• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

What makes google better than yahoo?

calieigh

Hi friends
I always use yahoo for searching etc. But everyone always talks about google this and google that. Can anyone really tell me what google has and does that Yahoo cannot?
I heard that Google is better because the email doesn't have as much spam and the search engines better. what do u think?

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Hi friends
I always use yahoo for searching etc. But everyone always talks about google this and google that. Can anyone really tell me what google has and does that Yahoo cannot?
I heard that Google is better because the email doesn't have as much spam and the search engines better. what do u think?

Yahoo results have terrible accuracy compared to Google for one. Another thing is that bothers me, although this is mostly down to personal preference, is that their homepage looks cluttered.

Hellcat

Contributor
I miss the old times of Altavista (not to be confused with "Astalavista" - does that one even still exist, damn, those memories, I shall check xD) and Fireball....

Holy crap, *lolol*, Astalavista indeed does still exist.... after all those years.... (10 or so?).

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
I miss the old times of Altavista (not to be confused with "Astalavista" - does that one even still exist, damn, those memories, I shall check xD) and Fireball....

Holy crap, *lolol*, Astalavista indeed does still exist.... after all those years.... (10 or so?).

I know that site too xD Hard to believe it's still around.

Seth

MD Party Room
[HIGHLIGHT][/HIGHLIGHT]
Yahoo results have terrible accuracy compared to Google for one. Another thing is that bothers me, although this is mostly down to personal preference, [HIGHLIGHT]is that their homepage looks cluttered.[/HIGHLIGHT]

Yahoo! Search - Web Search

Joey

Nobody is going to type "search.yahoo.com"... You're going to type "yahoo.com", and here's what you get...

www.yahoo.com/

Better search results, I have a gmail account that I've had for years. Google docs, google maps, google shopper are all things I use. Also, it's the default search engine for safari on iPhone, and Firefox. Also, I had a G1 for 9 months, and with out Google integration, it's nothing.

Honestly, if I switched from Google, it would be to Bing.

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
I've never tried Yahoo but if I did I'm pretty sure it would get less spam than my Google Mail account... I used to get 12000 spam emails every 30 days (Spam is autodeleted after 30 days) though that's dropped down to about 2500 every 30 days, but that's still A LOT.
Also, Google's search suggestion are so much better: Type "dinosaurs were" you get "dinosaurs were invented by the cia to discourage time travel", type "why is there" you get "why is there a dead pakistani on my couch?" and so many others xD

Riorio99

Google has built a reputation for being the best, by innovating. It was the first to search by relevance (I think), and has since added more and more features, like GMail, Docs, and the Reader. Also, its the recommended search engine, even on IE8 (Or it was the last time I used IE).

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
Google has built a reputation for being the best, by innovating. It was the first to search by relevance (I think), and has since added more and more features, like GMail, Docs, and the Reader. Also, its the recommended search engine, even on IE8 (Or it was the last time I used IE).

Nope, IE is all like "Use bing now! It's not like it's google just with slightly different graphical design, we promise..."

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Yahoo has always had a cluttered interface, from their default homepage to their mail client. I hated using Yahoo Mail when I did and prefer GMail 100% of the time, it's a cleaner interface and has plenty of add-ons and settings for you to tweak to your hearts content. The search results from Google have proven to be some of the best search results for nearly a decade now (I started using Google's Search Engine back in its early days when it was still gaining traction when yahoo and other engines were on top). I've been using it for a decade now and used GMail as my primary mail client the second I could get an invitation and haven't turned back.

Google really grows on you (and with you ;) and for those who have been using it for years now it's hard to go back to anything else. I'm also very familiar with Google's search engine parameters/commands such as using quotes and the minus/subtraction sign to include or exclude pages with certain words in it).

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
(I'm also very familiar with Google's search engine parameters/commands such as using quotes and the minus/subtraction sign to include or exclude pages with certain words in it).

Same! I can always find whatever I'm searching for extremely quickly regardless of how unfindable you would think it is, just because of the way I searched for it.
To be honest, a common thing I write is "-torrent".

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
Google's easy to say, and it's pretty plain.

Google.com->Search

Yahoo.com->Find search bar->Etc

Call me lazy, but that's really why. Plus, Google sounds cooler.

Colm

Google Caffeine is the best search engine ever, it's fast and relevant. I dunno if caffeine is site-wide but it's much faster than the competition... Bing is rumoured to run on some very unique technology. Check out Seeqpod on Wikipedia, appearantly Bing is based on their engine. Maybe some more fine-tuning could make it a serious threat.