• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.
  • If your profile is showing up as Not Ranked, please review our rules page and follow the appeal process detailed there.

[change?] What I hate about MFM. (go on, post your mind)

A_Nub

Developer
Ok, well I am sure I could sit down and make a list as long as I want, but here are some key things that I see, some are personal, others may not be.

1) Respect, seems that respect here is biased on nothing but, either admin/mod or they just like someone. A lot of the times I feel no respect from here.

2) I am guilty of this one sorta, but Activity, it seems quite low to be honest, also most of the activity is purely pointless. I am not sure what the overall goal of these forums are, but as far as I can see, they are mainly based around gossip, and bullshit stories/events. There is little good discussion here.

3)Developers, are far and few between and are very ignored.

4)MFM seems to have been spawned from a load of elitists from QJ, you may not think so, but wasn't the whole idea to be better than QJ? Yeah... elitist. Which adds the that respect problem I stated earlier.

5) People are hesitant/dont contribute often when people create community events, such as the photoshop, worm, pixel town, zombie paint. I mean some of them lasted a little while, but the contributers where a small select group.

6) Noobs, soooooo many unintelligent questions being asked. Heh, I know this can't be changed, but my god.

7) Hard to find new/unread posts. I know many many other forums have this, but I can't seem to find it here. So I would like a unread posts since last visit button/link.

These are just some small points, im sure if I wanted to type and bitch and moan more I could go on. But no one like walls of text. Please do contribute to this thread.

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
Just to hit on the respect thing. What do you expect from a forum? Hell, what do you expect from the internet? The internet is based around the idea of not needing to respect anyone or anything. To be looking for respect is like searching the internet for a spouse.

Besides, its earned not just given as we all know. Just because a person devs something, or makes music or is a part of the staff doesnt mean they require respect, or even have earned it.

Also, as far as the elitist thing goes, its to be expected when this community started from people over at QJ. Its unavoidable the not have ranks in that way. Veterans and people more well know have the ability to be more abusive and hostile and get away with it because they have been here or even before for so long, and then when you add alot of the same type of people with that, it becomes the normal.

IN reality, MFM is becoming a smaller community. More like a community that has been around each other for years and people who have just joined, there is no middle ground because of the lack of popularity from this site. And thats because MFM offers literally nothing than another site would. Not to mention, these days - sites like MFM are a dime a dozen.

Yea it sucks to see a failing community but thats the way the shit rolls after enough time passes. Ive seen it happen a dozen times with forum-based communities.

january39

eXo Staff
Hmmm, Not that i have a viewpoint either way, but surely moaning about noobs is being elitist in the first instance?

eldiablov

Contributor
4)MFM seems to have been spawned from a load of elitists from QJ

6) Noobs, soooooo many unintelligent questions being asked

Contradiction much.

What I hate about MFM is the stagnating, nothing seems to be going on at all.

Plus, the article approval process sucks, which is a point I've made many times.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Plus, the article approval process sucks, which is a point I've made many times.

Just put your article in the Game Section like I do and hope it gets some views... My last two big articles have been completely ignored by the general users because all everyone cares is PSP -.-

eldiablov

Contributor
My last two big articles have been completely ignored by the general users because all everyone cares is PSP -.-

Yes, that is also a problem. This forum's userbase is saturated with PSP users who only care about leeching off the site without putting anything into the community.

This is what leads to the "disrespect" seen and the division between old and new users.

Kezra, you are an example of a new user who settled in as you had the right attitude to begin with.

Scorned

Just to hit on the respect thing. What do you expect from a forum? Hell, what do you expect from the internet? The internet is based around the idea of not needing to respect anyone or anything. To be looking for respect is like searching the internet for a spouse.

Besides, its earned not just given as we all know. Just because a person devs something, or makes music or is a part of the staff doesnt mean they require respect, or even have earned it.

Also, as far as the elitist thing goes, its to be expected when this community started from people over at QJ. Its unavoidable the not have ranks in that way. Veterans and people more well know have the ability to be more abusive and hostile and get away with it because they have been here or even before for so long, and then when you add alot of the same type of people with that, it becomes the normal.

IN reality, MFM is becoming a smaller community. More like a community that has been around each other for years and people who have just joined, there is no middle ground because of the lack of popularity from this site. And thats because MFM offers literally nothing than another site would. Not to mention, these days - sites like MFM are a dime a dozen.

Yea it sucks to see a failing community but thats the way the shit rolls after enough time passes. Ive seen it happen a dozen times with forum-based communities.

I agree with most of Josey's biggest points. The respect thing is a problem throughout the internet, and in a community like this, it's easier to gain respect because it's so small, but it's also just as easy to garner disrespect.

And really, most of the problems you brought up is because we don't have a mass of users.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Yes, that is also a problem. This forum's userbase is saturated with PSP users who only care about leeching off the site without putting anything into the community.

This is what leads to the "disrespect" seen and the division between old and new users.

Kezra, you are an example of a new user who settled in as you had the right attitude to begin with.

heh thanks for the kind words, really :blushing:

Well I had my problems settling in because of my aggressive stance towards piracy and all the new PSP users that came in and just want "ISO, ISO, ZOMFG ISO!!!!!!!!"

I made a lot of good friends here, so I also felt like I owed MfM something therefore my trying to give back to the community, by sharing some of my - limited - knowledge in video game :p

A_Nub

Developer

I think maybe I wrote it wrong or it came off on you wrong. While you do have strong a valid points, what I actually meant is I get disrespected for no reason. So I am just wondering, why people cannot at least have a mutual respect for another person, no matter what they do. I stopped visiting IRC because I am sure most people there don't like me, and I can't figure out why. I mean last time I was in there, people were calling me stuck up and a show off. When all I did was think that Chat was joking around, I didn't realize that no one knew what rays are. I learned them in 4th or 5th grade, so I thought that they were just common knowledge. And I get ridiculed, even after I found out they didn't know and I explained. Honestly, I have been with a forum community psp-programming.com since 2006-09-14 and have not had any of these problems, I go on IRC everyday and I used to post on the forums whenever I could, 3 or so posts a day. And we still have a active IRC channel, and we all are quite happy with one and other. Never did I have any of the problems I have here. This somewhat disproves your point of people on the internet not having respect. So its not that I want respect, its that I don't want a shit load of disrespect for no reason.

afteralter

S for Surreal
I strongly suggest to ignore the ignorant :)

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
I strongly suggest to ignore the ignorant :)

Ignorance is not bliss. Ignoring the ignorant would make you ignorant as well, and as such would make the entire forum ignorant.

I agree with pretty much everything a_nub said except the new posts thing. I'm no perfect sam, but it is a problem.

Scorned

I bet you could fit a whole fist in there.

I've heard things about the Josey fists.

---------- Post added at 02:53 PM EST ---------- Previous post was at 02:51 PM EST ----------

Would you rather the complaints about the party room? :\

I think what his point is that the rest of the forum, besides those two, are functioning perfectly fine, and instead of generalizing the whole forum on those two points, they should just stick to the specifics.

eldiablov

Contributor
I think what his point is that the rest of the forum, besides those two, are functioning perfectly fine

No they're not. The forum and the site as a whole are not functioning well at all. The photography section is as good as dead, the programming section is dead, the only place that sees some activity other than the "main" forum section is off topic.

Craig Fairfax

illuminati Vereran
I said most, not all. 2 and to some extent 1 are the most relevant to the overall forum IMO.

3 is both a PSP issue and irreparable.. how is a lack of devs M4M's problem?

4 is the same thing as 1 (post number ten points at this being primarily a IRC problem), just made into a separate point to make his list seem longer. Both are blown out of proportion.

Point 5 is the same thing as two, once again needlessly made into a separate point. You can't force somebody to be interested in photoshop contests. The "i wannabe a graphic artist" fad was all but dead even before QJ collapsed.

point 6 sounds like another irreparable PSP section issue.