• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

3.40 OE-A Install Guide

nachuman

running 1.5 trying to upgrade to 3.4 oe

unfortunately I am getting the "Invalid SHA-1" error... Is there anything I can do to get the DXAR file to write out properly? Without using a different memory stick that is? It still writes a DATA.DXAR file put the hashes don't match.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
running 1.5 trying to upgrade to 3.4 oe

unfortunately I am getting the "Invalid SHA-1" error... Is there anything I can do to get the DXAR file to write out properly? Without using a different memory stick that is? It still writes a DATA.DXAR file put the hashes don't match.

there's not much else you can do, other than formatting the memory stick. If that fails, you probably have a fake MS.

And I don't recommend getting the DATA.DXAR from someone else because if the stick can't create it, it will most likely load corrupted data when flashing and you'll end up with a brick.

nachuman

ahhh you're probably totally right. I knowingly did buy a "fake" or what I just assumed was a cheaper noname brand memory stick. Figured if it worked that was all that mattered. Which it actually did flawlessly until I tried this update. Had no problem saving files and downgrading with it...

Looks like I'll be off to future shop tomorrow to get a new (legit) one... I'd rather stay away from the more expensive sony cards though. How is updating to 3.4 oe with the scandisk cards? can anyone confirm with anything other than sony?

thanks!

this might be useful to some people?... (or maybe just noobs... aka... myself... sigh*)

http://reviews.ebay.co.uk/FAKE-Sony...Gate-Cards-Exposed_W0QQugidZ10000000001535763

Krelian

SanDisk for great justice!

Many of us here use SanDisk memory sticks, they're terrific!
I've used a blue SanDisk Mobile 512MB for almost all of the PSPs I've downgraded/installed custom firmware on.
(Mostly because 512MB isn't big enough to do anything else with...)

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
ahhh you're probably totally right. I knowingly did buy a "fake" or what I just assumed was a cheaper noname brand memory stick. Figured if it worked that was all that mattered. Which it actually did flawlessly until I tried this update. Had no problem saving files and downgrading with it...

Looks like I'll be off to future shop tomorrow to get a new (legit) one... I'd rather stay away from the more expensive sony cards though. How is updating to 3.4 oe with the scandisk cards? can anyone confirm with anything other than sony?

thanks!

this might be useful to some people?... (or maybe just noobs... aka... myself... sigh*)

http://reviews.ebay.co.uk/FAKE-Sony...Gate-Cards-Exposed_W0QQugidZ10000000001535763

:laugh: Yeah, I always find it funny that the Sony ones are more expensive. SanDisk memory sticks are far more reliable, and have faster transfer speeds. I have a 1GB and 2GB SanDisk myself and they work great.

btw yeah that guide is helpful.

Pantysniffer

That seems to be the general rule with Sony products, i.e. more expensive, but not necessarily better, and in some cases slightly worse.
Having said that, I adore my shiny blue PSP. I haven't been this excited by a videogame console since the DC.
By the way, how are you guys with dead and/or stuck pixels? I heard lots of scare stories about PSPs having an affinity for them when I was researching buying one. In fact it was my main query with the seller, and he got me nervous by saying that he basically didn't know (if his products would have any or not), but he's never had any complaints. I'm pleased, however, to report that my screen has 0 dead or stuck pixels. The build quality of this machine is perfect.
Oh, and speaking of the DC, I'm thrilled that Crazy Taxi is coming to the PSP. Now all they need is to bring Ready To Rumble Boxing Round 2, and I'll be complete.

Krelian

Zer0

I too have no dead pixels, that was one of two conditions I had when looking for a PSP (the other being at firmware 2.71 or less)...

Cheezeball99

But I was committed after that birthday party...
Likewise, guys, no dead pixels, although if there was a dead one it'd be hardly noticable considering it's such a high-res screen for how small it is anyway, a dead pixel would probably be no bigger than the end of a sewing needle. Although my DS DOES have a dead pixel:sad:

Roe

My PSP has two dead pixels. They only show up against a black screen though, so thats good.

Nofear-UK

Hi there, I am running 3.10 OE-A and want to upgrade to 3.40 OE-A. Do I just put the file on the psp and update like a normal update or do I follow these instructions again?

Thanks.

nachuman

just a quick update... picked up a brand new, in the box, legit scandisk 4GB memory card today and was able to successfully load 3.4 oe! woohoo!!!

(currently on sale at future shop and if you go to best buy they'll price match and knock an additional 10% off that price... )

I was also able to get a full refund back on the bogus memory stick. Seeing as how it was "defective"...

thanks for the help guys!

Cheezeball99

Hi there, I am running 3.10 OE-A and want to upgrade to 3.40 OE-A. Do I just put the file on the psp and update like a normal update or do I follow these instructions again?

Thanks.

You follow all of the instructions again.

Sirus69

Hello, I just bought my psp about 3 days ago and thank god finally found a way to down patch/upgrade but I went to test it out with Resident Evil 3 and when I hit the home buttong and Accepted to quit the game my psp went into a plain black screen with no response (guessing thats a brick?) Thankfully I removed the battery and it restarted just fine. But is their any solutions to this problem??? (yes im a psp noob, working my way from ze b0x moding)

Cheezeball99

Hello, I just bought my psp about 3 days ago and thank god finally found a way to down patch/upgrade but I went to test it out with Resident Evil 3 and when I hit the home buttong and Accepted to quit the game my psp went into a plain black screen with no response (guessing thats a brick?) Thankfully I removed the battery and it restarted just fine. But is their any solutions to this problem??? (yes im a psp noob, working my way from ze b0x moding)

Nah, that's not really a bricking. Uh, how long did you wait? Sometimes exiting from Popstation takes a little bit.

Fred Smith

OK, I'm really pissed off right now. A friend of mine finally bought a PSP and I was installing 3.40 OE-A onto it. During the flash process the screen went black. I thought, oh the screen turned off. I hit a shoulder button and nothing. I now have a PSP that will not turn on and only will turn off if I hold the power switch up for a long time.

Here's the process I went through. The PSP was an "I" with 2.60. I upgraded it to 2.71 everything went fine. Downgraded to 1.50 everything went fine. In between each downgrade I formatted the card. When I started the 3.40OE-A install it was with a 1.50 formatted Sandisk 1 gig gaming card I have used many times before to convert PSP's. I'm not new to these processes and I did everything to the tee. The 3.40OE-A DXAR file was created and checked out fine by its program. I moved the DXAR to the firmware installer and started. I saw the finish line in sight then the screen went black. :confused1: I tried to go into recovery mode, but the flashing never got that far. I believe it is bricked and I have a pissed off friend. Is there any hope. When I turn on the PSP the MS access light flickers and the backlight appears to come on then nothing. During all of the process, I had the external power connected. I'm am very confused why this happened.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
OK, I'm really pissed off right now. A friend of mine finally bought a PSP and I was installing 3.40 OE-A onto it. During the flash process the screen went black. I thought, oh the screen turned off. I hit a shoulder button and nothing. I now have a PSP that will not turn on and only will turn off if I hold the power switch up for a long time.

Here's the process I went through. The PSP was an "I" with 2.60. I upgraded it to 2.71 everything went fine. Downgraded to 1.50 everything went fine. In between each downgrade I formatted the card. When I started the 3.40OE-A install it was with a 1.50 formatted Sandisk 1 gig gaming card I have used many times before to convert PSP's. I'm not new to these processes and I did everything to the tee. The 3.40OE-A DXAR file was created and checked out fine by its program. I moved the DXAR to the firmware installer and started. I saw the finish line in sight then the screen went black. :confused1: I tried to go into recovery mode, but the flashing never got that far. I believe it is bricked and I have a pissed off friend. Is there any hope. When I turn on the PSP the MS access light flickers and the backlight appears to come on then nothing. During all of the process, I had the external power connected. I'm am very confused why this happened.

If you can't access recovery (make sure you're holding R for at least 10 secs) then it is bricked. Even if you follow all the steps correctly, there's still a small chance that it may brick due to a hardware problem. :sad:

Fred Smith

Thanks for the reply. Nope unable to get to recovery mode. I even put the recovery folder on the MS just in case the MS access during initial turn on looked for this directory. I guess since the flash failed for some reason, there isn't enough of the firmware installed to do anything. Hopefully my friend can returned his PSP as an out of box failure and get another. I don't think he will let me touch it the new one though.

Oh well, thanks again.

delay1425

I need some help if possible.

I'm new to this, so please be easy on me. I'm in the process up installing 3.40 OE-A, and my screen had been stuck on "Extracting and packing 3.40 firmware..." for over 30 minutes. Did I do something wrong? What can I do to fix this problem?

Thanks.