• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Windows 7 Discussion [Screenshots Enclosed]

explosions

Member
twelve said:
The latest eeepc has an 60GB hard drive.
lol

I saw a newer version of this the other day (by like one number). Is it really worth all the trouble of installing/uninstalling just to preview it? (Slow comp == no vm)
 

twelve

I'm not dead
Unless you actually want to bug test it for microsoft then no there isn't. It's not ready to be used as a full OS hence why you have to reinstall it so often.
 
I'm really looking forward to Seven. If Microsoft manages to learn from what problems people had with Vista, we will have the next XP. Also, the new lightweight kernel will help in performance gains. Is it me, or is the new taskbar vaguely reminiscent of the KDE bar? :p
 

_Syn

New Member
If only Microsoft and Macintosh worked together to make an ultimate OS.
Let Microsoft do the programming, and let Mac do the graphical interface and all that. It'll never happen.
 

twelve

I'm not dead
_Syn said:
If only Microsoft and Macintosh worked together to make an ultimate OS.
Let Microsoft do the programming, and let Mac do the graphical interface and all that. It'll never happen.
Why? The programming is what Apple are good at, there's a reason the latest OSX will run on a 10 year old Mac. Try installing Vista on a 10 year old PC.

Microsoft are crap at the back end programming, if anything let Apple program the OS and then MS can skin it.
 

_Syn

New Member
twelve said:
Why? The programming is what Apple are good at, there's a reason the latest OSX will run on a 10 year old Mac. Try installing Vista on a 10 year old PC.

Microsoft are crap at the back end programming, if anything let Apple program the OS and then MS can skin it.
You either misinterpreted what I said, or I didn't say it clear enough. What is the major OS out there, that is literally compatible with EVERY software? Windows, exactly. That's what I was saying. Windows is completely capable of making a huge OS, but they just need to make it more stable, not like the Vista. The XP was probably their gretest creation (not belittling their work on 95, 98, 2000, NT and all the other ones).

I just find that Mac makes better skins, I mean their skins are just, for the lack of a better word, orgasmic on the eyes. I never owned a Mac, but everytime I see one, the interface catches my eye. :tup:
 

explosions

Member
_Syn said:
What is the major OS out there, that is literally compatible with EVERY software? Windows, exactly.
EVERY piece of software. Including viruses.

I thought apple just skinned a version of BSD and called it theirs. amirite?
 

ilyace

Member
_Syn said:
You either misinterpreted what I said, or I didn't say it clear enough. What is the major OS out there, that is literally compatible with EVERY software? Windows, exactly. That's what I was saying. Windows is completely capable of making a huge OS, but they just need to make it more stable, not like the Vista. The XP was probably their gretest creation (not belittling their work on 95, 98, 2000, NT and all the other ones).

I just find that Mac makes better skins, I mean their skins are just, for the lack of a better word, orgasmic on the eyes. I never owned a Mac, but everytime I see one, the interface catches my eye. :tup:

Imo that really doesn't mean anything...it just means the dev wrote it for Windows and not OSX, which probably depended on what he was running himeself. And as far as what twelve was saying, i totally agree.
 

mohaas05

New Member
The reason Windows is dominant is because Microsoft uses dirty business tactics to force programs to work only on Windows. For instance, they deliberately modified the Windows version of Java, which is supposed to be non-platform dependent to include Windows specific calls, locking all Java apps to Windows.

That's why I don't use it anymore. Instead of putting up with a half-assed OS that hasn't changed internally for 10 years, I use Linux instead where even stuff like Compiz-Fusion will work on old computers.



Oh and btw, OSX isn't derived from BSD. The Darwin kernel is derived from NEXTSTEP, borrowing some code from FreeBSD.
 
mohaas05 said:
Oh and btw, OSX isn't derived from BSD. The Darwin kernel is derived from NEXTSTEP, borrowing some code from FreeBSD.
Comprised of XNU, BSD, Mach and code from NextStep to form Darwin if i'm not mistaken. It's a hybrid monolithic-micro kernel. It's all open source, which is a major plus for everyone. They didn't steal anything, rather they contribute to Darwin, to the open-source community. So many people dub Mac OS X as 'a pretty face'. Use it for about twenty minutes and you'll realize it's something more.

I feel that it's the backwards compatibility that's holding Windows back. Microsoft can introduce the .NET framework as much as they want, but untill they actually depreciate old APIs, developers will stick to what they're used to. Competition is what drives the industry, Microsoft has taken a bad rap from Vista, and will have to work hard to win back customers.
 

AndyMosh

2 Cups Win, 1 Cup Lulz.
I can't wait for Windows 7 to be released, it has so many cool things said about it and will be going straight on to my PC. Windows 7 > XP/Vista.
 

Seth

MD Party Room
I going to be running Microsoft.Windows.7.64Bit.Build.6801 in a little while cant wait
 

mohaas05

New Member
Yay. By the time this comes out, computers should be advanced enough to run Windows Vista at an acceptable speed.
 

Seth

MD Party Room
Computers can do that now...
 
Top