• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Recommend me a TV!

Sir_Axxewraith

cant fux widdit
I'm looking for a 40-42" LCD TV. Price range

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Samsung right now makes some of the best LCD HDTVs out on the market, they out perform Sony's versions now (Sony tends to charge more and for "less"). Here's an excellent TV that's right in your price range and has good specs as well: Samsung LE40A656A - 40 Photo

Sir_Axxewraith

cant fux widdit
What are the advantages of Bravia Engine 2 over the Samsung alternative (assuming it has one)?

Also, for speakers, I was looking at this package. what does everyone think ?

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
What are the advantages of Bravia Engine 2 over the Samsung alternative (assuming it has one)?

Also, for speakers, I was looking at this package. what does everyone think ?

Good spearker package but that's very expensive :eek:

As for what the Bravia Engine 2 has over the Samsung, it's just marketing speak. The samsung I linked to will have better picture quality and Samsung has been known for their excellent picture quality for LCD's recently. Whenever I suggest a new HDTV I always suggest Samsung, they just seem to have better specs/picture for the money.

Sir_Axxewraith

cant fux widdit
Believe me this is not just being rich as I'm far from it, it's been a long time in the saving, and I'm STILL on a limit :p

Looking over the Samsung specs it really is a quite a powerful thing. 24P and 100Hz which is nice. I take it with all these specs it will fully support the sound package (each tweeter on a discrete channel?)

Bossmanuk

Contributor
The Samsung Series 6 is an excellent choice. I too would recommend staying clear of the Sony's, especially the L series (which is worse than the V or W series'). With 1080p and 100hz with 24p the Samsung series is the one to buy. I don't think you'll find better in this price range.

Greyone

Funny Little Green Ghouls
what will be your primary use for the tv?

my uncle bought this tv (non-uk link) and it was horrible. He likes it, and maybe it's just a personal preference, but I hate the way 120hz makes everything look. It didn't even really make a difference to turn it off. There was also quite some lag in movies and especially games. It's hard to explain how 120hz makes it look, almost like your playing the video at 1.5x speed.

this is close to what i had and I loved it, pq was awesome.

Those are both out of your price range, but I would try to go with a plasma if possible. You should also go to a store to compare some models you are looking at.

Sir_Axxewraith

cant fux widdit
I know what you mean, my ex girlfriend had it. It makes films look fake and TV like.

I was speaking to gman and he was saying disabling 100/120hz works but can also cause lag and jitter.