• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PS3 PS3 hacked by Geohot

I have read/write access to the entire system memory, and HV level access to the processor. In other words, I have hacked the PS3. The rest is just software. And reversing. I have a lot of reversing ahead of me, as I now have dumps of LV0 and LV1.

3 years, 2 months, 11 days...thats a pretty secure system

Took 5 weeks, 3 in Boston, 2 here, very simple hardware cleverly applied, and some not so simple software.

Shout out to George Kharrat from iPhoneMod Brasil for giving me this PS3 a year and a half ago to hack. Sorry it took me so long :)

As far as the exploit goes, I'm not revealing it yet. The theory isn't really patchable, but they can make implementations much harder. Also, for obvious reasons I can't post dumps. I'm hoping to find the decryption keys and post them, but they may be embedded in hardware. Hopefully keys are setup like the iPhone's KBAG.

A lot more to come...

http://geohotps3.blogspot.com/2010/01/hello-hypervisor-im-geohot.html

Robby

Los Doyers!
Damn he is good, he just started working on it too.

Adiuvo

I certainly wonder what he's going to do with it. While homebrew would be nice, honestly, I think the system getting hacked would do more harm than good.

Also, link please?

Whisper

Logic :(
Wow this guy is good. I personally thought no one would take the time to figure it out.

Bill

Five weeks? Shit, this guy's got some crazy talent.

I just hope PS3 piracy doesen't run rampant.

I doubt it. Who wants to wait 2 weeks to download a ps3 game? The majority will want pay for convenience.

B

Bizarre

The only things that will come out of this is:
Custom themes (PSP kind)
Homebrew
Free games (but as mentioned above no one wants to dl over 20GB)

ChurchedAtheist

Your resident psycho hobo
Does this hack work on all models?(from the old 20/60 to the 40/80 and the slim)?

Bill

Does this hack work on all models?(from the old 20/60 to the 40/80 and the slim)?

On his site, it says the exploit is unpatchable, so I suppose it should be.

Also: I can't wait for the custom themes and homebrew. I also don't think anyone with enough coding experience will want to make an ISO loader for the PS3. Hopefully Sony will be nice about this if we don't have one released(unlikely).

El Diablo

I doubt it. Who wants to wait 2 weeks to download a ps3 game? The majority will want pay for convenience.

Not to mention blu ray discs are pretty expensive, or at least they were last time I tried looking online for them.

I really hope some homebrew and emulators are able to come out of his exploit. I don't want to pirate ps3 games, I just want some homebrew :(.

he probably do something like the dashboard/XMB hack on 360 and PSP

release only his updates and not Sonys but wanna make sure all doors open for everyone I guess?

lol good luck with that.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
The large size of games probably won't put too many off from pirating, unfortunate as it may be. People will probably start downsampling video and audio to distribute rips at a manageable size, just as they did back in the Dreamcast era. That's what takes up all the space. And Blu-ray discs? If the system is fully hacked I have no doubt some pirate group will release a program that allows you to boot games directly off the HDD.

In a nutshell, not much good is going to come from a PS3 hack.

B

Bizarre

^
I think a lot will come from this, just because free games is a minus for the PS3 doesn't mean there's nothing to it. I'm looking forward to the themes and what kind of homebrew people can make for the PS3. I remember last year a NES emulator was released without the PS3 getting hacked, so I can't wait to see what's going to happen in the PS3 scene.

Sousanator

Shockingly Delicious

If an ISO loader does get made, I have no doubt people would start downloading their games. 360 games are 8GB so its basically just like downloading 3-4 xbox 360 games (which would only take me 6-8 hours). There's also a possibility to have a built in ripper that will save the game onto the hard drive so you wouldn't even have to download the game (like the Wii and now 360).

Of course its still way to early to tell any of that, so we will just have to wait and see how this exploit expands

Lachrymose

smokeMeth();
Look at the warez scene releases.

Dark Void: 54x100 rars = 5.4gigs
Metal Gear Solid 4: 155x200 rars = 31gigs
Skate 2: 81x100 rars = 8.1gigs

They all range from small to VERY large, and scene groups have been releasing these since they could dump them.

GrayFox

It's people like him who ruin it for everyone who is legit in these matters. (making companies create DRM's that interfere which, in turn, drives up costs) It's nice he has skills and can do things like this, but why give it to all the criminals out there? Just to make a name for himself? :tdown:

If that's all he's out for he should be locked up so he can waste his life away in there (and this kind of thing contributes to ruining other lives in the long run, Sony Employees game companies who will lose money over this) or he should actually be using his talents for something useful, (CIA, DEA, etc.) not hacking a PS3 and giving the information over the net so douches can use it to do piracy and other illegal acts.

I mean to all those who say it'll be nice to make and use their own themes... you can do that... Free PS3 Themes and PS3 Themes Editor | PS3Vault
Unless you mean... like completely revamp the way it works altogether.

karnbmx

ceebs. :)
FINALLY!!! The three year record is broken!!

And as for pirated games, I don't think anyone in their mind would want to download PS3 games over the net. I guess they could pirate minis, but other than that, I don't think so.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
It'd take me about 3 hours to download 20GB. That's nothing. Besides tons of people pirate high-def movies in Blu-ray format that are almost just as large so I don't see why PS3 games would be any different. We aren't living in the 1Mbit cable days anymore..