• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

iPhone/iPod Touch General Discussion

-chw42-

Like a Boss
The iPhone dev team have stated in the past how many internal Apple IP's had downloaded their tools. They stated in their chaos conference presentation but I can't remember the number off the top of my head.

It was like 180.

_Syn

Yeah because developing is so simple, it isn't a damn get rich quick scheme :/

The only thing you need is a managable computer, the creativity and being able to actually putnypir vision into a product, then there is the hope in which it would become a popular app. One can have all of the above, but it's not enough to be the reason you quit your job. I mean $250,000 for 2 months is a lot compared to what some would get anually, but I'd wanna keep my job as it contributes to the overall gathering of riches. + $0.02 from me! :sleep:

Trism is a really fun and addicting game. Congrats to the guy he really earned it.

[i really need to find me a mac]

eldiablov

Contributor
As long as you've got a great idea, computer know how and abit of determination, it is a get rich quick scheme.

I've never seen you make a useful post - ever.

Although abrupt and fairly rude Hiratai has a point. I'm not trying to put you down but there is a big difference between "computer know how" and knowing how to program an enjoyable, lag free, bug free game.

eighty4

As long as you've got a great idea, computer know how and abit of determination, it is a get rich quick scheme.

I've never seen you make a useful post - ever.

Then you obviously aren't looking. Want me to assist you?

spike021

iPhone Developer (prev. PSP Dev)

Believe me, it's a lot more difficult than you may think. A lot of thought has to go into your development, because otherwise, your app will get lost in the crowd. I don't know the exact amount, but roughly 50-75 apps get approved per a day, you need to be able to advertise quite a bit otherwise you go unnoticed. It's not as simply as saying, "I've played video games forever, how hard could it be to make one?"

Here's a checklist for you so you can see if you have the requirements down (at least the ones that matter for me in general, but can probably be applied to anyone):

• Do you know C programming?
  • Do you know Objective-C, a superset of C?
  • If you're planning on writing games, do you have knowledge of different API's/libraries that you can use?
  • Do you have the graphics knowledge? Believe me, most people buy apps if they have a clean-looking GUI.
  • How long have you been programming?
  • Do you have experience with commercial development? While not as needed, this is definitely something that you need to be efficient at even as a beginner. You need to have a website/page, email address, and other methods of contact so that you can be told of: glitches, bugs, requests, supports ?s and the like.

eighty4

Believe me, it's a lot more difficult than you may think. A lot of thought has to go into your development, because otherwise, your app will get lost in the crowd. I don't know the exact amount, but roughly 50-75 apps get approved per a day, you need to be able to advertise quite a bit otherwise you go unnoticed. It's not as simply as saying, "I've played video games forever, how hard could it be to make one?"

Here's a checklist for you so you can see if you have the requirements down (at least the ones that matter for me in general, but can probably be applied to anyone):

• Do you know C programming?
  • Do you know Objective-C, a superset of C?
  • If you're planning on writing games, do you have knowledge of different API's/libraries that you can use?
  • Do you have the graphics knowledge? Believe me, most people buy apps if they have a clean-looking GUI.
  • How long have you been programming?
  • Do you have experience with commercial development? While not as needed, this is definitely something that you need to be efficient at even as a beginner. You need to have a website/page, email address, and other methods of contact so that you can be told of: glitches, bugs, requests, supports ?s and the like.
His only skill is using Photoshop to make things pretty.

Brad

Yoshimi
Acquired touch and has been jail broken.

Gotta get my wireless router back from a friend I only got a wired one :(

Seth

MD Party Room
Acquired touch and has been jail broken.

Gotta get my wireless router back from a friend I only got a wired one :(

Woot first a ps3 and now a ipod touch...Sweet...

---------- Post added at 10:06 PM EST ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 PM EST ----------

You'll want a wireless router for SSH purposes at the very least.

isent usb better then ssh?

_Syn

YOu don't have an iPod Touch at all, do you?

You don't have to be so harsh on a n00b to the iPod Touch.

@n00b :laugh:: SSH is a way to transfer files over into the iPod Touch's database, through secure server connections. Try putting your iPod into the USB, see what happens. But as madsoul says, the system files are accessible through USB connections, but will require a more difficult way to be able to get in the system files. Normally, one can only access your music, photos, videos, applications, etc. But, through SSH you have full access of the iPod's system files, so once you get it set up, be careful not to mess with anything if you don't know what it is.

mohaas05

You could use iphonebrowser for windows which uses usb instead of wifi, but changing permissions and handling multiple files is a pain.