• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Opinions, compliments, complaints - feedback, call it what you want.

Adiuvo

Restricting parts of the forum based on post count doesn't seem like a good idea. All of the forum sections we have actually serve a purpose.

B

Bizarre

I think you guys misunderstood me, I meant themes, like how we have a choice now between dark or light, the higher your post count is the more selection you have. idk just an idea.

Cryox

Bro.
Restricting parts of the forum based on post count doesn't seem like a good idea. All of the forum sections we have actually serve a purpose.

Unless you guys add the Trade/Sell forum. That would most likely be hidden until so many posts were made. like maybe 100?

Adiuvo

I think you guys misunderstood me, I meant themes, like how we have a choice now between dark or light, the higher your post count is the more selection you have. idk just an idea.
Oh, that. The reason we don't have many themes is because of the maintenance of them. Updates break the themes, and they aren't entirely easy to fix.
Unless you guys add the Trade/Sell forum. That would most likely be hidden until so many posts were made. like maybe 100?

If we ever get a Trade/Sell forum (which hopefully we do), then a post restriction would definitely be in place.

Cryox

Bro.
Oh, that. The reason we don't have many themes is because of the maintenance of them. Updates break the themes, and they aren't entirely easy to fix.

Well if a couple users were willing to make them, couldn't you implement the use of custom .css themes? (kinda like what, tehconnection, and, I'm assuming, waffles) Or is what I'm saying not possible?

EvilSeph

Administrator
Several Yeti Sports games and Winter Bells have been added to the MfM Arcade.

Remember, please do not hesitate to let us know if you come across any bugs with any of them.

I disagree with the idea of post-count exclusives. This only encourages spam, not more useful posts.

Well if a couple users were willing to make them, couldn't you implement the use of custom .css themes? (kinda like what, tehconnection, and, I'm assuming, waffles) Or is what I'm saying not possible?

You can try creating custom user styles using client-side CSS with the Stylish extension (there are similar ones for the other browsers) and share them here. It requires no server-side interaction, so it's great for user created themes.

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
If you have a ton of template mods(virtually any type), I advise you to check out Template Modification System.

I use it on my forums and I can literally install a new skin and it will apply all of the mods on the spot, and it's a non-permanent thing, so if you eff up, you can just disable whatever modification. I think some of the vbulletin staff wrote it. It is by far the most useful thing I've ever used.

I find that much easier to deal with. Also, I haven't had a broken skin since I migrated my mods to it. I also didn't notice any real load coming from it.

But yeah, just a suggestion there. Another one would be vbPlaza, which though it costs money, if you end up with extra donations that more than cover the bills, you could do that.

B

Bizarre

Heres a couple of suggestions I thought of:
-vbPlaza
-Where there is MFM Live, why not make a ps3 one with trophies, if its possible
-Developers get their own released section in their user profile

spike021

iPhone Developer (prev. PSP Dev)
Hey guys

Most of you long time members may remember me seeing as how I use to be a prominent user of the forums as well as contributor.

I realize that not signing in for over 2.5 months has greatly affected the reputation that I once had. Nonewithstanding, I have decided, upon seeing this thread, to offer some feedback that has since spawned from the reasons that I left. This may be a long post so I will try to keep it short and to the point, if that does not work, then forgive me. However, I feel that my input is definitely worth the read and if it turns out to not be so, then my apologies.

/* ************************************ */'

Overall Site:

1)
- Frontpage -​

When this site first began roughly one year ago (as ES rightly said), it definitely had a few rough edges. There were not enough stories being printed, they were not original enough and were missing the overall value that we, the original members, had pictured at the time. A few months down the road, our staff formed a connection with eXophase.com due to the relationship between x3sphere and some of our members here. This I believe was something that we were all happy for since it would provide some relief to the blog writers as well as give the news portion of our site some substantial articles. At the time, I liked it because I had never really cared to look at eXophase before, however some weeks later I found that it was beginning to be a waste of resources seeing as how we were starting to only have x3sphere's articles available on our site. I personally began to feel that the site was turning splog. For those who do not know what this is, think of a basic, run of the mill blog except that no extensive writing takes place on it, for the majority of articles that are ran through it are taken from another site. I felt that this has become a bit of a burden on our site. You see, of course we started putting our own foot forward by creating a couple new series (Retro Reviews, Curious Findings). These began to provide a renewal of interest in the frontpage, however, this turned out to be quite dull after the feeling passed. We never really made an effort into getting people to write for us. Occasionally someone came along that had potential, but I believe that this really hurt us since it never lasted very long.

Because of this issue, I never clicked on the frontpage link located in our forums. The forums were bookmarked however since I traveled there (here) quite often.

On another note, behind the scenes I found while I was visiting the site that it ran smoothly and had just the right amount of everything. In short, nothing had to be changed. Of course during my travels here, the administration made sure to code updates to the forums in order to ensure a quality experience, which I respect.

2)
- The Forums -​

Coming from a background that was founded off of QJ.net (QuickJump), I did not have too many strong/positive feelings about joining this site. However, once I learned that many respected people in the various scenes were joining, I took interest. I liked the forums back in the original days because of a few reasons that I will list for you:

• The forums were founded on a small community
  • this small community had *respect*
  • there never one word posts or not too many short answer posts - posts were usually well thought out, yet written casually
  • posts did not consist of bad grammar. for one, I do understand that English is not necessarily your first/primary language, but for those who did learn it primarily, they shouldn't have been posting in this way
  • We had (and still have) a decent group of staff/administration that made sure to not only work behind the scenes. the truly made a difference where most other forums' staff don't.

Of course these weren't the only reasons at the time, but thinking back, these are the ones that I feel were some of the most important. I would like to personally outline the second point in the list that mentions respect. The last couple of months that I was using these forums, I found that users were losing respect for each other. And then something struck us and in my completely honest opinion left an extremely crude mark upon us. That was MaTiAz and Davee's work on the latest (at the time) PSP exploits. While that didn't matter much to me because I appreciated their work, I felt that they're gift to the site was something that we would have been better off without. Every single day after that event, I found our site crowded with disrespectful new users who did not even take the time to read our rules or do anything else. Of course we had the one or two who actually cared enough to post insightful responses to posts, or help a member in need. I believe that this site wasn't ready for it. And I'm not talking about physically. Our servers are some of the best, our staff are some of the best coders. It was a mental problem that destroyed us. I believe that we were too busy trying to create an image for the rest of the internet, in other words a reputation. I also believe that some of us thought that doing this would put us in the same league as QJ once was. Well, seeing as where that site went roughly a year and a half ago, I would've thought that we'd learn to not make the same mistake. But we did. IF done RIGHT, this little event could've given us a completely different outcome.

3)
- IRC -​

In the past before coming to MfM, I would accidentally click on IRC links, but I never realized IRC's full potential until I came to this site's channel. It gave me the chance to socialize with so many of our members in ways that forums walled out. It was flat out AMAZING. However, it had a major flaw. This flaw was more or less ironed out through time, but but but it wormed its way back in after the shortest amount of time. Trolling was that flaw. It never became much of anything serious until one of the *staff* did it as well. But it was truly sad because there was trust in that staff member. At the time, it caused a falling out between him and everyone else on board, so he was booted and downgraded from moderator status. I left and came back a couple days ago to find him REINSTATED. there used to be a time when the staff truly, TRULY cared about the site itself and its USERS. But things have changed. Since returning, I've lurked a bit, trying to figure out if the place had changed any bit since leaving. But sadly I was wrong.

And this is where I finally realized that this site had its chance. However, the staff lost their focus. Of course there were the couple who understood and reasoned about it. Our site would be in a completely different situation if we had a full staff of caring people.

I don't want to ramble much further than this, and unfortunately some may label me as an elitist from writing this long post. My apologies. This site stands a chance, but only if the administration can pull themselves together and work to pull off something that can revive the site. If and when they can do that, this site might still be able to pull off something original. Until then, good luck. Try to respect others just a tad more. It's well worth it. That's how I grew to be friends with some of the members here, even though I have indeed left this site.

I might be back, but I don't think you'll be seeing much of me until this site has been returned to its former glory.

Just remember, ALWAYS remember: respect is key, otherwise nothing is gained, and all is lost.

PS: Lampworker says "sup bitches" :D

Lampworker

I noticed I was referenced. I hope you all are doing well and hope you make changes for the better. However, I feel you have made your choice between having fun and having a direction.

Hope you are well and having fun.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
I read your post Spike, and your reference to having Chathurga come back as a Staff member here is completely out of line, along with this sentence:

there used to be a time when the staff truly, TRULY cared about the site itself and its USERS. But things have changed.

First of all, Chathurga left the Staff ranks on his own volition. Since I've reinstated him, he has been by far the most active Staff member when dealing with reported posts and things like duplicate accounts, in addition to working on several other things.

Nothing has changed with our drive to improve this site for it's members. We are still community driven and community focused.

@Lampworker - Your post couldn't be further from the truth. You're implying that having fun and having a direction are two opposite ends of the possible site spectrum. It is good to see you post again though, don't be a stranger.

As a general comment, we are still working on improving the site, forum, and IRC. If you people would like to see more transparency in what we are working on, that is a different story.