• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

eXophase CouchSurfing Thread

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
I bet most of you know what the concept of CouchSurfing involves but I might as well just say it for those that do not.

CouchSurfing is a practice in which you "borrow" your couch (or spare bed, or whatever xD) to someone that will "crash" at your place for a few days. Then the person hosting can take the other guy around the city (or more if you have the cash) or the couchsurfer can just go and explore at his will (I've seen both happen). The host covers food expenses (unless you go eat at a restaurant or fast food or whatever).

My question now is: Is anyone intersted in hosting? Or does anyone want to couchsurf? xD

Available Hosts:

KezraPlanes (Braga, Portugal)

Hellcat

Contributor
I'll be hosting in August for a buddy that comes over from the US.

And I'm always open to host for cute girlies :D

ultimakillz

Teh Fett Mawn
this is an interesting concept. ive never really heard of it in this sense. i have done this with people i know, like friends that have moved to a new city and ill stay a weekend with them and they'll show me around or vice versa, but ive never heard of anyone doing it with people they don't already know, well, know more than "we post in the same forums on the internet" xD

JadePlanes

this is an interesting concept. ive never really heard of it in this sense. i have done this with people i know, like friends that have moved to a new city and ill stay a weekend with them and they'll show me around or vice versa, but ive never heard of anyone doing it with people they don't already know, well, know more than "we post in the same forums on the internet" xD

I'm not sure if Kezra wanted to propose the idea, to see if it could be done inside the forum, or if he just wanted to know your opinion about it.

So, since you don't know couchsurfing (besides with people you already know).
http://www.couchsurfing.org/
That's a place where you can find people around the world willing to give their couch to a stranger, for many reasons (to know the culture, etc). In this site, you make your account, put in your profile if you are available to give your couch or just for a coffee and something about yourself, and the place where you live. And then people will contact you, for you to know the kind of host they are, the site as a system of ratings, that makes easier to make a decision and a lot safer.

I like the idea, but I never done it :( The people I know who does it, says it's really awesome, people are very nice and they never had problems with the hosts.

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
it sounds more like sponging off a person imo, i can kindof understand giving them a place to sleep if they want to go out and see a new city or something and don't want to have to pay for a hotel, but with the host being expected to pay for their meals and such is a bit much imo.

also, the idea of giving a stranger complete access to my home, whom i've never met in real life before is not something i'd ever consider, but that's just me.

JadePlanes

it sounds more like sponging off a person imo, i can kindof understand giving them a place to sleep if they want to go out and see a new city or something and don't want to have to pay for a hotel, but with the host being expected to pay for their meals and such is a bit much imo.

also, the idea of giving a stranger complete access to my home, whom i've never met in real life before is not something i'd ever consider, but that's just me.

I think it's a big decision let someone you don't know enter your home like that. And you don't have to pay food and everything but as far as I know people usually give the meals, because one of the objectives is to lower the cost of the trip.

The part that interests me is not letting someone come to my home (because I can't), but to know the people, when they come to the city I live and let them know a bit about the place they are visiting and culture. I would like to try 'surfing' but I don't think I would do it alone.

january39

eXo Staff
I have heard of it before, but cant get my head around a total stranger (email aside) coming into my home. Which i think is the ultimate shame really...

ultimakillz

Teh Fett Mawn
on the flip side, idk if i would be comfortable staying in a complete stranger's home :confused1: but meh, maybe its just not for me.....

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
My idea was that we made a eXophase Internal Couchsurfing thing, or just use the couchsurfing website for feedback and such (but still do pretty much everything here).

As Jade said the host is not forced to pay for food and such but it's what we've seen done most of the time. Of course everything should be arranged betweet host and hosted, no? :p

I'm available to be an host. Can I take by Hellcat's and Dan's posts that they are available as well?

I advise everyone to book their trips (at least within the EU) using Ryanair since they are pretty cheap.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Yea because this whole thing is safe...

Yea Blacksheep, because you're a freaking genius.

A friend of mine just came back from couchsurfing in Spain and had a freaking great time and guess what, nothing bad happened. He's been couchsurfing once per month since last year and the worse that happened to him was losing his wallet in Ireland. I've received couchsurfers in my place and guess what. Nothing happened. So yea, it is pretty safe. Don't judge without proof, and go troll somewhere else.

@Dan: It's not more unsafe than here xD

spitfireuk

FRAGSTATIC!!
I think this is a good idea. Kezra i think i'll be seeing you in the near future ;)

I always wanted to see more of the world and this seems like a good idea with the added benefit of meeting new people.

i'll totally host when i get my own place

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
I think this is a good idea. Kezra i think i'll be seeing you in the near future ;)

I always wanted to see more of the world and this seems like a good idea with the added benefit of meeting new people.

i'll totally host when i get my own place

Just say the word ;)