• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Conficker worm: D-day April 1st

Cryox

Bro.
It queries different places to get the actual time, it doesn't pull it from the system clock.

you guys still arguing about the time? i think Beefy already figured it out haha

Sullivan

I saw this on the news today lol

5 bucks says it's a simple come and go type of thing

It may be.

But what a lot of people don't see, and what I didn't see at first. This isn't just something that might come april 1st, its already out there, and has been for the past 5 months, april first is just the rumor that its going to go big.

Pokemanz master

Lowering your IQ
If you're up to date with Windows Update, you're OK.

However, how many people ACTUALLY keep Windows Update updated?
How to do I update?I never really tried to update
Windows xp service pack2
On another note I thought this was fake, I heard it from few my friends.
Hmm...... odd. How did they even find out the information? What well they use for bots? I can't even start how useless that would be. As of now theres nothing to gain from it.
@guy above me you just added more to worry about

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
Lol, a botnet. Yahoo! made it sound like it was a nuclear bomb.

But I don't care nonetheless, I don't use windows regularly, and I suppose I have an incentive to not boot into it(Assuming that it is real). Not that it's harmful, but that my upload bandwidth allowance is next to nothing.

Pokemanz master

Lowering your IQ
hmm.......any word yet if MS gonna give a update?

How to do I update?I never really tried to update
[HIGHLIGHT]Windows xp service pack2[/HIGHLIGHT]
On another note I thought this was fake, I heard it from few my friends.
Hmm...... odd. How did they even find out the information? What well they use for bots? I can't even start how useless that would be. As of now theres nothing to gain from it.
@guy above me you just added more to worry about

You may want to at least update to Service Pack 3. It should automatically update, unless you explicitly disabled it in the control panel though.

Whisper

Logic :(
I guess torrenting is a bad idea for the time being. Is that a possible way it could spread?

Pokemanz master

Lowering your IQ
You may want to at least update to Service Pack 3. It should automatically update, unless you explicitly disabled it in the control panel though.

Yea...I did that when my computer 1st restarted.:p
How would I go by turning it back on?
r-edited
@Whisper
Yea, its best lay off on any torrent downloading since files can be infected.

Pokemanz master

Lowering your IQ
If no one cannot get online on the day before or following days you can use your iphone,ipod touch,psp or whatever has internet.
Im plain on staying disconnected for few days.

Hanzo_f19

[insert custom user title here]
I'll simply use the PS3's broswer and if you guys get infected I wont turn my PC on :p

LocutusEstBorg

A simple Windows exploit + open ports is all that is needed to nuke someone's PC remotely. If they haven't updated Windows past SP2, then there are at least 3 publicly known exploits that can run a remote executable with simply the target's IP (provided the necessary ports are open on the modem).

The last RCE exploit found a few months ago is perfect for LAN hacking as it exploits the Server Service on port 445 which is usually open for LAN subnet's atleast on most software firewalls. Useful in college, as the POC code sample allows you to run anything from command prompt.

net user administrator pass

Comp is yours.

Proxin

I think it's odd that they somehow know it will do *something* on April 1st. But they also give off the impression that they know next to nothing about it. Looks like a big advertisement for antivirus, but it never is bad to be cautious anyhow.

Any word on if it affects Windows 7?

Cryox

Bro.
Does my Vista Home Premium SP1 need any upgrades to help fend off this virus? or am i fine with that?