• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Pandora's Box Easier-Installer

XsavioR

Well perhaps I was bored so I made an installer for the Pandora's Battery.
Its a bit of a pain to set up , This should help some people. It requires Windows XP.

Download the .rar
Unzip with winrar
Run the setup (this part must be unzipped to c:\)
Double click the Shortcut to Pandora's Box
Click the second button to launch the installer

Faq isnt in yet due to thinking its simple enough not to need one.

Beware dont go converting your only battery, Once its converted, and you hard boot you will need to get a "normal" battery to start your psp .

Picture:
pandorabox preview.jpg

All credit for Pandora's Battery, go to Team C+D. Thanks for the most usefull app.

If you folks find this as useful as I did Make a donation to the Developers who created it. You can do so at the link below.
http://tinyurl.com/27294u

Thanks for reading , Enjoy!
XsavioR

Chilly Willy

Contributor
Seems to work just peachy. Only one caveat - in the requirements dialog, it says you need a 32 MB or larger memory stick. It SHOULD say you need any size Pro Duo memory stick less than 8 GB. Most 32 MB sticks are Duo, not Pro Duo, and therefore won't work. Also, 8 GB sticks cannot be used either as Pandora's Battery IPL uses 1.50 firmware derived libs, and 1.50 didn't support 8 GB sticks.

XsavioR

BAh wonder why my stick is reading

Size 14.8 MB
Size on disk 16.2 MB

And thats with the bin's still left there. But As long as the info is here (and at the top) No worries. Sorry for the "typo" by my stats its accurate. I will try it on a 32 MB PRO duo tomorrow and see what I get.

jedsteroo

what if i managed to do everything to my 32MB DUO ms and it was a success while following the steps made by x3sphere? will it still work if i put it into a bricked psp?

Chilly Willy

Contributor
what if i managed to do everything to my 32MB DUO ms and it was a success while following the steps made by x3sphere? will it still work if i put it into a bricked psp?

Who knows? I know Duo sticks aren't supposed to work, but nothing is ever absolute. The point is you should try to use stuff that is KNOWN to work to avoid potential trouble later. Use a Pro Duo stick instead of Duo. Use a Sony battery instead of something off eBay. Maybe you can "get by" with cheaper non-brand stuff, but we're talking about rescuing your brick PSP here. No need to skimp THAT much. :wink:

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor

I don't think it will work... the readme states that only Pro DUO sticks will work. As far as I know, the 32MB bundled in the value pack is only a Duo.

Updated the FAQ with this bit of information too.

jedsteroo

Step 22: Type "msinst X msipl.bin" where X is the drive of your PSP. Do not include the colon. For example, my PSP is connected at O:, so I type "msinst O msipl.bin".

You should see a prompt like this. I guarantee that your stuff will be slightly different; it depends on how your computer is set up, what sort of memory stick you have, and so on. As long as you get the "Are You Sure? [Y]" prompt, you know that the msipl.bin file is OK.

>>> C:\psp\pandora\msinst>msinst O msipl.bin
>>> PSP MS IPL Installer
>>> Load IPL code msipl.bin
>>> 241664 bytes(59 block) readed
>>>
>>> Target DRIVE is 7
>>> Check partation Sector
>>> boot status 0x80
>>> start head 0x05
>>> start sec/cyl 0x0004
>>> partation type 0x06
>>> last head 0x0F
>>> last sec/cyl 0xB7E0
>>> abs sector 0x00000810
>>> ttl sector 0x000767F0
>>> signature 0xAA55
>>> Check BPB Sector
>>> signature AA55
>>> Check free reserved sector:OK
>>> Write ABS Sector 0x10 to 0x1E7
>>> Are You Sure ?[Y]

Type 'y'.

>>> y

and you should see

>>> Write MS BOOT CODE

That means that you now have a "magic" memory stick.

You're all set!

therfore it doesn't matter if you saw this bit of info while installing the msipl.bin onto the memory stick 32MB DUO it still won't work? has anyone tried it?

can this Pandora's Battery downgrade any custom firmware to the firmware 1.50 and one more thing, what are the steps to downgrade any unbricked version psp set with eg: firmware 3.50 or even higher? *originally, only lumines can downgrade version 3.50*

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
therfore it doesn't matter if you saw this bit of info while installing the msipl.bin onto the memory stick 32MB DUO it still won't work? has anyone tried it?

can this Pandora's Battery downgrade any custom firmware to the firmware 1.50 and one more thing, what are the steps to downgrade any unbricked version psp set with eg: firmware 3.50 or even higher? *originally, only lumines can downgrade version 3.50*

Yeah it can downgrade 3.50 and higher. Taken from the bottom of the FAQ (these steps apply for both downgrading and unbricking):

1. With a working PSP or memory stick reader, copy the firmware 1.50 update file into the root of the "magic" memory stick, namd UPDATE.PBP, just like in step 15 above.
2. Insert the "magic" memory stick.
3. Insert the unbricker battery. Your wifi, memory stick, and power lights should all turn on temporarily, and a menu should appear.
4. Press X. After it checks the update file, you should get another menu.
5. Press X to write Firmware 1.50 onto the PSP.

As for the 32MB stick, once again the readme states it will only work with PRO DUO and not DUO sticks. So you're taking a gamble there. Haven't tested using a 32MB stick myself though.

jedsteroo

AcerThief: oooo better don't play with a 32mb DUO then, i don't wanna self-brick or inflict bricking to others. thanks! :)

x3sphere: Works for custom firmware too?

another qns, can we use our "magic stick" as a normal one too meaning it is being formatted and installed with the msipl.bin file to unbrick bricked psp sets as well as putting in our games to play our ISOs/CSOs while not using it for unbricking or is the magic stick strictly for unbricking only?

Acerthief

AcerThief: oooo better don't play with a 32mb DUO then, i don't wanna self-brick or inflict bricking to others. thanks! :)

x3sphere: Works for custom firmware too?

another qns, can we use our "magic stick" as a normal one too meaning it is being formatted and installed with the msipl.bin file to unbrick bricked psp sets as well as putting in our games to play our ISOs/CSOs while not using it for unbricking or is the magic stick strictly for unbricking only?

lol i have a 64mb PRO duo for backup, dont worry lol.

yes this works for customfirmwares too if you bricked.

and yes you can still play ISO/CSO on the mem stick as the mspformat.exe only logically formats a space that it needs.

jedsteroo

therefore this means you can't downgrade psp sets that are actually working with custom firmwares (not bricked) to 1.50?

supaquickt

I always like easy, cause I'm a lazy person. I've already got a pandora battery and stick but I'm creating a few more for some people who don't have a custom PSP. So I'll try this out for that. Although I don't really think the guide is hard to follow, but hey the more help the better. So big ups to XsavioR, let you know how it goes.

nhlan7

Pandora Battery

Step 22: Type "msinst X msipl.bin" where X is the drive of your PSP. Do not include the colon. For example, my PSP is connected at O:, so I type "msinst O msipl.bin".

You should see a prompt like this. I guarantee that your stuff will be slightly different; it depends on how your computer is set up, what sort of memory stick you have, and so on. As long as you get the "Are You Sure? [Y]" prompt, you know that the msipl.bin file is OK.

>>> C:\psp\pandora\msinst>msinst O msipl.bin
>>> PSP MS IPL Installer
>>> Load IPL code msipl.bin
>>> 241664 bytes(59 block) readed
>>>
>>> Target DRIVE is 7
>>> Check partation Sector
>>> boot status 0x80
>>> start head 0x05
>>> start sec/cyl 0x0004
>>> partation type 0x06
>>> last head 0x0F
>>> last sec/cyl 0xB7E0
>>> abs sector 0x00000810
>>> ttl sector 0x000767F0
>>> signature 0xAA55
>>> Check BPB Sector
>>> signature AA55
>>> Check free reserved sector:OK
>>> Write ABS Sector 0x10 to 0x1E7
>>> Are You Sure ?[Y]

Type 'y'.

>>> y

and you should see

>>> Write MS BOOT CODE

That means that you now have a "magic" memory stick.

You're all set!

Hi,

I did all the way to the point where my windows dos shell says:
>>> Write MS BOOT CODE

and quickly disappear by itself, is it normal and suppose to be that way? So I though I was success for making Pandora but when I stuck the memstick + Battery into my friend PSP with 3.50 sony official firmware and it didn't do anything the PSP just boot up as normal. Please help me out, thanks.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Hi,

I did all the way to the point where my windows dos shell says:
>>> Write MS BOOT CODE

and quickly disappear by itself, is it normal and suppose to be that way? So I though I was success for making Pandora but when I stuck the memstick + Battery into my friend PSP with 3.50 sony official firmware and it didn't do anything the PSP just boot up as normal. Please help me out, thanks.

It's a problem with the battery then. Did you run the battery application on your PSP?

nhlan7

It's known good battery and I have been using this until the day that I tried to convert to Pandora. I used both 3.40 OE and 3.52 M33-4 to make Pandora but none of this was accomplished. I like to comfirm from you that at the step " >>> Write MS BOOT CODE " the windows dos shell disappear or stay unless you're manual close it.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
It's known good battery and I have been using this until the day that I tried to convert to Pandora. I used both 3.40 OE and 3.52 M33-4 to make Pandora but none of this was accomplished. I like to comfirm from you that at the step " >>> Write MS BOOT CODE " the windows dos shell disappear or stay unless you're manual close it.

Yeah... that's ok. But the thing is: did you run the "battery" application from the Game menu on your PSP? This is what converts the battery to Pandora.

XsavioR

Thanks exo , pc is having overheating issues, Couldnt get it to stay running

It sounds like you missed a step somewhere. Perhaps try running the easy installer. Be sure to read the prompts, and do as it says.

It sounds like you:
a. have a battery with NON-writable eeprom,
b. forgot to create the battery using Pandoras battery creator, run from the psp.

This kinda thing was the purpose for the easy installer. try running it. You will be prompted to read the results and verify them b4 continuing