• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

[WIP] Texer

Slasher

Suck It
Texer a Team-Duck Production
Created by Slasher (Coding) & Madsoul (GFX & SFX & Concept)
menulogodp2.png

Some of you may have gotten a glimpse of this over at QJ when I made a post in the developers section a long time ago.

menuconcept1xo5.png

Texer has long been in development since February of this year ('08). Most of the work so far was done during the better half of February/March, and then I stopped developing it and just haven't really touched it since... Well with my new born inspiration to put mformature on the map, I've decided to crank up the inner developer engine within me and have decided to begin development on this game once again. In addition to this project, there's a couple of other projects I plan to pursue further after the initial release of Texer. Hopefully some quality homebrew is produced in the coming weeks/months

864sdwwgy2.png

(Concept shot, very similar to actual game play at this stage)

Texer puts you in control of "YOU" - a floating word in an unprecedented universe. Your main goal is to essentially survive by pounding incoming hostile words with several different types of weaponry. It is a side scrolling shooter meant to bring something fresh to the scene. Some of the following words may sound familiar to you, "LOL", "WTF", "STFU", "ZOMG" and "LULZ" are among some of the words that you will encounter in your endeavers. In addition to these insignificant 'petty' words, you will encounter a slew of large bosses willing to do anything in order to stop you from reaching your goal.

With all of these baddies out to stop you, there will be 4 distinct varieties of shooting that will be made available at your dispense. The bullets float around your "YOU" character until fired, which makes for a unique strategy involved when firing. For example, if a bullet is floating in a circular motion around "YOU", and is headed upwards when fired, it will be fired in an upwards motion. Movement to direct bullets is key in landing accurate shots. There's "Normal" bullets, typical infinite shooting bullets with low damage; "Scatter" bullets, shooting three moderately powered bullets at once meant to deal damage in a large area; "Seeking" bullets, highly damaging bullets that will track it's target relentlessly until it's destroyed; And lastly, the ultimate weapon, "Zap" bullets which will wipe the screen free of any hostile enemies.
conceptshootsrp1.png

In the coming days/week or so, hopefully I will be able to provide a current alpha release of the progress so far. This will be an ongoing development thread and I'll provide updates of progress along the way. In the mean time, please provide any input of what you think.

CONTENT(Pics, Videos, Updates)
Slasher Nov 19/2008 said:
Here's a quick video of the different varieties of shooting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROv-jOXwoO0

As you can see the normal fire also has an alternative fire where you suck all 5 bullets into "YOU", and then can fire them all at once rather than one at a time. It's at the cost of time, but it can deal more damage!

You also get a glimpse of the seeking bullets (green), the homing bullets (orange), and the zap bullet which wipes the screen free of any enemies.

Stay tuned for an alpha release sooooooon
Slasher Nov 20/2008 said:
So here's a quick teaser Alpha showing the basic gameplay mechanics:

Here's a taste of the initial gameplay development phase. Please keep in mind, nothing is final. You'll be able to reach about half way through to the second level before enemies will just stop coming :) Have fun

Download Here

NeilR

eXo Admin
Enforcer Team
That's an interesting concept for a shooter you came up with. The floating bullets sounds cool; are the other bullet types going to be temporary upgrades?

I look forward to updates. :tup:

Slasher

Suck It
By killing things, powerups of different weapons will randomly appear for you to collect (if you're quick enough). The number of bullets stay with you as you progress, up until a maximum of maybe 20 or so of each type.

Example -> You pick up a 5 scatter bullets pick up. Those 5 bullets will stay with you until you decide to fire them

NeilR

eXo Admin
Enforcer Team
Ah, so you'll be able to cycle through your available types I suppose. Sounds good.

Slasher

Suck It
madsoul said:
oh slasher! :D i wish i had my psp still! :( but anyway, im up for helping you finnish the game!
Sounds good lol, I'm going to try and pump a lot of my free time into this. I hope things turn out :D

Slasher

Suck It
Here's a quick video of the different varieties of shooting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROv-jOXwoO0

As you can see the normal fire also has an alternative fire where you suck all 5 bullets into "YOU", and then can fire them all at once rather than one at a time. It's at the cost of time, but it can deal more damage!

You also get a glimpse of the seeking bullets (green), the homing bullets (orange), and the zap bullet which wipes the screen free of any enemies.

Stay tuned for an alpha release sooooooon

Slasher

Suck It
So here's a quick teaser Alpha showing the basic gameplay mechanics:

Here's a taste of the initial gameplay development phase. Please keep in mind, nothing is final. You'll be able to reach about half way through to the second level before enemies will just stop coming :) Have fun

Download Here

Also, the boss at the end of level 1 is a little dull right now, don't worry things will get spiced up soon enough!

NeilR

eXo Admin
Enforcer Team
Looking good. It's pretty tricky getting a decent shot.

Slasher

Suck It
It's takes some time to get a feeling for when to shoot. I find that moving around so that your bullets get bunched together makes for a somewhat more accurate shot. Also I forgot to mention holding down CIRCLE groups your normal bullets together for a combo shot

And a cheat included in this - if you press select, it gives you free bullets for whatever you have equipped

Please post anything you think that can be improved. Suggestions are more than welcome!

wololo

Great design and very original concept :). Playability/fun requires a bit work though.

I'd be interested to know how you did all these cool graphic effects (background gradients and stuff...)