• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

New Xbox Experience Out Now!

Pokemanz master

Lowering your IQ
Joey said:
I hate to sound like a douche, but it's been stated a hundred times before that the blades only comeback as a replacement for the guide blade. There is no option. The new dashboard is mandatory, and if you want to navigate blades, you press the guide button.

Anyway, I just got into the NXE preview program (a whopping 4 days before release), and I freaking love it.

I was having problems with the old Xbox dash and guide freezing... A lot. It was sluggish, and just gave me a ton of problems. The NXE is WAY faster, and 10x more responsive.

The new dashboard, I'm pretty indifferent to. It's no better or worse than the old one, so there's not much to say. I thought I was gonna hate the way the panels disappear to the left, but it hasn't been a problem.

The avatars are also pretty cool. It's pretty much a throw away feature, but it's still pretty neat. Being able to take a picture of your avatar and use it as your gamerpic is a really nice touch as well.

Probably the best addition is Netflix streaming. I watched a little bit of the Office, which is one of the shows they're streaming in HD, and it's absolutely stunning. It rivals Blu-Ray in quality in my mind. Even non-HD movies look really good.

I'm not sure what to say about the install to HDD feature yet. From what I've heard, weather or not it actually enhances a game's performance is on a game to game basis, and I've only installed GOW2 so far, so I don't have much to say. For GOW2, it appears as though they're might be more pop-in than before, it's hard to tell. I imagine playing without the drive spinning is nice, but I didn't really get a chance to hear it in action, since I was listening to a podcast at the time.

Also, making the (almost) entire blade system available through the guide button what a great addition. Being able to manage my active downloads, or even browse the store with out having to quit out to the dashboard is awesome. This is something Sony added recently, and I like that Microsoft was so quick in adding it to their own system. It's never been more clear that Microsoft is a software company, and Sony is a hardware company. If Microsoft would have added this feature first, it would have taken Sony at least a year to implement it into the XMB.

Overall, I'm defintely impressed with the NXE. Can't say there's any real faults that I can find.
thanks for the review, im am hype for tomorrow now.xD
Im going be happy with the new update:3

Edit- xbox did maintenance last night on there webpage they're getting ready for the update if you click someone profile it shows an avatar.*its shadow since it now out yet*

twelve

I'm not dead
Joey said:
It's better than nothing, fukar...
I agree. I'd love to get it early. I installed the leaked version knowing that I wouldn't be able to get online. If I had known there would be a Banjo Kazooie demo coming I wouldn't have bothered, I've been dying to try it out.

Pokemanz master

Lowering your IQ
twelve said:
I agree. I'd love to get it early. I installed the leaked version knowing that I wouldn't be able to get online. If I had known there would be a Banjo Kazooie demo coming I wouldn't have bothered, I've been dying to try it out.
Trust me, I rather take the NXE over an demo im just scared installed the leaked version plus its only one more day left.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Well I was one of those who applied for early access but never got it in the first 3 tries, got in this time however (just one day early) and have Live - yah! I'm disappointed by the lack of options for the avatars though

Pokemanz master

Lowering your IQ
im guessing the official update time is tomorrow at midnight?

Freshmilk

is Over 9000
I'm lost. People're saying the update is out now, but I didn't get anything. I suppose it's only for the people who had the preview or something like that?

twelve

I'm not dead
Freshmilk said:
I'm lost. People're saying the update is out now, but I didn't get anything. I suppose it's only for the people who had the preview or something like that?
It's out for everyone that applied to the preview program. If you didn't apply then you get it 2moro.

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
I'm looking forward to the faster load times and multi person private chat.
I don't care about Mii, or should I say avatars. I mean come on, what's next, they'll make games that feature them? 360 Sports?

Pokemanz master

Lowering your IQ
El Xando said:
I'm looking forward to the faster load times and multi person private chat.
I don't care about Mii, or should I say avatars. I mean come on, what's next, they'll make games that feature them? 360 Sports?
yea... I remembered reading somewhere there going do something like that.
And put avatar into games, redo games to put them in uno and stuff like that.

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
To be fair, I would love to play Halo with the ability to play as an Avatar I had designed to look like myself...
But it's still BLATANT copying.

twelve

I'm not dead
El Xando said:
To be fair, I would love to play Halo with the ability to play as an Avatar I had designed to look like myself...
But it's still BLATANT copying.
The whole thing's a rip off. Instead of blades which were unique they've created a system which is an XMB rotated 90 degrees counter-clockwise.

Pokemanz master

Lowering your IQ
twelve said:
The whole thing's a rip off. Instead of blades which were unique they've created a system which is an XMB rotated 90 degrees counter-clockwise.
this is something I agree on, I wish they keep the blades.... nothing was wrong with them it didn't need to be fix.
@El Xando
Lol, my avatar running around in a 3D halo world now thats something I pay for.
Just wish MS can make something original...

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Twelve - this is far from a rip-off of the XMB, anyone that says so needs to get off the whole "MS copied X" bandwagon. It annoys me to hear people say Microsoft copied Sony's XMB or that they copied the Miis (although I'll agree on the Mii part). Rare said they were working on an avatar system before the Miis however we'll never know for certain where that inspiration came from in the end so let's not talk about X copying Y

Pokemanz master

Lowering your IQ
FrozenIpaq said:
Twelve - this is far from a rip-off of the XMB, anyone that says so needs to get off the whole "MS copied X" bandwagon. It annoys me to hear people say Microsoft copied Sony's XMB or that they copied the Miis (although I'll agree on the Mii part). Rare said they were working on an avatar system before the Miis however we'll never know for certain where that inspiration came from in the end so let's not talk about X copying Y
alright, I won't say nothing about copying...
Anyway each system copy each other little in each way. Also I think this avatar system is better then "Miis" just because its little bit more real.
If you look at few videos of it, really look like that lady.*cartoon version*

twelve

I'm not dead
FrozenIpaq said:
Am I not entitled to an opinion?

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Pokemanz master said:
alright, I won't say nothing about copying...
Anyway each system copy each other little in each way. Also I think this avatar system is better then "Miis" just because its little bit more real.
If you look at few videos of it, really look like that lady.*cartoon version*

The reason why I'm saying it's not copying the XMB is simple, it's a 3D version of Microsoft's Media Center UI and the only relation between the NXE and XMB is how you have large categories which are divided into smaller ones in a row/column - that's it, and that is exactly what Media Center has (and no, Media Center did not copy the XMB) I really do not see ANY relation between the XMB and NXE when you consider the MC interface

twelve

I'm not dead
FrozenIpaq said:
The reason why I'm saying it's not copying the XMB is simple, it's a 3D version of Microsoft's Media Center UI and the only relation between the NXE and XMB is how you have large categories which are divided into smaller ones in a row/column - that's it, and that is exactly what Media Center has (and no, Media Center did not copy the XMB) I really do not see ANY relation between the XMB and NXE when you consider the MC interface
Actually it's been said before that Vista MCE was a rip off of the XMB. And if you don't/can't respect my opinion on that then perhaps you'll respect Nevada's because he was the one who said it.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
twelve said:
Actually it's been said before that Vista MCE was a rip off of the XMB. And if you don't/can't respect my opinion on that then perhaps you'll respect Nevada's because he was the one who said it.

Windows Media Center was released in 2002....