• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PSN Sony Rebuilding PSN, Still No ETA On When Service Will Resume

lucifer

I only play sport games , so PSN is the only reason that warrants a PS3 purchase in the first place. Anyone who plays sport games knows that playing the computer is about as fun as banging your head off your kitchen faucet repeatedly. " c'mon man , there's no way CPU controlled New Mexico knew I was going to throw a quick out with Ohio State "

Dan

Contributor
A source with close connections to Sony Computer Entertainment Europe reports that the attack to the PlayStation Network may be a bit deeper than originally reported by Sony. According to the source, who wishes to remain anonymous, the PSN sustained a LOIC attack (which created a denial-of-service attack) that damaged the server. There was also a concentrated attack on the PlayStation servers holding account information. In addition,

NeilR

eXo Admin
Enforcer Team
Not surprising that it's deeper than Sony is leading on. It's not for nothing that they would take down the whole network store and all; they must be losing a ton of money.

Xzanth22

Why does everyone keep saying that psn is free..... Um last time I checked I was just forking out the 60 to get early demo and beta releases. It's free to use their server, to play online. I also just checked. Yep dc universe costs money. That movie I just watched.... Yep forked money out for that. That map pack. Yeah, just paid for that. It's not free. I don't think there is a single person out there who can connect to psn without paying their ISP. Netflix, qriocity, all that. But if they want to hook us up they will. And I truly think they will make this up to us. Especially the timing of the new releases. We'll be up soon. We just don't pay an extra 60 a year to do the same thing as 360. I'm thinking this is gonna happen again when they release ffxiv for ps3. But yeah, ps3 users, chill. They will be back soon, and we'll get something for our inconvenience. Don't expect much. Hackers didn't attack you. They attacked Sony. I mean they could have left the psn up and watched your accounts be hacked to shreds. But they didn't. And 360 users, stfu cause it's boring to hear how you think 360 is better. We all know it's not.

Robby

Los Doyers!
Sony just been having bad luck lately.

El Diablo

No one is forcing you to pay for PSN+, you choose to. PSN itself is free, PSN+ is a paid service that is not the same.

TBH I find it hard to believe that it's as big of a deal as Sony is trying to make it out to be.

It looks more like, people DDOS'd Sony servers and took them down for a day. People found a way to connect to PSN using some settings that only admins were supposed to access and were able to download things for free from the store. A CFW came out allowing people to get on PSN with a hacked ps3. Sony blames Anon and "attacks" for their poor security and loopholes people were able to bypass to take the blame off them and make people hate everyone else for them having to recode PSN because they didn't do it right the first time.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
All I can say is "ouch". I hardly ever use my PS3 for gaming, and even then hardly ever go online (mainly because I wanted to remain at an exploitable firmware). I really don't pirate nor see a reason to pirate PS3 games so I might as well update, although still would need games to play. While it does come at a bad time, with Portal 2 being released last week, the timing isn't as bad as Xbox Live's incident a while back. While Microsoft gave everyone a free arcade game, I don't foresee PlayStation doing anything similar. It really depends on how long the outage will last. One week is reasonable. A month...well that's less reasonable. Even though it's a free service, as lucifer points out, it is still an advertised feature and one of the major selling points for some gamers. They are not obligated to give us anything, but it will be interesting to see if they do.

In a nutshell: It sucks. Shit happens. Read a book (I hate reading).

El Diablo

I understand peoples frustration, but otherOS was an advertised feature too. It's not uncommon for services to have to be taken offline to under go updates, games like WoW go down almost every tuesday for 5 hours, and if there's a patch coming out they are usually down for all of tuesday. If it's a big patch the servers can be down/buggy and unplayable for days after. For an online service that you don't have to pay for to access and play online for free, I don't think it's too unreasonable for people to have to wait a week. Especially when there were serious security flaws in their system, despite what anon might have done to them.

This is a good time for Sony to actually have to fix their problems instead of patching them up for as long as possible until it comes out again. Maybe with this change they won't be saving your credit card information to documents on your HDD that people could access with the right tools.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
A source with close connections to Sony Computer Entertainment Europe reports that the attack to the PlayStation Network may be a bit deeper than originally reported by Sony. According to the source, who wishes to remain anonymous, the PSN sustained a LOIC attack (which created a denial-of-service attack) that damaged the server. There was also a concentrated attack on the PlayStation servers holding account information. In addition,

january39

eXo Staff
They said it may take up to 2 days initially, now there's no ETA at all. I fear it might take another week at least, given they are rebuilding their entire infrastructure. Even with all the manpower Sony has, that's a tall order.

Agreed, its going to be a while :(

El Diablo

Sonys options:
2. Fuck it, and just assume that w/e happens was part of Anons previous lame DDOS attack on them and pretend they didn't have major flaws in their network and security.

:p

january39

eXo Staff
Sonys options:
2. Fuck it, and just assume that w/e happens was part of Anons previous lame DDOS attack on them and pretend they didn't have major flaws in their network and security.

:p

Lmao, o yes

Craig Fairfax

illuminati Vereran
Some people. When Sony doesn't want you hack their system they are evil. But when an advertized service goes down, people are all "Sony doesn't owe you anything."

mexistache009

I read an article saying that the network can be up and running in Japan as early as Monday and the United States and Europe the next day. Here it is, hope it helps....<a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2384214,00.asp">[www.pcmag.com]</a>

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Some people. When Sony doesn't want you hack their system they are evil. But when an advertized service goes down, people are all "Sony doesn't owe you anything."

I don't really care either way and this might come across wrong as I just woke up from a nap but I think those people don't mind so much as the machines providing the service are Sony's property and the machine you're playing the games on are your property. You don't get a say in how they use their machines and they shouldn't get a say in how you run yours. Does that kinda make sense? I'm gunna get a cup of tea.

On a separate note, I wonder how many mentions I would get if I tweeted that my ps3 worked with various hashtags added on :D