the design.
Don't see no problems, although for people with big thumbs, hitting the top row of keys may be too difficult for them.

Adiuvo

I've been looking at the phone for awhile but can't figure out if it's offered unlocked. It's either between this or the Nexus One to replace my crappy Xenon.

Seth

MD Party Room
Ah, that cuts it out of a possible purchase then. Back to the Nexus One I guess.

You can still get the HTC's Desire or Legend in basic pretty much the same thing

-HTC Sense
-3.2-inch
-camera has an LED light
-It's fast
-2.1 Android

On the plus side the Legend has the best battery life of any Android phone out and might I say the sexiest one to.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
You can still get the HTC's Desire or Legend in basic pretty much the same thing

-HTC Sense
-3.2-inch
-camera has an LED light
-It's fast
-2.1 Android

On the plus side the Legend has the best battery life of any Android phone out and might I say the sexiest one to.

I personally don't know much about the Legend, but I know the Desire cannot use 3G in the US for whatever reason, otherwise I would've recommended it.

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
The physical construction on the phone is very solid I'm not sure what part is not well crafted? I mean the keyboard isn't the greatest but it's a solid phone overall

I mean the functionality. The soft keys are horribly placed too close to the bottom of the screen. The QWERTY is pretty small too, granted, qwertys are rare these days so complaining about them is useless.