• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Need a few testers

dan369

Hi, (Hope atlteast someone remembers me :p, been awhile though).
Well i'm looking for a few testers for a new game i'm currently making. It's not a homebrew game, in-fact it's a PC game written in C# with XNA.
The game isn't much right now but i really want to see what the game looks like on different resolutions. I have quite a weird resolution, 1366x768. It looks fine on my monitor but i have't got a different sized one to test it on.

There are a few prerequisites though, things that need to be installed to use the game & a few things just for a testing point of few:
1) XNA 4.0, if you haven't got this then the installer will pick this up & ask you to download it.
2) FRAPS, just to get a few of what the FPS is like on each different PC. Why do i want FRAPS instead of using an internal fps counter in the game? More accurate.
3) Dropbox, i'm using a shared folder in Dropbox to distribute the builds currently. I personally prefer this way because it's practically instant, i have update the shared folder, you'll know about it.

Basically all i need is the tester/s to take a screenshot of the game. Then upload it onto the shared folder in Dropbox.

Help would be greatly appreciated!

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
I can test aswell :p

dan369

Sent! Btw just so you guys know, build 0.3 is the latest build :p.

Edit:
BTW when you launch the build, it'll automatically go into full-screen mode. To exit out of the game, press the Escape key or if you have it, the Back button on the 360 controller.
Left/Right to move.
Z to attack (though it's just an animation for now :p)
X to jump

Your see that i'm using castlevania 2 sprites at the moment, thats just place holder, something to work with. For the ladders/ropes, you can move up & down on them, and jump off them. On the ladder, you can also move left & right on it until you go off the ladder which you'll then fall off.

Edit again:
Thanks Ipaq :). Thank god it looks alright :p. P.s 2 things:
1) OMG how many things you have going on at once :O
2) And you also have a massive monitor :p 1932x1208 :O

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
The project is at a fixed resolution it looks right now and does not scale to the monitors native resolution. The project seems fixed at a resolution of 1000x768. Regardless I've taken screenshots and uploaded them

dan369

The project is at a fixed resolution it looks right now and does not scale to the monitors native resolution. The project seems fixed at a resolution of 1000x768. Regardless I've taken screenshots and uploaded them

I just realized that myself, i comment out the isFullScreen due to that fact that if i'm debugging or an error pops-up then in full-screen mode it just sort of freezes for me.

Edit:
Okay try build 0.4, now it should place the game into full-screen mode. The only bad thing is that you'll need to un-install it then install the newer version.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
I just realized that myself, i comment out the isFullScreen due to that fact that if i'm debugging or an error pops-up then in full-screen mode it just sort of freezes for me.

Edit:
Okay try build 0.4, now it should place the game into full-screen mode. The only bad thing is that you'll need to un-install it then install the newer version.

The scaling is not proper, it seems to be locked in at a low resolution and only showing one portion of the game's environment. Screenshots are in the folder. Game was full screen but resolution was extremely low on my 1920x1200 screen (over 50% decrease in resolution from that to the game)

dan369

The scaling is not proper, it seems to be locked in at a low resolution and only showing one portion of the game's environment. Screenshots are in the folder. Game was full screen but resolution was extremely low on my 1920x1200 screen (over 50% decrease in resolution from that to the game)
Damn it! Thought this issue might occur, better tackling it now then later on :p.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Damn it! Thought this issue might occur, better tackling it now then later on :p.

I've started trying with build 0.4, but all I get is a red orb in the middle and no button I press or no matter where I click, nothing else happens. Any ideas?

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
I've started trying with build 0.4, but all I get is a red orb in the middle and no button I press or no matter where I click, nothing else happens. Any ideas?

The scaling is off in this build so you aren't seeing the entire environment

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Done. :p Build 0.5 is there already xD

The jumping controls fill a little stiff. Very Castlevania though xD

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Thats the idea :). I was so happy when i saw your print-screens :p. Btw what is your resolution?

Edit:
Realized you have a very similar screen to me, infact almost the same :p. Hoping Ipaq's screenies look alright

Alright the scaling is working to an extent now. I am now able to see the entire game area although the assets themselves are not scaled to the screen (might need new/different assets if the program won't scale properly). I changed my resolution to 1280x720 and it was much better. It would be really difficult to make a game compatible with multiple resolutions so I think it would be best to build it with a single resolution in mind. That being said, you should be able to have the game force a display to change resolution to fit the game's resolution - aka. have the game run at 1280x720 on my 1920x1200 screen.

I've uploaded the screenshots to my folder with captures from my native resolution and then 1600x900 and 1280x720 (think it was that one).

dan369

Alright the scaling is working to an extent now. I am now able to see the entire game area although the assets themselves are not scaled to the screen (might need new/different assets if the program won't scale properly). I changed my resolution to 1280x720 and it was much better. It would be really difficult to make a game compatible with multiple resolutions so I think it would be best to build it with a single resolution in mind. That being said, you should be able to have the game force a display to change resolution to fit the game's resolution - aka. have the game run at 1280x720 on my 1920x1200 screen.

I've uploaded the screenshots to my folder with captures from my native resolution and then 1600x900 and 1280x720 (think it was that one).
Exactly what i'm going to-do.
Sorry for this late reply :p. I've basically just been fixing a couple of bugs that my friend found. SO thats taken up my time since i've gotten home, now i'm going to get back on to the resolution issue.
Hopefully i should have that done by tonight. Right now it's 8:40pm (BST), so yeah hopefully tonight that be sorted and build 0.6 will be up ;). I'll post up again when its ready though you guys should pretty much see the "X amount of files changed" notice be Dropbox.