• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

[POLL] - PS3 CFW - The end of the ps3 or just the beginning

KelticN7

One thing about piracy of both games and dvd's is that someone makes money from it and usually its people who are not very nice, on a local level the peeps who sell pirated disc's are the same peeps who deal in stolen goods and drugs etc , Also while you can say i just download from the net you could also ask the question about who runs the sites that you download from and what do they get from operating that site etc.

Robby

Los Doyers!
One thing about piracy of both games and dvd's is that someone makes money from it and usually its people who are not very nice, on a local level the peeps who sell pirated disc's are the same peeps who deal in stolen goods and drugs etc , Also while you can say i just download from the net you could also ask the question about who runs the sites that you download from and what do they get from operating that site etc.
Where I live it's usually the nerds who sell pirated movies and games and do console modding services while you get the gangsters who slang drugs.
I don't think drug dealers sell bootleg movies, they go for stuff that actually makes money.

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
it sounds like your just trying to not see the truth, as robby said, it generally doesn't work that way

ilyace

Well you couldn't be more wrong...actually everything you just said is completely false.

Riorio99

Sony needs to find a way to deal with people who cheat online, and pirate stuff, and I think that the way they're gonna do it is with the online pass thing that a bunch of other developers do. New copies will come with a key to access online play, therefore, pirated copies (and therefore unfortunately pre-owned copies) will have to purchase a key to play online. This will kill some piracy, especially of more popular games like CoD and Madden, etc.
I can't think of a way to deal with cheaters right now other than case-by-case bans.

Richlando

The cheating is a bit much. Mods for games, ie fallout new vegas, are starting to pop up everywhere so thats a bit unfortunate. Reminds me of Borderlands where they left the save files unlocked so you could cheat..ruined that game for me.And someone is working on getting the PC dlc for FNVegas to work with the ps3.

Robby

Los Doyers!
Sony needs to find a way to deal with people who cheat online, and pirate stuff, and I think that the way they're gonna do it is with the online pass thing that a bunch of other developers do. New copies will come with a key to access online play, therefore, pirated copies (and therefore unfortunately pre-owned copies) will have to purchase a key to play online. This will kill some piracy, especially of more popular games like CoD and Madden, etc.
I can't think of a way to deal with cheaters right now other than case-by-case bans.
It is very easy to trick a customer support rep into giving you another key when you claim yours is invalid.

That's what I've been doing for the past 2 years on games that have a online key of some sort for the XBox.

angelsniper45

It'll lead to both, mass piracy and homebrew. Piracy is always a side effect. Unfortunately, in the PS3's case, the integrity of PSN is now under threat as well. Apparently with the root key it's now feasible (in theory) to change stuff like the console ID, which will make banning cheaters extremely difficult.

While Sony can always ban on a per account basis, given that PSN is completely free, this isn't much of a defense. Creating another account only takes a matter of seconds.

Didn't Geohoot say he is leaving kernel mode untouched for the piracy reason? If he stays true to his word which he should, it should see just a massive amount of homebrew and not piracy unless someone else releases a full kernel mode exploit for it.

angelsniper45

Adiuvo

Broodstar

As pure as the brewer's intentions may be there's going to be almost no way to stop pirates getting into the PS3.
Voted both.

Colm

Erm, I think I'll be going for the entirely piracy aspect: In fairness, any software I want I can get on the PC. I love homebrew on portable systems but why would I need it on my PS3?

Robby

Los Doyers!
Playing an emulator on my big screen TV is nice, plus with the power the PS3 has, someone could make some really nice polished games for it to be played from the comfort of your couch

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
Erm, I think I'll be going for the entirely piracy aspect: In fairness, any software I want I can get on the PC. I love homebrew on portable systems but why would I need it on my PS3?

But you cant stop the human will to develop out of love - I mean, thats the foundation of games from the start. Piracy is just a way to not pay for peoples efforts.