• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Multi Modern Warfare 2

I'm really disappointed in the decision to force matchmaking in the PC version and not allow dedicated servers. This is a terrible decision and I think, partly fueled by greed on Activision's part as they want to do away with custom maps and the like so as to force people to buy DLC packs. Unless they change their mind, I might just pass and wait till I can pick this up on the cheap. Will be busy with Borderlands and L4D2 anyway.

Totally Agreed. Dedicated servers certainly needs to be added. PC users WANT control, they want to know what ping, what mods, etc. IWNet simply takes that control away, and it becomes the same gamble it was on the console. I remember way too often on COD4 joining a game then leaving immediately due to poor host quality.

I guess it works great for Infinity Ward though. MW3 rolls around, they can completely kill off MW2.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Totally Agreed. Dedicated servers certainly needs to be added. PC users WANT control, they want to know what ping, what mods, etc. IWNet simply takes that control away, and it becomes the same gamble it was on the console. I remember way too often on COD4 joining a game then leaving immediately due to poor host quality.

I guess it works great for Infinity Ward though. MW3 rolls around, they can completely kill off MW2.

I didn't have that problem when using the console versions of the game, I rarely got in games with bad pings. With MW2 the game searches for the best connection possible first so that shouldn't even be an issue. I myself find that the game itself doesn't need mods to be good or even extend the gameplay/change it up. Myself and others logged in a ton of time on the console version of the game and have very little complaints about it. People are just babies and don't like change. I for one welcome the dedicated servers, I hated dealing with cheaters on the computer and always found it hard to actually find a good game. I hate seeking out servers...it's a pain.

I didn't have that problem when using the console versions of the game, I rarely got in games with bad pings. With MW2 the game searches for the best connection possible first so that shouldn't even be an issue. I myself find that the game itself doesn't need mods to be good or even extend the gameplay/change it up. Myself and others logged in a ton of time on the console version of the game and have very little complaints about it. People are just babies and don't like change. I for one welcome the dedicated servers, I hated dealing with cheaters on the computer and always found it hard to actually find a good game. I hate seeking out servers...it's a pain.

Problem is, (here anyway), residential internet connections are very poor, especially in regards to upload rates, which can lead to problems when you try to host a game greater than 12 players. While it is true that the matchmaking system does have it's benefits, I still see no reason to remove Dedicated Servers apart from profitability. L4D has a matchmaking system AND dedicated servers, allowing the best of both worlds.
Change is good when it's progression. This is not progression.

This too. After migrating from console to PC, the concept of servers felt like a complete upgrade. Instead of searching for games with the settings I wanted and changing every time, I just found a server which had what I wanted and simply favorite it. Like I said, there's no reason both can't coexist.

EvilSeph

Administrator
Guess I'll post this here too:

It was born on that basis, and that basis sucked it dry, because people are dirty fucking thieves.

Face it, the remaining benefits of PC gaming will be superior graphics, and mouse and Keyboard control. If that's not enough for you, buy an Xbox 360 or PS3. Those platforms are more well protected, and you can't blame developers for wanting to more readily support systems where their product can't be so easily stolen.

Also, nobody is forcing anything on you. Don't like it? Vote with your dollar. This is how things used to work. If you didn't like something, you didn't buy it. Now? You don't like something, you pirate it. Instead of a developer standing back and saying "What did we do wrong, and what can we do to fix it?", they say "Why the fuck do we continue to make PC games, they're just going to steal it either way.", and they move to consoles.

Unfortunately, the PC platform is so fucked at this point, if this game doesn't sell well enough, I could see Infinity Ward completely abandon PC.

You people do know that they're a business, right? They're doing this to make money.

I didn't specifically say CoD 4 mods. I was mostly referring to Valve's games that either originated from or spawned a couple very popular mods. If Half Life wasn't moddable, we would not have Counter-Strike, Natural Selection, Team Fortress, Team Fortress Classic. If Half Life wasn't moddable, we would have far fewer development companies out there today, because Valve and Steam works are the combination that enable garage companies to get their feet wet and get recognition.

After all this, it just doesn't make sense for any company to not allow people to mod their game. Furthermore, what with all the flack popular games get on consoles for having the servers hosted by the consoles (like TF2) that results in frame drops, lag, sometimes even completely unplayable games and issues with hosts leaving and messing up games, it doesn't make any sense to not allow dedicated servers.

One of the biggest issues I can think of right now is that the majority of home connections out there will likely not meet the minimum requirements to run a proper server. Seriously, how many of us have a 3 Megabytes/sec upstream (I'm guessing this might be the minimum as it usually is 3 Megabytes/sec when dedicated servers are not involved)?

Another issue I have with this, and I'm quite certain a lot of people agree, is that this could set a precedent depending on how things go... Infinity Ward is a large company with a lot of influence in gaming... if MW2 is successful using this sub-par system of not allowing dedicated servers... other companies may follow suit. What scares me the most is that even if performance won't be that great, the companies will likely only care about profit...so even if it seems like a failed venture in my eyes or most hardcore gamers' eyes, IW and Activision may consider it otherwise, causing other companies to believe such too.

Other than Piracy. But on that front, Valve seems to be doing just fine. Have you tried pirating their games? The experience is completely different to if you were to purchase them.

I was going to remove the quote, but then it doesn't really make sense.

Here's IW's justification of IWNet.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 is actually the biggest investment Infinity Ward has ever made into the PC version of our games. It’s also the most feature-rich PC version we’ve ever made. IWNET takes the benefits of dedicated servers and allows them to be utilized and accessed by every player, out of the box, while removing the barrier to entry for players unaware of how to maintain a server on their own.

How does it do this?

Matchmaking & Smoother Gameplay: When you want to player a multiplayer game on PC, in the past. You’d have to scroll through a Server Browser which listed every available server which was hosted by individual server admins. Each had their own private rules, mods, or ways of playing the game. Most players would also use the server browser to find just the best quality game (based on PING). With IWNET matchmaking, it takes all that into account for you. All you have to do is select the playlist (pre-set gametypes with custom rules) that fits the style of play you are in the mood for. When you do, it will automatically find you a game with the best performance, ping, and preferences based on your location and individual connection as well as matching you with players of your same SKILL. So you’re always guaranteed the best game performance for where you are and what connection you’re playing on as well as an equal game with other players of your same skill level, not rank, but skill level. It doesn’t mean you’ll just be thrown into a random game! It will put you in the game that will give you the smoothest gameplay possible without you having to manually find a server with the best ping.

Playlists and Private Matches: As I described above, Playlists are pre-set game modes and gametypes for public games. If you just want to jump into a public game of Search and Destroy or Hardcore Search and Destroy and you don’t care about fully customizing it, then you can utilize playlists to do that quickly for you. However, say you’re in a clan and you want to play a Clan match with another team, or you want to practice for an upcoming tournament that has specific rules in a private game. Then you can start a Private Match (which is essentially like running your own private server) where you have complete control over the rules, who can join, boot players you don’t want, and essentially control the entire game or tweak it to your liking. Once the rules are set, you can invite the other team in or just start it up with your clan to practice with the custom rules before the match. This now allows you to play custom games out of the box without the need to install mods, find a modded server with the rules you like, or worry about not being in control of the match.

Party System and Friendslist: Modern Warfare 2 on PC also makes it much easier if you want to party up with your friends, or again, with your clan for a match. You can utilize the friendslist to see when your friends are online, and invite them to your Party. A Party allows you to move from game to game as a group. It’s great for clan matches, because you can party of with your clan and move from public game to public game together. Or if you’re doing a scrim, party up and invite the other clan (who is in a party) and they’ll all join at once. Set up a private match together and play. It makes setting up scrims or games with friends easier and hassle free.

Cheat / Hack Free Games: The biggest benefit of using IWnet by far is the fact that you don’t have to worry about joining a server full of aim-bots, wallhacks, or cheaters. Or relying on the server admin of the server to constantly be monitoring, banning, and policing it. Modern Warfare 2 on PC allows us to control the quality of the game much more than ever before as well as utilizing the VAC (Valve-Anti-Cheat) system to keep games clean of hackers and cheaters.

All in all, IWNET adds a load of new features that the PC version of our games have never had before and allows us an infrastructure to continue to update and improve on the game post-launch.

As great as they play the matchmaking system up as, I still do not see how it cannot be used in conjunction with a server browser. Quality, is not just ping, but also reliability and stability. Dedicated servers give just that.

EvilSeph

Administrator
What a load of bull. Smoother gameplay? Let's take a look at Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising.

I simply don't see how consumer home connections can match up to dedicated lines that most dedicated servers use.

Oh and let's not forget that VAC(2) is a joke.

Robby

Los Doyers!
As long as I will be able to play a game online and enjoy the game, I don't really care.

Craig Fairfax

illuminati Vereran
They should have just not told people about the removal of dedicated servers at all.
I thought they were trying to make money?

Robby

Los Doyers!
I still think it will sell well on both consoles and PCs.

I think it'll sell well on consoles, and get pirated a lot on PC's

Whcih, in turn will cause Activision to claim the IWNet system a 'success', and blame lower sales on piracy. Which, will cause them to shrink their PC support further.

LocutusEstBorg

Anyone pre-ordered this for PC? Gonna pre-order today from IVG. If they get 150 pre-orders we get 10% discount.

They priced it LOWER than COD4, only INR 1299 less 10% = 1169 ($25) :D

Robby

Los Doyers!
So it looks like this game is gonna have a 3rd player view playlist for online, that should be, fun?

wait...does this mean I cant LAN play on pc? no custom maps? nothing?

ah that is bullshit!