• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Your Favorite Controller

Adiuvo

DS3. I play alot of fighting games, so the dpad is pretty much the only reason why I like it.

Hardrive

Contributor
I prefer the 360 controller, for a few reasons. First off, the joystick placement is better. The left stick is up further on the controller, so my thumbs aren't cramped towards me like on the PS controllers. Yes, I do realize that the right joystick is on the bottom, but not all games use the right joystick. The feel is just... right. Secondly, I don't like the PS3 joysticks for FPS games. I don't know if it's just me, but I feel a lot more inaccurate when using a PS3 controller. It's like the crosshair has some weird acceleration that I'm not in control of. Warhawk is especially bad, I actually had to turn down the sensitivity (on the 360 I usually max it out). I do, however, prefer the PS dpad, simply because direction press results in one directions press (unlike on the 360 when it is unknown what direction will register).

[/rant]

Slasher

Suck It
I wouldn't have minded trying out what the original PS3 controllers were supposed to look like:
3060000000053666.GIF

As it is right now though, I guess I prefer the DS3 controller more than the 360 controller mostly because I actually own a ps3. I'm more used to a playstation controller, so on the rare occasion that I play a 360 it's annoying trying to re-learn what I'm already used too. I'm sure if I had a 360, I'd be saying the opposite thing.

Sousanator

Shockingly Delicious
I think I'm the only one who loved the Dreamcast controller, it was just so nice and heavy.

The Dreamcast controller is nice, but it lacks a second analog and L1/R1 buttons so you can't really compare it with the 360 and PS3 controllers. I did like the little LCD memory card you can stick in there though.

The 360 controller feels ergonomic and nice, but it needs some Playstation features. I don't like the non-symmetry of the analog stick (like the PS3 has), and of course the DPAD is horrible.

So the perfect controller would be a 360 controller, with a Dualshock DPAD, and the Analog stick switched places with the DPAD.

But as it stands for existing controllers, I guess the 360 controller would be my favorite, as long as I'm not playing a fighter.

Craig Fairfax

illuminati Vereran
I like the 360 controller the most, (the wired one being my fave) but Like previously said I hate the mad catz inspired d-pad.

Followed by the Dual shock 2. Near perfect design, but I don't like the analog sticks being right next to each other.

My least favourites are the original xbox controller and the (rocket ship) Dreamcast controller.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
I dont know why I like the analog stick non symmetry, but it works great for me.

I agree. It makes this much better for aiming. I also like how solidly constructed it is compared to the DS3. You have to hold that controller like it's an egg, at least I do, and you can manhandle the 360's.

You can mash the analogs all over the place on the 360, but on the DS3, I always wind up clicking the right analog and knifing the air when I want to be moving the crosshairs to shoot someone.

Tommi

Am I the only one who notices that the xbox gamepads were based on the dreamcast gamepad??

The Dreamcast gamepad just felt right in my hands.

Joey

Am I the only one who notices that the xbox gamepads were based on the dreamcast gamepad??

The Dreamcast gamepad just felt right in my hands.

The Dreamcast was basically the Xbox Jr., what with Peter Moore being the main man behind it, and it running Windows CE.

Microsoft certainly used it as a launching point (IE, making such a hard push for Online service).

Colm

In order of preference:

Keyboard\Mouse
360 (good design, but wtf with that d-pad?)
DualShock 3 (great, but wtf with triggers?)
DualShock 2 (shape of 360 controller + DS2 buttons, 360 triggers + wireless + SIXAXIS (if anyone uses it lol) = perfect controller but not quite as good as PC)
Wiimote (good concept, badly used)

Haven't tried, but WANT:
Logitech Gaming Keyboards\Mice
PS3 'Boomerang' Controllers (they just look right. there's some chinese knockoffs in that style)

user friendly

I really like the 360's but I love the DS3. For some reason I just find the layout perfect and the triggers have never given me any grief. I've noticed some people hold it with their palms but I hold it more with my fingers. I still prefer the symmetry of the analogs too.