• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

360 Xbox 360 DVD flashing guide

Adiuvo

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
I have all the stuff I would need, even the little 360 opener tool, and have had them for months, am just debating whether to do it. I know the Stealth firmware has precautions over current checks and even possible future checks, but I love Xbox Live so much and do not know what I would do without it.
Can anyone convince me either way?

Adiuvo

As long as you used stealth backups you're fine. I heard of a time when someone was caught and they were using those.

twelve

I'm not dead
I'm gonna wait until after the dash upgrade in November to make sure the ixtreme firmware is still safe.

I hope to stick a BenQ guide up before then but it'll be an assumption guide because I've never actually done one.

@Adiuvo: That was before Hitachi drives supported stealth backups, the firmware was stealth but it didn't actually make use of stealth backups.

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
Adiuvo said:
As long as you used stealth backups you're fine. I heard of a time when someone was caught and they were using those.
Wait, so stealth backups stop them detecting, but apparently someone was caught with a stealth backup...?

Also, how do I tell if it's stealthed? Would it say on the download, and if not is there some program to make sure discs are stealthed?

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
Adiuvo said:
Meant to put haven't there instead of have.

Stealth patching guide.
Oh right, thanks. So no one has been caught with stealthed discs? You would think Microsoft would be cleverer than that.

Are games I download more likely or less likely to already be stealth patched? I will of course check each one but I just want to know to see whether I need to be familiar with stealth patching or will rarely have to do it.

twelve

I'm not dead
Adiuvo said:
Meant to put haven't there instead of have.

Stealth patching guide.
If I get time I was gonna write some other guides rather than linking to all the other ones so that we generate more traffic here.

If ixtreme 1.5 comes out after the dash upgrade I'll have to do some guides for upgrading the firmware as it's not a case of following these guides again. The ixtreme cfw have firmguard to stop them being modified in the same way they were installed.

twelve

I'm not dead
El Xando said:
Oh right, thanks. So no one has been caught with stealthed discs? You would think Microsoft would be cleverer than that.

Are games I download more likely or less likely to already be stealth patched? I will of course check each one but I just want to know to see whether I need to be familiar with stealth patching or will rarely have to do it.
Most are already stealth patched. The good thing is the ixtreme firmware wont boot a game that isn't stealth patched so you don't have to worry about loading one by mistake.

androidkaita

Drop The Gun
I have 2 consoles, so I'd love to do this for one just for single player games and stuff. Unfortunately, I then need to buy like a SATA cable, and I dont even know where to connect it if I got one, let alone IF I could connect it, my computer is old as shit.

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
twelve said:
Most are already stealth patched. The good thing is the ixtreme firmware wont boot a game that isn't stealth patched so you don't have to worry about loading one by mistake.
Wow, thanks a hell of a lot twelve, after the new dashboard update if everything still works, I will definitely be flashing mine.

Mr. Beefy

Suck It Trebek
androidkaita said:
I have 2 consoles, so I'd love to do this for one just for single player games and stuff. Unfortunately, I then need to buy like a SATA cable, and I dont even know where to connect it if I got one, let alone IF I could connect it, my computer is old as shit.

SATA cables are cheap. Mine came with the VIA SATA card I ordered from Newegg.

androidkaita

Drop The Gun
Mr. Beefy said:
SATA cables are cheap. Mine came with the VIA SATA card I ordered from Newegg.
What i'm going to try to do this friday is go to my friends house and do it there, cuz he has a newer computer, plus a lot of SATA cables. I just hope I dont fuck it up, but if I do, is there a way to unbrick?

Mr. Beefy

Suck It Trebek
androidkaita said:
What i'm going to try to do this friday is go to my friends house and do it there, cuz he has a newer computer, plus a lot of SATA cables. I just hope I dont fuck it up, but if I do, is there a way to unbrick?

iPrep makes a backup of all the original firmware files before you actually erase and flash the drive. I've fucked up a 360 before and all I had to do was re-flash with the original files. I have backups of every drive's files I've ever flashed on my computer.

androidkaita

Drop The Gun
Mr. Beefy said:
iPrep makes a backup of all the original firmware files before you actually erase and flash the drive. I've fucked up a 360 before and all I had to do was re-flash with the original files. I have backups of every drive's files I've ever flashed on my computer.
noice, plus while now that I know how to open it it will be easy to fix the Error E74 if it occurs again

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
James. said:
I'm too wimpy to even try...

I'm in that club as well, but I will be doing it once I get my Elite back from red-ring warranty replacement.

It's scary to not have that warranty umbrella anymore.

Mr. Beefy

Suck It Trebek
androidkaita said:
aw damnit, I opened up my 360 and have the MS28! Fuck, I might as well just get it done for $40 by some guy on craigslist than buy a new SATA VIA chip thingy.

Toshiba drives are (IMO) the easiest to flash. And the cost of buying the VIA SATA card is far cheaper than $40.