• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PS3 PSGroove Released, Open Source PS Jailbreak

Distrance

If it only works on 3.41, but I haven't updated my PS3 in the ages, does this mean I can't use this ? Or is the current version available 3.41 ? Meaning I should update right away ?
If it isn't, and I dont have 3.41, how to get 3.41 ?

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
If it only works on 3.41, but I haven't updated my PS3 in the ages, does this mean I can't use this ? Or is the current version available 3.41 ? Meaning I should update right away ?
If it isn't, and I dont have 3.41, how to get 3.41 ?

Downloading 3.41 through Network Update should still be safe, Sony has never issued a stealth patch before. However - if you want to update manually, we have a copy of the firmware hosted here:

http://downloads.exophase.com/685/ps3-firmware-341/

Copy the .PUP file to the UPDATE folder on your USB mass storage device, plug it in, and you'll have the option to "Update via storage media" when clicking on System Update.

El Diablo

Distrance

Thanks for the link, I guess I'll do manual patch, just in case, assuming it's completely safe.
As for the Teensy board or the alternative ... To me it looks like a chip you'd see inside a computer or something so I was wondering how to handle these. Ex. can you touch and carry them barehanded or should I get a case for it ? ( from where? )
Why is this available only on those boards ( +n900 ) anyway ? Why won't normal USB stick do the job ?

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Thanks for the link, I guess I'll do manual patch, just in case, assuming it's completely safe.
As for the Teensy board or the alternative ... To me it looks like a chip you'd see inside a computer or something so I was wondering how to handle these. Ex. can you touch and carry them barehanded or should I get a case for it ? ( from where? )
Why is this available only on those boards ( +n900 ) anyway ? Why won't normal USB stick do the job ?

Regular USB sticks are not programmable, it will never work with those. This hack emulates a 6 port USB hub to trigger a heap overflow during the PS3's boot process. Like the N900, the iPhone and Android-based phones are candidates as well.

Carrying the Teensy along the edges should be fine. I'm not an electronics expert, but I doubt it's as delicate as, say, RAM. Still, I'd like to pick up a case for it as well, haven't found anything suitable yet though.

atavist13

Confused bout how to use the teensy, if i do get my hands on a 'Teensy', how do i flash it with the precompiled psgroove.hex file. :|....

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
It's extremely simple. Just use the Teensy Loader app here: http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/loader.html

While you have the device connected via USB, open up the HEX file that corresponds to your board from within the app then select Operations - Program to flash it. After that select Operations - Reboot to finish the process. :)

atavist13

and what bout the other one, the AT90USBKEY.... i downloaded the dfu programmer but its' a ".spec" file.. never heard of it... i'm extremely new to these things.. :(
I dont' even know if the 'Teensy' board or the AT90USBKEY board will be available in my country...might have to order online... :\

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor

Distrance

Thanks for the clarification x3sphere. If you do find a suitable case for the board, please do post so I may be able to obtain such or similar one to it as well.

MegaMatX

I own a PS3 Phat with firmware version 3.15. Is it possible to keep my Linux and Zerogamer project "EMU" and also install and run the psjailbreak, psbreak usb or ps groove: or do I have to upgrade firmware to 3.41 exactly? I want to use the psbreak usb and also keep my other os option and not to upgrade firmware, is this possible yet? Also are their any rumors of a patch or software for the psgroove, psjailbreak or psbreak to install the other os back onto slim models or to make it possible to keep the other os "Linux" and run the jail break as well??? Game on...

Hellcat

Contributor
The PSGroove is -as of yet- only compatibel with 3.41.
If, and when, it will be ported to other FWs.... no one can tell at the moment.

MegaMatX

The FW updates and PSN are all Sony have on PS-Groove, if this last challenge is overcome..we win. After that, home brew is the victor. The fact that these doggles are upgradeable gives me optimism for the future of the console modification scene. I just hope for the best! 4.2 is out and soon 5.o, so I will stick with my 3.15 fw and have some faith that ps groove and the progress made will be enhanced even farther, it can be done. Any info from the ps groove team about making it compatibel with all firmwares and undetectable by sony, please share

MegaMatX

Sorry to linger: or how about adding back the other os option and we stick with 3.41 via usb upgrade? Although that would leave out the future stuff sony adds to newer FW. If only we could find a way!! :)

atavist13

Okay is it possible to extract the game first on an external HD after downloading and then copy it to the ps3's internal HD?