• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Cracked windows...

Hellcat

Contributor
Second Alternative: Have somebody you know that is going to a University get you a copy of it for free or at a significant discount (~$30)
The father of a buddy of mine did that.
Got a win7-Pro (or w/e that ed. is called) for like 35 bucks or so.
Officially, legaly, own legit key and all \o/

If I wouldn't already have my OEM 7-Ult., I might have asked for one too xD

But I got that running on 7loader anyway though, since I'm not a fan of MS' activation policy.
I'd have NO problem activating if you could do it infinite times (I use to reinstall my PCs very often) but after several times you have to call them, which is a PITA....

I never buy windows before and never going to change.

- Back on topic -

the only way you tell if it supports 64 bit if you just stick the dvd and hit any key. it will tell you if your processor is unsupported or not. Its that easy!

That's not the only way you can tell if your computer supports 64-bit or not.

If you on windows XP
Start > Run > dxdiag

Vista
Start > Control Panel > System and Maintenance > System.

or all else fails
Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Information

but with empty hard drive, you might as well slap the disc in just to see if it will work. not like its going to harm the computer.

Granite

Hardcore Prawn
I never buy windows before and never going to change.
You say it like you deserve a medal of honour. Regardless of this being a simple question of the disadvantages of using pirated version of windows it appears to have turned its self into a "whats the best version i can haz pirate" debate.

If you don't know if your processor is 64bit or not the likely hood of the matter is you shouldn't hurt yourself trying to find out install it.

amrcidiot

MFM Survivor
Second Alternative: Have somebody you know that is going to a University get you a copy of it for free or at a significant discount (~$30)

This.
I can get a copy of vista for like 5 bucks, not sure about win 7, I already bought it for 19 bucks (remember that website that gave it out for a short time?) when I found out I could go through the CS department.
Monday, I'm getting a copy of Visual Studio for $10

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
I'm not sure if they've blocked it yet but Australia.edu gives out free e-mails addresses which you can register for and then use to register for a student discount from Digital River (currently offering 7 Professional for around $60 I think).

However if you choose to go the crack route there are many cracks available, all of which seem to work fine and I haven't noticed any problems with them. I'm using one on my roomates computer and have yet run into problems. These latest OS cracks often carry the name "loader" in them so you'll want to look for something like that. They all work from my experience, however the later versions just seem to improve user-friendliness so I would use the one that looks most straight-forward ;)

Cryox

Bro.
I'm not sure if they've blocked it yet but Australia.edu gives out free e-mails addresses which you can register for and then use to register for a student discount from Digital River (currently offering 7 Professional for around $60 I think).

I might test that out later. Having Win7 over this piece of crap vista would be oh-so nice.

I would go ahead and get a cracked version... but this computer isn't really mine and eyebrows would be raised if the other members of the house saw that Win7 magically appeared on this computer... :/

nathanmoon

Programmer. Procrastinator.
Alright once it finished downloading if I have any questions I'll post here. Thanks a lot guys.

Also I have 3GB of RAM is that enough for 64-bit?
Yes, the minimum requirement for 64-bit is actually just 2GB RAM so, using 3GB should work just nice.. :D

LocutusEstBorg

1) 64-bit works perfectly on 2GiB of RAM.

2) 64-bit is up to 20% faster.

3) You can reactivate any number of times without calling Microsoft on the same hardware.

4) Even non-Ultimate editions can change the language. You can only have one active at a time.

5) BIOS reflash method is the best method for pirating and will likely never be detected.

B

Bizarre

Ok thanks guys, I'm about to install it later tonight once I pick up a blank DVD.

1) 64-bit works perfectly on 2GiB of RAM.

2) 64-bit is up to 20% faster.

3) You can reactivate any number of times without calling Microsoft on the same hardware.

4) Even non-Ultimate editions can change the language. You can only have one active at a time.

5) BIOS reflash method is the best method for pirating and will likely never be detected.
I can confirm 1, 2, and 5

I have a computer with 2GB and 64-bit worked out great and yes its faster then 32.

B

Bizarre

Hey guys just letting everyone know I was successful in installing it.

---------- Post added 01-31-2010 at 02:02 AM ---------- Previous post was 01-30-2010 at 11:39 PM ----------

Hey guys quick question:
Untitled.png

Where it says: nick (Available)
For msn it usually appears where the battery, sound etc icons are, how do I get it to go there?

ChurchedAtheist

Your resident psycho hobo
np. for future reference, "where the battery, sound etc icons are" is called the notification area.