• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Multi Why Dead Space is one of the best action/horror games in years

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
The title of this thread speaks for itself and it's like a short pseudo-review of the game so expect spoilers and keep in mind this is only my opinion.

"Why Dead Space is one of the best action/horror games in years"

Why do I say this do you ask? One word: "Desperation"

I had barely heard of Visceral Games before Dead Space came along, and their latest effort "Dante's Inferno" isn't the best game ever but Dead Space is in a league of it's own. It brought back fear into horror games through the means of desperation (just like the original Resident Evil did).

The theme of the game is desperation. The game wants you to fear every corner of the ship at every given second and it does so in a variety of ways:

1 - You never know where the aliens are coming from. They can come throught the ducts, through any of your sides or even the goddamn floor.

2 - Choices. Dead Space doesn't forgive. You are given little money throughout the game and you must use it wisely at the store, and even when upgrading you must choose what you're gonna upgrade very carefully because there aren't many power nodes around. The RIG maybe? Or would it be wiser to upgrade a gun? But which? The game wants you to feel confused and it does so brilliantly.

3 - Puzzles ahoy! The game has a few basic puzzles you must solve thrown in but believe me, considering the scenario you're thrown at, even the simplest thing becomes much harder.

4 - Big monsters, tough monters. Aliens in Dead Space are unforgiving, either you have to kill huge leviathans or empty entire cartidges on the damn monsters. In any one of those cases, you'll find that surviving becomes a whole lot harder.

If you haven't played this game, do it! You'll find it very rewarding hopefully, just as I did.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Got it for free when EA had a mixup on it's online store, one hell of an amazing game. Only thing I would suggest for anyone with the PC version is to reduce the gamma in the configuration file to about -2, it makes it even scarier

KezraPlanes

Just some dood

Seth

MD Party Room