• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Conficker worm: D-day April 1st

Whisper

Logic :(

Adiuvo

Seeing as this is the first time I heard about it, I'm not really sure what I'll do. Avast hasn't detected anything, and I've had it running for awhile, so I'll probably be fine.

Whisper

Well I'm not saying this is computer doomsday. I'm just shocked that they would give a go date. Pretty cocky. If I were them I would say April 1st but release it on March 31st.

Sullivan

Ehh, this is funny, not going to happen. I might stick with whisper and disconnect, but you might be infected already, and have a ticking time bomb, lol.

Sullivan

So no matter what if you are already infected, your computer is screwed?

I don't think so, I am not totally sure though.

If you are really worried, take out the hard drive lol.

Whisper

I don't think so, I am not totally sure though.

If you are really worried, take out the hard drive lol.

The info is so vague right now who can tell. I guess you can forward your computer date to April 1st to see if anything happens.

Sullivan

lol, no not trying, I will visit on my ipod.

Quoted from someone from Overclock.net:

I work in online security...It doesn't matter whether you're running a mac, linux, windows, etc...the point of this worm isn't to take down your computer, but rather to use this group of botnets to do other malicious things. For example, 14 million requests (the approximate number of infected machines) on the same website at a given time could take down just about any website. Another potential use is to make login attempts and gather passwords that can be distributed on the black market. Bottom line: no matter what OS you use, if you use the internet, you could be potentially affected by this...that's why it's so scary -- nobody knows what the creators want to use this for (take down some websites, garner passwords or SSN's, etc.)

Sullivan

I don't know, I am going to tell my computer teacher tomorrow, hes the biggest geek/nerd ever, but extremely smart and cool at the same time, I will see what he says.

lol @ Microsofts offer of 250k, who ever is going to do this, is going to make far more then 250k.

Sullivan

I thought it was too, till I read around, and got some other peoples input, seems like there might be a huge hoax, or a mass botnet.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
All these virus scares come and go, and I'm never affected. So can't say I'm worried about this. As long as your machine is properly secured, it's unlikely you'll get infected.

Cryox

Bro.
...All the Worm needs is a few hundred domains, and a quick download of new code to the infected systems. It is this new code, and the concern of what it will do, that bothers most security experts the most.
That part makes me think that it will download a small program that will flash a picture that says April Fools!!!
lol

anyone get the same thought from that part of the article?