• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Xbox 360 hack/swaping drives?

El Diablo

I may have made a post about this before, but I'm not sure so I figured I would make one now that I really want to do this.

I have a Black xbox 360 with a drive that is not reading discs. I have a DVD drive I took out of another that I believe works but I'm not actually positive so I want to do this and know if it's good and worth it or not or trash it.

Basically, what do I have to do to go about swapping that drive into the other 360, I know I need certain programs and what not but I don't know what specifically. I had heard that there was a way to do it using programs on a PC and plugging the drive into a computer with a sata cable and getting the keys off and swapping them and flashing and etc etc. I have sata cables, I have a computer to use for it obviously. Is there on specific program I can use to do this? Better yet is there any step by step guide to follow to do it?

If anyone has done this before or has any experience with it, could you possibly just post what you did in a few steps to try and give me an idea about what to do? I really don't know much about xboxes but from what I understand I should be able to do this fairly easily.

In addition, is "hacking" the xbox included in the act of swapping drives/flashing them. Basically, if I do this will I be able to play backed up games on DVDs after I swap the drives, or is doing that another separate step, and if so is there anywhere I can figure that out?

This isn't my biggest priority as long as I can get the dvd drive in there correctly and working and can use normal games. I also know/expect that online will not work anymore after this or whatever. Xbox live is not important and I would mainly be using this to play games LAN with my friends and stuff at their house.

Any help/advice/guides or information would be helpful.

Robby

Los Doyers!
Basically you have to find out what brand drive you have, most likely a benq since it's a black xbox. Use this as a guide
http://www.llamma.com/xbox360/Xbox_360_DVD_Drive_Comparison.htm

Anyways, you would have to take out the drive and connect it to your computer via sata and run a program called Jungleflasher. It will then take your dvd key which you can then either spoof it to work on the other drive or spoof it to a custom firmware and that would allow you to play backups.

If you can tell me the model drive you have and the one you want to swap it with, I can provide more instructions.

El Diablo

Sorry for the delay in getting back to this thread. I took my black xbox apart and it looks like both of my drives are the benq type but one says lite-on. The one not originally in it says "phillips and benq" etc etc on the bottom, and the one from inside of the black xbox says "phillips and lite-on" on the bottom of it. They both look exactly the same however. Same silver lid with a circle and small rectangle indent on the top, and when I look in the black hole on the front of it, I see a white wire and empty space inside of it despite not seeing benq written on both drives.

The one from inside the xbox has a model number of dg-16d2s and the other one I want to put in is vad6038. Ms part number for the original is x800474-008 and the one I want to put inside is x800474-006.

Robby

Los Doyers!
Ok so you want to spoof a benq as a liteon then. Liteons actually require extra hardware such as a spear or probe to read the key from if I remember correctly.

El Diablo

It would be my luck that I get stuck with something that actually does require extra hardware and can't do. FML.