• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Wii2 Confirmed

Dan

Contributor
Global president, Satoru Iwata, has confirmed that Nintendo have started work on their next generation system to the Wall Street Journal.

The new console will include the motion-sensing system and the system will be going through rigorous testing before it's unleashed.

NeilR

eXo Admin
Enforcer Team
Interesting. I wonder if this will turn out to be a true successor or rather a small upgrade of the current system.

Pokemanz master

Lowering your IQ
"motion-sensing system" isn't that already on the wii....
Far as I can see nothing is new, but I well be buying it since I don't own a wii. lol

Adiuvo

Pretty quick to release a new system. It's probably just a rehash.

It just probably Wii 02g instead of Wii2.

Like PSP-1000 to PSP-2000, it's probably a small change from to Wii to Wii 02g.

twelve

I'm not dead
I agree it's gotta be a Wii 1.5 type thing. Altho could be that they've just announced this really early. I'm sure MS and Sony are hard at work on their next consoles too but they're not announcing them yet.

If it is a rehash I reckon it'll have a hard drive, wii motion plus built in, an ethernet port and probably drop the gamecube ports.

Riorio99

I agree it's gotta be a Wii 1.5 type thing. Altho could be that they've just announced this really early. I'm sure MS and Sony are hard at work on their next consoles too but they're not announcing them yet.

If it is a rehash I reckon it'll have a hard drive, wii motion plus built in, an ethernet port and probably drop the gamecube ports.

Thinking along similar lines. Drop everything Gamecube, new style remotes with M+ and Wireless Nuchuks, more memory, and above all, knowing Nintendo, smaller and more colours.

DrLame

Ham Eater
Sounds like they might add bars to detect the player's position and what they're doing, not just the controller sensors. That kindof stuff has been out in arcades for 10 years, so it's about time we got it in a console. Hopefully they're taking some youtube videos to heart and using that to make a 'new' technology. One video in particular is this one. If you haven't seen it, take a look: YouTube - Head Tracking for Desktop VR Displays using the WiiRemote

If they start implementing things like that, you can bet it'll be a pretty new experience... for one player, at least. At least that'd be wii 1.75 =)

Noriyuke

lol on the wii1.75 thing, who knows what new crazy idea they've created, maybe the Wii2 Implements a couple of new ideas that they came up with that works really well in their R&D department. But Who Knows.

The Teej

Also know as The Tjalian
Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft generally start development on the Wii years before it's actually released. We won't see this new console for a few years yet, at least.

As for whether the Wii 2 will be a major upgrade or a smaller upgrade a la the GCN->Wii, lord only knows. It's way too early to tell. I think it'd be a bigger upgrade, Nintendo IMO can't really afford to do a minor upgrade for the next generation, it'd be too big of a gap between the other two (it's too big of a gap now, but that's besides the point).

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft generally start development on the Wii years before it's actually released. We won't see this new console for a few years yet, at least.

As for whether the Wii 2 will be a major upgrade or a smaller upgrade a la the GCN->Wii, lord only knows. It's way too early to tell. I think it'd be a bigger upgrade, Nintendo IMO can't really afford to do a minor upgrade for the next generation, it'd be too big of a gap between the other two (it's too big of a gap now, but that's besides the point).

I would say the Wii is only in the middle of it's cycle so I would expect a new console within 2-3 years time. Microsoft and Sony are probably already working on thier next generation of consoles, but the problem is - what more could they do without making the price of game development go up even more than it is now

The Teej

Also know as The Tjalian
I would say the Wii is only in the middle of it's cycle so I would expect a new console within 2-3 years time. Microsoft and Sony are probably already working on thier next generation of consoles, but the problem is - what more could they do without making the price of game development go up even more than it is now

Hmm, actually, I see a longer generation cycle this time around. I don't think we'll see a new console until around 2012-2013, maybe even 2014, instead of the originally proposed 2011-2012.

Lets face it, both Microsoft and Sony need more time to recuperate their losses from the first couple of years (or in Sony's cases, current loss), which a 2-3 year cycle may not provide. Plus, games generally take longer to develop, and a 5 year cycle means only 1-2 major games from some studios per generation, which is ridiculous.