• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

[WIP] Asterz

Noriyuke

Youresam and I have been working on both the client side and server side respectively. The server seems to be nearing complete, and the client side is seeing a lot of progress especially with my latest breakthrough lol. I've worked pretty much every night till the early hours of 4-5am on this, so I hope it's worth it. It's been quite the learning experience and creating wifi infrastructure is certainly not as easy as it may seem to be!

Once things are functional enough I'll message you guys that would like to help out. It should hopefully be done within the next week depending on how smoothly things go.

The details of the multiplayer are that it's going to be a 4 player deathmatch. Kill others, be killed yourself. Hopefully it's chaotic. You will be automatically placed into a room with other players, or if no other players exist or the room is full, then you automatically start up your own new room. It's all automated, so sorry but no choosing distinct rooms to be joining. I'm using UDP sockets&packets so it shouldn't have trouble sending the data fast enough.

Its all automated now, but will, later on, there be improvement to the point where we can choose rooms and add servers and things of that nature? I mean, is it even a possibility you will work on that? Just curious tho yo, not trying to force you to start working on all that.

Slasher

Suck It
Its all automated now, but will, later on, there be improvement to the point where we can choose rooms and add servers and things of that nature? I mean, is it even a possibility you will work on that? Just curious tho yo, not trying to force you to start working on all that.

Probably down the road, yes. As well as adding different multiplayer modes maybe. That's not really high up on my priority list right now though so don't get too excited lol.

Noriyuke

Oh, im not really too excited about multiplayer at all, just curious, but yeah, im more pumped for the single player right now, about the tweaking of homeworld and maybe thinking up new addtions and stuff like that.

Slasher

Suck It
Homeworld won't be coming for probably at least a couple of months. It's an entirely new installment if you hadn't picked up on that earlier.
The singleplayer as it is right now includes 10 initial levels & an arcade mode. Homeworld is sort of a separate thing coming later on. It'll all be good though! :)

Noriyuke

i totally did not figure that out, and frankly, I'm really disappointed after hearing that, but that's coo i guess...

Slasher

Suck It
Sorry I've been really busy lately with my new phone and other things. I haven't touched the Asterz source since my last post. My GFX guy, Ubersheep, is getting a new PSP soon and he'll be starting to work on a few things (like health, and ammo bar) to add on to the GUI.
I probably won't be touching it for another few days thanks to New Years and life being generally busy, but once things calm down a bit the release will come.

NeilR

eXo Admin
Enforcer Team
Real life likes to creep up on us from time to time. No worries Slasher.

Noriyuke

I ditto that, take your time, its not like i own psp either way, i've been using my little brothers. I will be buying my own soon, but not all that soon.

Slasher

Suck It
Just a quick little update here for you guys...

I've started working on Asterz once again for the past couple of nights and have added a few little things hopefully making the game feel a little more complete. I added a glow to the menu's options; made Arcade Mode an unlockable extra; also made a certain powerhouse ship an unlockable extra; added message dialog sliding transitions; updated intraFont to the newest version; and have probably added a few more things that I've forgotten as well.

I think I'll add motion support & a tv-out option as well now that I think about it as an added feature.

I'm sort of unsure whether to just release a current build as-is, and name it Build #7; or to just wait it out and release a final completely polished build - which would be an official Released Version 1. The main reason behind this is that internet play isn't as complete as I'd like it to be right now, and I'm also waiting on my graphics guy to come up with a health and ammo bar for the GUI

Well I'll probably be working on it more today and will hopefully get a good chunk of things done :cool:

Noriyuke

lol, dude, i say wait it out for version 1 and don't release a build 7 just fix what ya gotta fix, i'm just glad you gave us an update.

Slasher

Suck It
I got ALOT done last night guys, things are really shaping up. I've implemented some options, different types of background music, credits, and various other goodies :D

Slasher

Suck It
Release is imminent. I might end up releasing it before youresam gets the server done. The more improved server might just have to come later on :) I'm sick of waiting and I want to get this released :)

Slasher

Suck It
Quick update here: I've spoke with youresam, and he swears that "this week...it'll be done". So the release will definitely be coming this week. In the mean time, I'll be working on polishing whatever I think can be polished. Stay tuned

Slasher

Suck It
I've been really busy, sorry about the delay. I have a lot going on this weekend as well, so it is coming monday, alright? If it doesn't come out on monday then I'll mail you 100 dollars

Noriyuke

OK, hey, a quick idea on missions, you know how you showed me that linear vs. open drawing? Ok, heres an open based mission, make a bunch of asteroids as obstacles for movement while placing certain ships on parts of the map, then basically you go through whatever obstacles to get to the ships you got to kill. you could even go as far as to make the larger asteroids impassible while making small asteroids as a small obstacle that can be destroyed. all to get to said objective.