• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Will 0.1GHz make a big difference in the processor?

androidkaita

Drop The Gun

androidkaita

Drop The Gun
One is:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core processor QL-60 (1.9GHz)

and the other

ntel Pentium dual-core processor T3200 (2.0GHz)

The lower GHz one has 120gb more HDD space, and a bigger screen.

The difference will be minuscule. Power-wise, they're the same (35W), so no major differences with battery life. Same L2 size as well. The only thing that differs between the two is the manufacturer and 100 MHz, so I doubt any major performance differences. I find the original purchase better, the better screen + larger HDD outweighs the slight performance increase.

Seth

MD Party Room
There will be a noticeable difference, but not because of the 100Mhz difference. The core 2 duo is a better CPU an will outperform an X2 running at similar speeds.

It not a C2d is a Pentium D Intel Crapply low end line of of CPU....

I a bigger fan of AMD on notebooks....And Dont game on a laptop...And dont shop at bestbuy thinking your getting a good deal...

Tommi

It not a C2d is a Pentium D Intel Crapply low end line of of CPU....

I a bigger fan of AMD on notebooks....And Dont game on a laptop...And dont shop at bestbuy thinking your getting a good deal...

Actually, the Pentium Dual-core is really an original core duo with a smaller cache.

Comparison to the Pentium D

Although using the Pentium name, the Pentium Dual Core is based on the Core technology, which can clearly be seen when comparing the specification to the Pentium D series. For example, the Pentium Dual Core has a maximum of 2MB of L2 Cache while the Pentium D processors can have up to 4MB of L2 Cache. But the major difference is the Pentium Dual Core processors only consume 65W peak while the Pentium D consumes a considerable 130W peak consumption which shows its relation to the Core power-saving technology. Despite having a smaller L2 cache, the Pentium dual-core has proven to be much faster than the Pentium D under a variety of CPU-intensive applications

Pentium Dual-Core - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hardrive

Contributor
There will be a noticeable difference, but not because of the 100Mhz difference. The core 2 duo is a better CPU an will outperform an X2 running at similar speeds.

I was going to say the same thing. If it's still possible, I would buy the Intel computer.

androidkaita

Drop The Gun
I have them both lol, but I have to return one.

So can you explain why exactly the intel one would be better? Is the 100MHz really worth offering up the extra 120GB and .6"? (I don't care either way, I just want to make sure I'm keeping the best out of the two)

I suppose I should tell you what I would be using the computer for. I qould use it mostly for photoshop and after effects, and maybe a tiny bit of gaming.

ChurchedAtheist

Your resident psycho hobo
do you NEED the extra 120gb? if it is unnecessary, then it isn't a factor. I would prefer the smaller laptop for portability.

androidkaita

Drop The Gun
No, I dont, because I have an external 1TB HDD lol.

It just sucks cuz I have th eintel one right next to me, but I can't open it until the other one ships, because we need to make sure that we can return the one thats shipping :(

androidkaita

Drop The Gun
I'd recommend you take a look at the Megahertz myth, clock speed is not the end all of measuring processor performance.

Ok, so all that did was make me more confused haha. Now I know that 20GHz is not neccessarily better than 1.9GHz, depending on the processor, so which on is better the AMD or Intel?

ChurchedAtheist

Your resident psycho hobo
isn't the main dependancy of which is better the FSB?

Tommi

AMD runs much cooler than Intel, so it's better for laptops.

Wanna bet?

Give me one AMD chip that runs cooler than for example; the intel Atom....

Which, by the way, runs cooler than the chipset that its connected to...

Intel have completely redesigned their chips, and most outperform their AMD conterparts....

Intels back on top.

eldiablov

Contributor
I can definitely vouch for the atom. Low power consumption and cool enough for my fan to be near silent in my NC10.