• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

iPhone/iPod Touch General Discussion

-chw42-

Like a Boss
Two groups working on something is better than one group working on it.

Chronic actually found the Arm_7 exploit a while ago. But he didn't know how to use it. The dev team did and there's your difference. Chronic isn't a dumbass and we shouldn't conceive him that way. Most people don't know that he actually found the exploit redsn0w uses as well.

Whisper

Logic :(
Two groups working on something is better than one group working on it.

Chronic actually found the Arm_7 exploit a while ago. But he didn't know how to use it. The dev team did and there's your difference. Chronic isn't a dumbass and we shouldn't conceive him that way. Most people don't know that he actually found the exploit redsn0w uses as well.

They (Iphone-devs, Chronic) are both great dev's. Not to mention very respectful of each others progress.

On topic: Who do you think will figure an untethered exploit first?

Vee

I wonder why Apple locked up the iPod THAT good.... while failing on doing that on the iPhone 3G.

IMHO the iPhone should have more protection than the iPod.... why protect it at all, c'mon, let ppl do what they want, it's not like there'll be business killing ISOs floating around like on gaming consoles....

I'm guessing someone hasn't told you that you can pirate anything off the App Store, right?

There are business killing ISO's (.ipa's) floating around. If they let people do whatever they wanted, you can pretty much guarentee they'd start losing money and pissing people off.

Sullivan

On topic: Who do you think will figure an untethered exploit first?

I think the iphone dev team will figure it out first, just being as right now they have a head start looking at the bootrom and that they have a little more experience. But I am up for both, I don't really hate or like one another more then the other, both great teams.

-chw42-

Like a Boss
My iPod just broke. It won't turn on. :(

Hopefully, I can get a replacement when I go to the Apple store on Tuesday.

Hellcat

Contributor
I'm guessing someone hasn't told you that you can pirate anything off the App Store, right?
Yes, I know about it and how it works.
And the "security" they put in there is even worse then the one on the PSP :D

They just should work out a good security system for the AppStore stuff.

Meh, I just hope there's a JailBreak for the iTouch 2G soon :cool:

eighty4

There already is a good system, and if the guys behind it make it public none of the methods to crack apps will work. Even if you run Patchulous.

-chw42-

Like a Boss
How did it break?? Does it connect to itunes?

This one was my fault. I got too much water in it while I was installing the InvisibleSHIELD. I thought I turned the device off but it was actually on somehow. Speakers went to waste first, then the screen had a dark spot on it, then it just wouldn't turn on anymore. I'm going to the Apple store on Tuesday to see if I can get a new one.

Additional Comment:
Oh BTW. MuscleNerd's latest comments are somewhat disappointing. They still haven't found anything great in the bootrom and might have to go with a hardware solution, which would be buying a little 30-pin connector SD card-like thingy and using that everytime you need to reboot and repatch the kernel. He said it might cost around $30. They're not giving up yet, but it's looking a bit dim.

Painfully, it seems. I'm looking at mine now, and it doesn't look very hardmod-friendly. At least the iPhone had some screws down the bottom for replacing the battery. I still think a softmod is on the way, the devteam are a skilled team, and the 2G isn't very developed, security-wise. There's bound to be other ways in.

-chw42-

Like a Boss
You won't need to open it. It's probably going to be like a DS flash cartridge.

Mister Chief

You must've not heard the news that the new jailbreak will probably be a hardware mod. Not yet has any iPhone hardware been as easy as plug and play.

I have heard the news.

You obviously haven't.

I suspect (just a personal opinion, not based on any inside knowledge whatsoever) that somebody somewhere is putting together a small serial dongle that is a sort of compromise between a tethered and untethered redsn0w (it's been talked about on here before too). It would be a small device that you'd carry with you and connect to your ipt2g's dock connector if you need to reboot. Better than needing to carry a laptop with you, but less elegant than a low-level bootrom exploit (which probably doesn't matter to most people).

Whisper

Logic :(
I believe they mean the computer patch will still work but if you want to reboot away from a computer you can make a portable device. It is for those without a computer also...

eighty4

The small device is onyl going to be used to reboot and jailbreak like that. The inital jailbreak itself will need you to open it.

Mister Chief

The small device is onyl going to be used to reboot and jailbreak like that. The inital jailbreak itself will need you to open it.

You have no idea what you are talking about.

Have you been following any of the progress because if you had been you would know that you are talking rubbish.

You would flash your iPod with a jailbroken kernel. This would cause the iPod to become unbootable due to signature checks in the bootrom and LLB. But once you had flashed this kernel you could connect our iPod to your PC or another device via the dock connector and apply a RAM patch to iboot which would allow the jailbroken kernel to load as long as the iPod wasn't turned off. If it was to be turned off it would refuse to boot until the patch was reapplied via a PC/hardware device or until the iPod was restored.

eighty4

You have no idea what you are talking about.

Have you been following any of the progress because if you had been you would know that you are talking rubbish.

I've been following iDT since Geohot was considered the coolest kid ever. I definetly know exactly how this is going to work. :)