• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Wii Wii Firmware 3.3 Drops, Renders Twilight Hack Useless

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
wiihomebrew.jpg

It was inevitable. Reports are coming in that the latest Wii firmware update from Nintendo deletes and prevents edited save game files from being loaded via SD Card. Essentially, this means that the homebrew enabling Twilight Hack, which comes in the form of a modified save file for non-modified Wii consoles, will no longer function if system menu 3.3 is installed.

According to folks who have already updated, the custom made Homebrew Channel is still accessible if you have it installed prior to upgrading to the new firmware, which is somewhat of a relief.

Avid user of Wii homebrew? Save yourself and stay clear of this update, for the time being at least.

Tenshigami

<p>How safe is the Twilight Hack? I held off on the firmware update, but if installing the Homebrew channel can brick your Wii, I don't want to bother.</p>

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
I haven't heard of anyone bricking by installing the Homebrew Channel.

The only thing is after installing the Homebrew Channel, Nintendo will know you have it installed as it shows up in your channel data. I suppose they could take this data and ban users that have the channel installed from accessing certain features (like online play). I don't see them going this far to fight homebrew though, but who knows. The Wii homebrew scene is still in its early stages so it's hard to say.