• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Multi What was the first game you ever played?

Bran

Yell
Adventure on the Atari 2600
Adventure_Box_Front.jpg

Slasher

Suck It
genesis_system.jpg

The original Sonic the Hedgehog was the first game I remember ever playing
SONIC.JPG

(For some reason this case says "Sega Mega drive" although I remember distinctly this is what the game case looked like for my copy of sonic and it said sega genesis on it. I think Mega Drive and Genesis are the same thing though)

MenaceInc

Staff Member
[qimg]http://origin.arstechnica.com/articles/culture/sega-genesis-turns-20.media/genesis_system.jpg[/qimg]

The original Sonic the Hedgehog was the first game I remember ever playing
[qimg]http://www.nerdles.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/SONIC.JPG[/qimg]
(For some reason this case says "Sega Mega drive" although I remember distinctly this is what the game case looked like for my copy of sonic and it said sega genesis on it. I think Mega Drive and Genesis are the same thing though)

Yeah, the original name was Megadrive but there was a trademark previously in the US for that so Sega renamed their console to Genesis for the US market.

I can't distinctly remember what my first game was but it may have been Super Mario Brothers or Sonic 1 on the Megadrive. The first game I remember owning a copy of though was Sonic 2 which I got bundled with my Megadrive.

Also, lol@"high definition graphics"

qbert1.jpg

My was Q*bert on a Atari 2500 (or was it 2600? cant remember too young at the time) then it was Mario, Sonic that leave my atari in dust.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
I can't recall but I never owned a gaming console until the N64. I was always envious of my friends who owned a NES and SNES so I got most of my gaming from the PC side of the world. I remember playing a lot of DOS-based games and always having to launch them through the command prompt but aside from that I'm not sure what game was my "first". I do recall however playing Jazz the Jack Rabbit and Larax and Zaco on top of Duke Nukem (which is still one of my favorite games)

Trigun

That guy, who Records Music.
Haha@ Megadrive. I grew knowing it as the Genesis but in my adult life I can't but calling it the MegaDrive whenever I talk about it with friends.

Spiros

Maiki
I'm not completely sure which came first, I got a GameBoy(the original one ofcourse) bundled with Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3. I loved that game. Then I think it was Donkey Kong Country for the SNES. Loved that game aswell; I still go back and play it sometimes.

Jetpack on the PC was my first. The game ran on MS-DOS.

Wow, I didn't think many people played that game, I used to play it in my grade 2-3 class. It was also one of the first few games I ever played. Just downloaded Jetpack again last year, it's freeware and you can run it in DOSBox.

LocutusEstBorg

I'm not 100% sure what I played first. Whatever it was, it would have been either Atari 2600 (moon patrol, pitfall!, etc) or the ascii games on the KayPro II (CatChum, Ladder, etc)

I first played that one on the Atari 2600 where two "vehicles" follow each other around a maze and can shoot a square bullet to hit the other one. The bullet would travel around the maze and return to you if it missed. The console had a hardware difficulty switch! You had to turn on a switch and the console would start cycling through the games and you had to stop it at the game you wanted!

Imagine a PS3 with a hardware difficulty switch lol. I seriously got into gaming only with the NES. The NES games blew away anything on the PC at the time. I had a fake NES. There were no fake Genesis and I was extremely jealous of my friends who had Genesii (?).

Cloudy

I don't remember the name of the game, but it was on a BBC Micro. It was some sort of educational game. You had to do something to allow an elephant to be lifted onto a truck.

I wish I knew the name of the game - even half an hour of googling hasn't helped.

Nick

the first super mario bros on my brothers nentendo. that game was soo fun! when i play it now, it brings back fond memories. i remember: whenever i died, i used to bite the controller and blame it on our dog :D

shikamaru

Senior Member ~ Trolololo
Pokemon Blue- Gameboy Colour
100 solid hours gametime, then again, it was mostly walking around confused when i was younger but yeah...good times, good times