• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

4.00 CFW To Feature In-XMB Recovery, Savestate Functionality

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
psplogo4.jpg

For those eagerly awaiting a 4.00 based custom firmware, homebrew developer Mathieulh has shed light on two features planned for Dark_AleX's next major CFW release on PSP.

The first is an in-XMB recovery mode, which will allow settings to be modified straight from within the PSP's main menu screen. Second is the inclusion of savestate support. Users will be able to save their progress at any given time while playing a UMD title, restart the game, and then load up the respective save to resume play from where they left off. It has not yet been decided if the savestate feature will be directly integrated in the firmware or released as an add-on plugin, however.

akadewboy

<p>WOW, savestate support! That's AMAZING! But what about pops? Are we going to be able to use Savestates in PSX games?</p>

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
@akadewboy: No, as far as I know the savestate function will only be for UMD titles initially.

mackman6151

<p>NICE!...only concern is would that mean that you'd only be able to load that savestate from that particular psp or can u also save the savestate onto the mem stick like current savegames (and then transfer them around).....if u can do that its gonna kick some major ASS yo!</p>

icedman204

<p>Now this is an update compared to that of "SONY's official firmware" Great job DAX can't wait to see the end results.</p>

frosty5689

Stupidity to the MAX
The only thing I'm wondering about is how flexible the save states can become.(In a lot of the emulator's savestates you can load a savestate of a Game from a diffrent region code and be able to make a game save for another diffrent region code: aka. Game Save regional transfer technique).

MikeBeaver

Wow, seems like things are really coming along in the homebrew world these days, not been about for a while and I come back to see that save states and xmb recovery are on their way, nice work peeps :)

Mike..

Chilly Willy

Contributor
Yup.
(Backed up? well I guess it's just another way to say "I use warez and fuck the stupid law")

Not with many people. Every ISO I have is a game I own (not even rented) that I dumped personally on my own PSP. Yes, there is quite a bit of piracy on the PSP, but it's not any worse than any other platform, and better than some.

Ditto for my PSX EBOOTs - every one of them was dumped from my own discs using my own python script I wrote back when a bunch of us were still working out how to get CDDA in PSX games in popstation.

I take decent care of my discs, but I've still got a few (PSX mostly) that aren't readable anymore. No matter how good the media, it'll eventually go bad... or the drive will. Having an electronic copy of my games means I don't have to worry about either. And playing legal backups instead of the original UMD means my UMD drive will last that much longer due to lowered wear-and-tear.

skparasite

<p>This is pretty awesome. :)</p>
<p>Savestate support so great because my PSP's sleep mode is broken and sometimes it doesn't wake up.</p>